Dental Health Community
Pain after crown and root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain after crown and root canal

Three years ago bottom tooth (next to last) corner broke. This tooth never hurt before or even when it broke.  X-ray did not show any problems and was fitted for a crown.  Of course had temp till the crown came in.  The first crown was too high and dentist had another made.  This crown was still too high and my tooth was sensitive and hurt if I bit down too hard.  She filed down several times, still did not feel any better.  After couple months I keep feeling it with my tongue, she took another x-ray which was fine and said I just needed to leave alone but may later down the road need root canal.  A couple years later did have root canal by another dentist in office that did these.  He did root canal and put temporary filling in which they called "medicine" for six weeks and I came back for permanent filling.  During that six week period, my tooth felt best it had, no pain!   Went back, dentist put permanent filling in, took x-ray to make sure ok and said may be sore for few days.  My tooth continued to be sore and hurt biting down.  More in the area where tooth originally broke and gum in that area was irritated.  I decided to give it time to see if better.  After 7 months no better, went to another dentist.  He took another x-ray and showed nothing.  He felt the crown was too big and filed down again to see if any better.  Went back two weeks later, still not better and he sent my x-rays to an endodontist.  The  endodontist said he could try to do another root canal, but felt would not do any good and thought I probably have a crack in the root.  My dentist said he could try one more thing which is take the old crown off and put temporary on to see if made any difference.  I had this done and still not better. One thing I was wondering if there was any kind of infection there even if not showing up on x-ray.  I was on z-pak four months after root canal for something else, but it made no difference in that tooth.  My biggest question is a root canal when everything is taken out it should not hurt. During the time I had the temporary filling in root which they called "medicine" it felt the best, although I will say a couple of days before I had permanent filling in for root canal  I had a  slight soreness in that tooth but dismissed it thinking maybe I had bitten down on something too hard eating.  None of the x-rays have ever showed anything.  Could I have a crack in root?  Was it just the "medicine" in the temporary filling that made it feel better during that six week period?  What do they use for the temporary filling?  I am trying to save this tooth, but afraid I may lose it.  Do you have any answers?