Dental Health Community
Oral Surgery Gone Wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Oral Surgery Gone Wrong

It's been 4 weeks and I am still in excruciating pain from having 2 impacted wisdom teeth extracted. It's the right side of my mouth not healing properly. I went back to the surgeon 5 days ago and he says that the wound had not closed nor is it clotted. He says my says my jaw bone and nerves are still exposed to the air or anything that goes in my mouth and that is what is causing the pain. He sent me home without any medication and I cannot understand what is wrong with a modern society such as ours when a Doctor is scared to prescribe enough medication to help the patients they treat for pain. I am a working professional and I cannot even perform on my job due to the sickening pain that I am suffering on a daily basis. I need some help does anyone have any sugestions? I'm am desperate for help. I can now understand why people who live in daily pain get depressed and commit suicide. YOU JUST WANT TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO END THE PAIN AND AGONY. Thanks........

This discussion is related to chronic  jaw pain after impacted wisdom tooth removal.
Tags: surgery, Oral
i can understand your pain.....even though i have the vicodin 750mg., i still wake up in pain, and i already suffer from clinical depression, so it's 10x worse now. i only take 1 vicodin at night, if i take it throughout the day, my stomach gets severe cramping, as i had lost a lot of weight after a car accident last december.......i too, understand now why people kill themselves due to the depression of living w/ chronic pain...!
   do you have dry socket? cause' that's when your bone/ nerves are exposed. he should have given you antibiotics, and pain medication!!! wtf is wrong w/ these doctors?  
can you get to a neurologist? tell them whats going on, and im sure they should be able to give you a rx for pain meds. and possibly a rx to have your face x-rayed , like i now have to do........i cant explain this pain to anyone, and if people havent been through it, they just think your bullshitting about the pain......it's real, and it's scary.
i beleive i may have nerve damage, but im too disgusted, and too afraid to go back to the dentist who performed the extraction....so what am i to do? my gums are not healing properly either.......let me know how things go for you.....good luck, and like i said, go to the neurologist if you can....i didnt know one could see a neurologist for this problem, but a doc. at the e.r., said i could, so, thats what i did......
Each oral surgeon may have different management of post-op pain.You may be afflicted with dry socket, which is commonly associated with mandibular molar extraction. I can only tell you the way I manage dry socket,  if the patient does develop post-op pain of extraction site 3 days later after surgical procedure, I 'll administer local anesthesia, and thoroughly curette the socket, place colla-plug(a collagen product), and suture the wound. Systemic administration of amoxicillin+ metronidazole or clindamycin+ metronidazole. OTc pain killer ,depending if the patient need or not. Patients rarely suffers from post-op pain more than 3 days.
I am a 41 year old women in resonably good health.  I had 3 wisdom teeth removed in November and have experienced SEVERE pain since.  I did have an infection 4 weeks into postop.  Two weeks later I had a bone scan, cat scan and blood work.  All came back normal.  BUT I am still in severe pain,  worst of my life.  He says the sight looks good but if I am still in pain in 2 weeks he will do a biopsy.  Any advice.