Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain After Filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain After Filling

Hello...I have a question about a filling, but I'll explain the situation first.

Nearly a month ago (March 10th), I had two composite fillings done. One was on tooth #29...and since then the tooth has been causing some problems. Not long after the numbness wore off, I noticed it was difficult to chew things on the right side of my mouth because it would cause pain in that tooth. I began chewing on my left side. Also, when I floss between that tooth and the one next to it (#30), I get pain that shoots through that tooth, especially when I pull the floss back up between the two. I went in a little over a week ago and got three more fillings done, but didn't bring up this pain because it had actually started to seem to be getting better and my dentist brought up sensitivity with the amalgam fillings that I had done, so I chalked it up to just sensitivity. A few days after that appointment, so basically this past week, the pain still seems to be there. I can't chew crunchy stuff on that tooth because if it hits right, I get a pain through that tooth. Flossing still hurts as well...doesn't hurt the gums, but the tooth gets a sharp and intense pain through it.

After doing some research I just can't decide if this is something I should go back in for, or if it's just going to be sensitive. Some of what I've read is it could be the bite, but everything turned out fine at the filling and nothing feels off with that.

I'm thinking about calling my dentist and asking if I should come back before making another appointment. Let me know what you think! I can also provide more info if needed.
Its common to have sensitivity after fillings due to a bite problem.  When we fill your teeth, we ask you to bite on a little piece of paper to mark the bite marks on your teeth.  Because you're usually numb, your bite motion may be off (as its hard to tell where you are).  This can cause us to miss any marks that may normally be there once the numbness wears off.  Also, the paper marks it but it doesn't tell us how hard its putting pressure on, just that its touching.  I think a simple adjustment may help with this problem.

I just flossed a little while ago and got the sharp pain in that tooth that has settled into a dull ache in my jaw below those teeth (29 and 30). I will probably get it checked out soon. Hopefully it's just the simple adjustment.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!
They may want to check the filling and see what's going on between the teeth.  An x-ray may be necessary but they'll let you know.
Hello again,

This past Monday I went back in to see my dentist. He took an x-ray and found nothing to be wrong with the tooth, filling, or my bite. After asking some questions and doing a couple quick tests, the only thing he could think of is that it didn't bond correctly. So he took the filling out and put a new one in. He told me that if I was still having the pain (when I chew hard/crunchy things and flossing) by Thursday or Friday I should call and they would try a different type of filling.

The tooth seemed to be a bit sensitive the first few days and still had some minor pain when doing those things, as expected, but appeared to be much better than the first time it was filled. Friday evening I had some fro-yo and my tooth seems to be a bit cold sensitive, which it wasn't before, and began to hurt when I was eating the toppings on it. That evening I flossed and the pain through my tooth, is back to about what it was feeling like prior to the re-fill. I just flossed this evening and it did it again. It also hurt when I ate dinner this evening too. Nothing overly painful, but annoying.

Anyway, I'm curious if I should try and let it go for now and see if it gets better? Should I call back and go in again? I've had composite fillings growing up and have never had a problem. It was nearly two months to the day between the first filling and the re-filling. Also, what kind of filling could be done besides amalgam? I don't think I would want that there since it would be noticeable. Thank you for reading!
In terms of fillings, they could place a gold filling or a porcelain filling as an alternative to amalgam or composite.  

I would say you should contact your dentist to see what he/she would recommend.  It sounds like you may have an irreversible pulpitis, which is an inflammation of the dental pulp which can't be stopped.  It may progressively worsen over time.  It would be best to address the issue as soon as possible.  Another alternative is to remove the current filling and replace it with a temporary filling and see how the tooth responds.  But continual treatment on the tooth isn't ideal either as there's trauma each time the dentist needs to work on the tooth with the high speed handpiece (drill).

Sorry, wish I had better news but there's no clear answer.  I would suggest discussing with your dentist.