Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain after filling
I had a filling repaired on the 1st of March, it had decay and needed cleaning out. After about a week the left side of my face felt like it was on fire, I went back and got some antibiotics. I took two doses of antibiotics and the pain went away. I notice at this point that my bite was to high. I was also having some minor headaches and a swollen feeling in my cheek. So now a month after having the tooth filled I went back to the dentist and had him adjust my bite. There where a few days before having my bite adjusted where I wasn't experiencing either symptom but after having the bite adjusted both symptoms have come back. How long should it take for these pains to go away, or is this a symptom of a bigger issue?
Adjusting the bite shouldn't have made it worse.  It may be due to some trauma to the tooth from the drilling so I would give it a few days to see if it improves.  If it doesn't, it may indicate the tooth needs a root canal.