Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after a root canal
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain after a root canal

I started having pain in #2 two weeks ago.  I was diagnosed with an abscessed tooth, and had to have a root canal.  I was on antibitoics for 4 days prior to the root canal.  After opening the tooth, it was found to still have quite a bit of infection in it.  They left the tooth open to drain, and switched my antibiotic.  After a day or two the pain disappeared completely.  I went in the following week to complete the root canal.  It was finished Feb 15.  I started having pain again on the 17th.  The pain is not actually the tooth - no pain when I chew or press on it - it seem to be in the jawbone.  I'm having temp sensitivity also, which causes a throbbing pain.  It is still controllable with OTC meds.  Is this type of pain normal after a severe infection/root canal, or should I go back and have my tooth re-checked?  Thanks!