Dental Health Expert Forum
Oral Lichen Planus

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Oral Lichen Planus

It appears, in my case, that using Tarter Control Listerine triggered OLP, once I stopped useing it, the erosive/ulcer lated lesions began to clear up.  Lesions are much less noticable and less reddness now 3 weeks since stopping.  On my follow up, my dentist said it looks like i have OLP (whitish streaks on inside of cheeks), and it was probably triggered by the mouthwash, it will clear up on its own, not to worry and only come back if I notice more lesions or if I notice a lesion that won't heal.

He said also stress could have started the OLP and the mouthwash was an added irritant.

All of this has led me to look inside my mouth more than ever and I have some questions.

1)At the back of my tongue, on one side, there are 3-4 small growths (about where the tongue attaches to the back of the mouth), which I have to believe the dentist saw and must have dismissed as normal anatomy.

2) Also in the same general area, but more up where my tonsil use to be, still the same side, there also appears to be a growth, little more red.

Any thougths?  Thank you.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
More than likely these are your taste buds and the normal anatomy of your tongue. Not a bad idea to inspect your mouth and other areas of your body for abnormalities. It never hurts to ask.
I worked for a prosthodontist for 2 years and we had a patient that had Oral Lichen Planus with a complete upper denture and a lower partial. I am sorry for your situation. I think you should go see an oral surgeon they are very in tune to what is a concern as far as oral cancer and such things.  They can probably look at an area and tell you what they think.  Or they could always do a swab or even a small biopsy and send it off to be tested.  What's the harm?  Your mouth is probably constantly hurting what would a biopsy hurt?  Atleast you would know what is in your mouth and that it isn't going to hurt you more in the long run.  Look for the best oral surgeon in your area.  Ask several friends before you make a decision.  Don't just go to someone because they are on your insurance.  You don't want a insurance company to make a decision for you.  You want to go the best oral surgeon and make a decision on your own even if you have to pay for it.  Nothing really good comes free or even cheap!! Best of luck!
A related discussion, sores in mouth for 7 months was started.