Pain 10 years after root canal
I had a root canal about 10 years ago on an upper right molar (#3).  The crown chipped a couple of years ago and the tooth has recently started hurting (on and off).  Not sure how this is possible on a root canaled tooth.  It really hurts if I bite down on it then I feel my pulse in the tooth for 5 minutes.  My dentist took an x-ray and reffered me to an endodontist.  My regular dentist did not seem convinced either way if it needs re-treatment or not.  The other thing is I seem to have a slight "reffered" pain in a lower right tooth (feels a little like something is stuck between the teeth or that the tooth is loose, just a mild ache).  Do I need another root canal on a tooth that's already been treated?  Also heard that re-treatments are only successful 50 to 70% of the time?
It's possible there is an infection at the tooth root.  It could also be cracked as RC teeth can become brittle over the years.   Infection could also be pushing your tooth in a downward position which would affect the tooth below and could cause pressure pain.  Esp. if you clench you teeth at night.

There are a few things that can be done that would fit your individual case, but it would have to be tailored to you and you alone.  Repeat root canal, apicoectomy, or extraction with implant are all possibilities.   Only you and your dentist can decide which is your bet option.

GOOD LUCK.  Please let us know how you are doing.

My very best to you,
Gellia

Thanks, the bottom tooth doesn't touch any other teeth when I bite.  I see the Endodontist Monday.
and I do clench/grind my teeth at night.
Good luck on Monday!  
Let us know how you do and I'll be sending you good vibes!

Best to you,
G
I guess it magically fixed itself.  Doesn't hurt anymore.  The Endodontist saw nothing wrong with the x-ray and poked around and found nothing.  I'll call him if it acts up again, strange.