Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain 2-1/2 weeks after root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain 2-1/2 weeks after root canal

I had a root canal performed about 2-1/2 weeks ago on a tooth that I could tell was dying, but no pocket of infection showed up on the x-ray.  I've had two previous root canals on other teeth that went very well, but this one is different.  After 8 days on amoxicillin, I was still experiencing discomfort around the root area of the aforementioned tooth, so my dentist put me on Cleocin, 300 mg, twice day.  I'm almost two days into it, having taken four doses.  Not only is the root area of the recently-treated tooth still tender, but that whole side of my face feels slightly swollen and a little numb.  Any thoughts on this?
Your dentist may want to go back into the tooth to make sure that all of the infection has been removed.  Also, sometimes depending on the size of the cavity, the temporary filling may be spilled out into the gum area and irritated the gums as well.  
Hi Karen -- please let me know how this works out for you as I am having a very similar problem and am quite worried!
I will definitely keep you posted, Morgan, and you do the same!  After about a week on the 2nd antibiotic, Cleocin, I'm feeling a little better, but still feel some discomfort where I feel the roots of the recently-root canaled tooth are.  I'm wondering if Dr. Tsang was correct, and my dentist will have to go back into the tooth.  During the root canal, on the second canal he was "doing", my dentist said something to the effect that he came to a 'dead end'.  I asked in my follow-up appointment, "Did that mean you came to the end of the root and went into the gums?" and he said no, he just couldn't get any further.  Now I'm wondering if the root or the nerve or whatever was somehow curved or something, and the discomfort won't completely go away until that curved area is cleared out.  Otherwise, maybe it's still just sore from all the pushing and tugging he did as he (valiantly!) tried to get through.  (I really DO like my dentist!)  Any thoughts, anyone?
Its possible that its due to the root canal itself.  If there is stoppage of the canal, it may be curved and he didn't get all the way down through the canal to remove all the infected tissue.    I would allow about 4 weeks for the area to heal and if it doesn't resolve by then, a root canal retreatment may be needed.