Dental Health Community
On Suboxone, in EXCRUCIATING PAIN, Dentist doesn't know what subox...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

On Suboxone, in EXCRUCIATING PAIN, Dentist doesn't know what suboxone is.

I've been on Suboxone for 3-1/2 years for opiate dependence.  I was supposed to be weaned after four months (per my doctor).  In the past year, I've had major tooth decay. I have always taken very good care of my teeth and people even asked me if they were real.  I HAD a very nice smile.  I am so devastated because I am now facing losing 4-6 teeth.  I told my doctor that I am going to be needing oral surgery and he said "the dentist should know about the suboxone."  Well...the dentist never heard of it.  I had ONE wisdom tooth pulled years ago and was very sick after the extraction (fever of 103, vomiting....just very, very sick) and in extreme pain.  I have two teeth that are literally throbbing. The pain is so bad. I went to a new doctor and he said "the suboxone should help with the pain."  Well, it doesn't.  I spoke to someone very knowledgeable about opiates and I was told that opiates, over time, prevent your body from absorbing calcium, leading to breakdown of enamel and tooth decay.  I am limited with my insurance and I discovered today that the root canals won't be covered because there is no medical history documented.  I am on medicaid and they need a reason for the root canals.  The REASON is the suboxone.  What do I do for the pain?  I can't get a straight answer from any doctor.  I am upset because these doctors are prescribing medications they know nothing about and I am paying the price....PHYSICALLY AND FINANCIALLY.  I need advice as to who I should see about my teeth and are there dentists that KNOW what suboxone is?   Desperate and time is running out.  Thanks.
I have been on suboxone, 8 mg 3 times a day for 4 years...   my teeth are now falling apart after having the most amazing teeth and always getting compliments from my dentist... now im embarrassed to go.      i have had two teeth completely fall apart, all the way down to the root.   i have multiple cavities, and i really dont know what to do??    if my insurance says it is "cosmetic", like the hole in my front tooth, then they just pull it???   i am so mad at myself for going on this medication, even though, i am not a street addict that did heroin or buy drugs from friends.... i have a severe arthritis condition and i wanted to get off of the narcotic meds, and this was my option so i wouldnt get sick.     4 years later, here i am, losing teeth because of this medication...      I have JUST stopped as of a week ago, and the withdrawal was minimal.       If you are thinking of getting on this med, do it for a VERY short term, then ween off!!!!   Teeth do NOT grow back.     trust me, please....  
I've been doing a lot of research on suboxone. I've heard and have experienced horrible, horrible withdrawals. My doctor cut my off abruptly.
Also, I've read many posts about people complaining about tooth problems since they started suboxone.  One woman wrote a long post on subsux.com (great site) and stated "suboxone is meth for your mouth"  I had to have emergency oral surgery two weeks ago and had two teeth extracted.  I am also facing losing about four more teeth.  They are literally crumbling quote from my dentist.  I try to explain that it's the suboxone, but they don't listen.  My insurance does not even cover root canals or crowns,. Their answer is to pull the teeth.
I've also read a NUMBER of posts where people are seeking a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer of suboxone...for tooth decay, their declaration that the withdrawal is easy (it's not) and many other claims about the drug.  I've done some research as far as depression and suboxone and was actually considering doing a "rapid detox". However, this procedure is extremely dangerous and you wake up with extreme cravings for the drug.  The physical addiction is gone, however the psychological issues that come afterward are horrific.  A couple of people claimed they attempted suicide. A couple of peple, including myself experience incessant crying and extreme depression....which does not go away in a day or two.
My biggest gripe is what this horrible drug has done to my teeth.  Check out subsux.com.  There is someone there who posted about tooth decay and mentioned "anyone down for a class action lawsuit?"  I responded yes, of course.  I am going to contact a lawyer as this drug has RUINED my teeth and my once decent life.
Just like you, I also was tired of taking narcotics to ease the pain for herniated discs in my neck.  So I went on Suboxone.  I was on the same dose as you for over 9 years.  My doctor had told me he would wean me off of this, but did the opposite, he just kept increasing the dose.  I also had perfect teeth, and a beautiful smile.  Approximately 3 years after being on the Suboxone, my teeth started falling apart.  It started with getting my molars and back teeth pulled, then progressed to having 4 to 6 teeth being pulled at a time.  I am left with 7 top front and bottom teeth.  I have not been able to eat normal foods in years.  In Nov I went for my 6 month cleaning and was told that all of my remaining teeth on top need to be pulled.  I went to a specialist who is going to pull them and put in a whole upper implant.  This is going to cost me over $16,000.00...which insurance wont cover.  I am not a "sue" type of person, however if there ever was a Class Action Lawsuit regarding this, my name would be on the list.  I am sorry for what you are going through, but am glad to know I am not alone.
I am in on a lawsuit on behalf of my son 22 years old and now has to have his entire mouth of teeth repaired- thankfully I think we cought in time to repair not pulled he has been on suboxone from July 2013 to March 2014 and prior to that he had beautiful teeth- somehow this company needs to pay for this damage to so many people - go to another site **************** and you will see many more stories of this and people who would be glad to join a lawsuit- this is now my mission in life and if I find someone to legally do this Class action I will post on above site so go there! my name on site is karmagives- I chose that name because I believe that karma does give back and so does my son- so I want everyone who had made sacrifices in their life taking this evil drug to get karma back to them
site is ************
my teeth are doing the same thing for 6yrs of suboxone. I was on K4's only for about 6 months and the doctor only wanted my money and didn't care how long I was on suboxone ! Where do I go to file a lawsuit to get dental implants? ***@****
Me and the wife have been on Suboxone 7 yrs 8mg 4x day. Are teeth are crumbling and we have to get dentures. Going Sept 2 for our ist appt. We got on this medication so we wouldn't have to be on pain pills in that we both have chronic pain issues. Is.a Class Action lawsuit a possibility??? If so email please I think it is necessary ......this is a horrible drug on our teeth.
My wife and I were on Suboxone for 5 year's, no one tells you the Nightmare it become's, over a month now and you will never shake the fact that it might be easier to just go back, but we both agreed death is better than that! Now, Our Stomachs , Bowels, are gone, and I mean GONE! I have to sit in the bathroom 4 to 7 Time's by 9 in the morning, WTF! These Drug dealers need to Pay, and then some, Please any help with this matter, would be forever grateful! ***@****