Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after Crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain after Crown
PWW
My wife received a crown on her bottom molar, last tooth on the left, 2 months ago.  It was a painful 3 trip ordeal.  Since the permanent crown, she has had intermittent severe pain, radiating around the left side of her jaw.  The pain is relieved with ibuprofen.  Any explanation? is it her bite? does she need root canal?  is it a bad crown? how long should we wait to see if pain subsides?  It is not constant, but when it occurs it is severe.  She vows never to go through this procedure again. If she needs RCT and another crown on the same tooth, she'll crumble.  Thanks
It could be the bite or it could need a root canal.  Sometimes after a crown is placed, the tooth can be sensitive due to the trauma of drilling the tooth.  This could lead to the tooth requiring a root canal.  You should have your dentist check the bite,  the crown margins and also the vitality and sensitivity of the tooth.  She should not have to live in pain so don't wait too long to go.
PWW
As an addendum: my wife informs me that she is sensitive to hot and cold.
PWW
Thank You MB
she should not still have pain. something is not right..
could be poorly fitting crown, open margins, high occlusion, fracture in the tooth, nerve inflammation, periodontal (gum) issues. etc etc. if you are not satisfie with the answers you get from your dentist, get another opinion. this should not be that difficult or that much of a mystery.
A few days ago I went back to my dentist because of the pulsating pain around the crowned tooth. I did have a root canal on the lower bottom tooth. The dentist did a series of diagnostic tests. The xray on the crowned tooth looked totally normal. No cracks, dark spots or anything. He tapped the crowned tooth and each tooth on either side of the crowned tooth. No pain for me there. He applied cool air around the area. No discomfort. He applied that cool gel to the crowned tooth and to the teeth in the front and back of the crowned tooth to check the nerves. I felt no pain. Of course the crowned tooth felt no sensation because of the root canal that was done on it. He poked around the ridges and gumline and no breaks or leaks were evident. The dentist said this was a real enigma. The first month the crown was on it felt perfect. I get a quick pulsating pain, and itchy feeling around the crown. Near the gums. It feels like the crown just isn't a perfect fit. If I chew on the left side, my gums feel a burning sensation. Like the crown is digging into it. Could I be allergic to this crown? Could there be too much cement under the crown pushing on my gums? Any idea on what the problem could be? Help!
I was fitted for 3 crowns a week ago yesterday.  I have been back to the dentist twice since.  The first time he thought it may have been that he used too much cement.  The second time he took the temps all the way off and cleaned up around the temps.  He advised that I should feel relief after each visit.  I am on ibuprofen every 4 hours.  If I miss a dose, I feel much pain.  The pain has radiated to my temples and my face is swollen on the side where the crows were placed (right side).  I asked during the last visit if I might need a root canal and he replied "no."  I don't want to go back and be poked around with again, but I am tired of the pain.  Should I see an endodontist? or oral surgeon?  The problem is that I have paid for the crowns.  They are expected to be back in 3 weeks.  Should I wait until they come in so that whomever I go to next can replace these temps.  I just don't know if I can deal with the pain and I don't like having to take the medication for that long.