Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after a root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain after a root canal

I started having pain in #2 two weeks ago.  I was diagnosed with an abscessed tooth, and had to have a root canal.  I was on antibitoics for 4 days prior to the root canal.  After opening the tooth, it was found to still have quite a bit of infection in it.  They left the tooth open to drain, and switched my antibiotic.  After a day or two the pain disappeared completely.  I went in the following week to complete the root canal.  It was finished Feb 15.  I started having pain again on the 17th.  The pain is not actually the tooth - no pain when I chew or press on it - it seem to be in the jawbone.  I'm having temp sensitivity also, which causes a throbbing pain.  It is still controllable with OTC meds.  Is this type of pain normal after a severe infection/root canal, or should I go back and have my tooth re-checked?  Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds to me that there is still an active infection present. Yes I would have it checked out. I am not sure the antibiotics will solve the problem in the long run.
Thanks for your response.  It actually turned out to be a sinus infection. Just weird coincidence.  :)
I HAD THE FIRST PART OF A ROOT CANAL ON TOOTH #3 MARCH 17,2006. THERE WAS NOT REALLY ANY PAIN RIGHT AFTER, BUT NOW IT IS REALLY SEVERE. I HAVE MY NEXT APPOINTMENT ON WED. BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN WAIT THAT LONG. IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN TAKE OVER THE COUNTER UNTIL I CAN GET IN? I'VE BEEN TAKING MOTRIN.