Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain after fillings

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain after fillings
About 1 month ago I had 5 cavities filled.  None were giving me problem, just got them done to prevent any future root canals.  Ever since them I've had a dull radiating pain in both my upper and lower jaw where the cavities were filled.  I've gone back numberous times and they put a desensitzing gel on 3 times and it hasn't helped.  They have taken additional x-rays on two different occasions and everything looks fine.  Nothing in particular seems to bring about the pain either.  Just out of nowhere it'll start producing pain.  I'm gonna go back again on monday or tuesday and see what my options are at this time.  Anyone have any ideas of what is going on?  3 teeth up top and two on the bottom were done.  I just don't know what to do...  They were all white composite fillings as well which i've never had any problems with before.  Any input is greatly appreciated.
My gut feeling is the discomfort is a direct result from the composite fillings.This sometimes occurs and certainly can be disconcerting especially when the teeth did not bother you to begin with. I think you have two options.You can wait it out for a while and see if it improves or remove the fillings that seem to be the culprit and place a sedative filling until it becomes asymptomatic and then refill them.I do not feel that every tooth has to be filled with composite if there is not a cosmetic issue.