Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain Chewing-had root canal abd crown years ago

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello. I am currently experiencing a lot of pain in a molar that I had a root canal in about 10 years ago and a crown placed over it two years ago. The pain is usually only when I chew on it. I am almost 100% certain that the pain is coming from this tooth and not the one next to it. When I tap the crowned tooth it hurts, the one next to it does not. I don't understand why this tooth would hurt if the nerves are dead. Is this even possible? I have been grinding/clenching my teeth at night more than normal(I don't use a mouthguard, but I know that I should)...could this be the cause? I'm wondering if the pain is just from the pressure on my gums from clenching or if it is something more serious. Either way, it is bothersome and so I'm just trying to get some feedback. I did call my dentist and am hoping to get in ASAP.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that there is a recurrent infection under the previous root canal.If the infection does exist it will certainly give you the symptoms that you are describing. A visit to your dentist is obviously needed.
there could be a fracture in the tooth, or a recurrent abcess (abscess), or a periodontal issue--- without seeing you it is hard to tell but your dentist should be able to tell after examining you and takng a film. regardless it is quite possible there is an infection brewing so i'd try to get in to your dentist asap.
So I'm sitting here with wads of cotton in my mouth absorbing blood Just had a molar extracted. I used to grind and clench my teeth at night. Then I got braces and that got fixed by changing my bite. After braces came off I noticed one of my crowned molars hurt when I was eating. Ended getting a root canal and new crown only to find out 4 months later the tooth had a vertical fracture in it. Was told by 2 endos it had to come out. Today it was finally pulled. Your symptoms sound very familiar. Unfortunately extraction is the only solution. An infection brews in the crack that starts chewing away at your bone structure. These fractures don't often show up on xrays. The endo uses a probe and can feel missing bone along the root. That is usually the giveaway. Grinding and clenching help cause the fracture. Let me know what you find out. Now I am going to heal 4 months and get an implant. I am just happy to be finished with the pain, infections and hassles! Plus who knows what chronic infection can do longterm to your immune system?