Dental Health Community
Pain after root canal. Fractured?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain after root canal. Fractured?

Help!

I had a root canal a few months ago. Pain improved - but returned a few weeks later. DDS reluctantly re-opened the tooth, removed (gutta percha) filling and found what he thought was more live tissue, which he removed. This time, he left the canals unfilled, but closed tooth with a temp. filling. Pain subsided, but again returned a few weeks later. The endo suspected fracture, although no sign of tissue granulation or other visual indication of fracture. After he cleaned out the canal, pain went away - but it's back again!

Here's my question: Would pain caused by a fracture be relieved by root cana;l therapy - even temporarily? I'm almost ready to accept that the tooth is fratured, except I can't understand why the tooth always improves after he re-treats it.
This is not a tooth a can easily afford to lose - since I had several teeth extractedyears ago following what we thought was failed root canals; turns out I had facial neuralgia. I doubt this is the case this time - because its happening on the other side - and when it WAS neuralgia, no dental treatment of any kind relieved the pain (a low dose of Elavil eventually controlled the pain until it went away completely).

Any endo experts out there?  Thanks!
even with a root canal your tooth will have pain if it is fractured.  maybe there are other factors, you said he had to retreat once right?  get another opinion from another endodontist.  
Thanks for your comment. I know that fractured teeth are usually NOT helped by root canals; that's why I'm puzzled as to why the pain went away after the endodontist treated the tooth! He did 're-treat' it once. He used a larger file the than is normally required for a pre-molar went he went back in the second time- and that's when he found what he thought was more live tissue. He said that this only happens (with this particular pre-molar)  about 5% of the time (just my luck)! And I did improve - but the pain is back again. Hope someone in the endo biz has an answer!!

By the way; whenever the pain returns, it' seems to happen within an hour of when I've flossed near the distal of the tooth. I really don't think it's gum irritation, though. That usually goes away pretty quickly - and there's no bleeding or other signs of gum problems in the area of the tooth.
unfortunatly some people will continue to experience pain for some time after endo treatment.  i dont think you can get an answer from the internet, there are no possible ways other than maybe this or maybe that.  if the infection at the apex was bad, it might just take some time to heal.  
There was NO sign of infection at any time.The canal looked absolutely clean when he went in, and the x-rays were also negative. I agree that it's difficullt to get a real diagnosis online, but it helps to read that others have had similar symptoms - especially if their outcome was eventually positive.
Were you able to bite on the tooth without pain, or was it sensitive to touch laterally or sensitive to cold?  Just wondering.  I have a rootcanaled tooth that is old, but is sore, but the endo says it looks great.   He will go back in, but I think its just a clenching thing.....?????   I wonder what others teeth feel like when they are going through this....Lynda
does the tooth hurt when you bite down?  does it feel discomfort if you push on the tooth from the side?  does it hurt when you release your bite? those are things your dentist will try to see if it were a crack or not.  i worked in dental for years, doing endo but not a specialist.  i have seen people have discomfort for months after then nothing.  i know you want an answer but i doubt even a dr will give you a 100% diagnosis right now.  its a waiting game.  did they finish the tooth by placing a post or crown?
You mentioned pusing tooth side to side w a rootcanaled tooth....is a symptom....mine hurt below the tooth and only symptom was side to side pressure, felt sore, or tender...but xray says great....Have you seen this?  What was the outcome?  A redo?  take the crown off and redo?  Leave it alone?  Another one feels the same way, opposite side, but this one is way more tender...both molars.....lower.....Lynda
i have seen it be a symptom of a cracked tooth, but not always.  so dont listen to me, im just trying to offer this poor guy some sort of possibility since he so desperatly needs an answer lol.   as far as xrays go, you wont see a fracture almost all of the time. you would have to be very lucky if you did.  that is why cracks can go undetected other than by pain. a dds would have to tell you your options.  even with a crown on the tooth, dont chew very hard or crunchy foods.  no ice! lol.  if there were a fracture it doesnt even have to be hard to sometimes give it the last push
SO i guess clenching on it w a nightguard is bad....what do u mean the last push, then what would the symptoms be?  I have developed jaw pain from all this stress....and TMJ probs.....
I was really hoping to get an 'expert' opinion. I'd also like to know what value, if any, you place on the use of lights and microscopes to detect fractures....
if you want to talk to a dds you must go to the other forum and pay $5.  im not a dds, but i was an RDA for 18 years.  lights can detect a fracture sure, if the dds should get lucky.   look a tooth is a crystaline structure.  think of a piece of ice.  you drop it.  you may see lots of little cracks, but they may not break the ice.  there may be one little tiny fracture that will actually split it, but the odds of detecting it are slim.  if it were that easy you wouldnt be on here asking this question over and over.  why cant you go to a dds in person and find this info out?  a light can detect some fractures, but not all.  an intraoral camera might detect but again, if the crack is below the gumline, under a crown or just not in view, symptoms and tests are the only thing you can use.  really trying to get your tooth "fixed" throught the internet is pointless.  you will need a dentist in the long run anyway.

lynda by the last push i meant to finally break the tooth.  again you need to be diagnosed and treated by a dds in person.  should a dds be here (there is one on another forum here) they would instruct you to see your dds, that they can only give you possiblities. and only what they feel comfortable giving out over the net.  good luck to you, i hope you get it taken care of.
I have been having a lot of pain biting down on a tooth after having bitten into something hard.  I went to a dentist who look an x-ray and said that half the filling had come out.  He refilled the tooth and said I could then chew normally with no pain.  I still have pain when I chew with that particular tooth. I don't know if it's just a normal reaction to the filling work (I only had it done two days ago) or a possible fracture.  He said my tooth had a small crack in it but that the filling should hold it together.

My question, after reading your statement that many times fractures do not show up on x-rays, is how then do dentists diagnose a fracture?  I really don't want to go the root canal route and then later find out it was useless because of a fractured tooth.

If the pain doesn't improve by Monday, I'm going to call my dentist and see what else he can do, but I don't want to go in blind with no idea what route to take next.

A reply would be greatly appreciated.
gidget a filling doesnt hold a tooth together.  a crown holds a tooth together.  you can see some fractures or cracks.  some dont mean much, some do.  symptoms reveal a crack.  a tooth that was recently filled might be sensitive for several days.  if after a week it bothers you go back the bite could need to be adjusted. im not a dentist, i was an asst so i am telling you things that i learned over the years.  a tooth that has a filling in it can become more of a risk to cracking and breaking.  the filling acts as a wedge (like in a log).  the chewing and pounding away can cause the break in the tooth.  a crown covers a whole tooth, it isnt alway needed though.  what kind of filling did you have? there are some tooth colored materials that bond to the tooth , maybe that is what he meant by holding it together.  right now your sensitivity is most likely due to a new filling rather than a crack.  
Thank you very much for your quick reply.  The pain was so bad last night (like biting down on a tuning fork) that I went back to my dentist today.  He tried smoothing down the filling and if anything the pain actually got worse. The filling was the old fashioned silver type, not the tooth colored material.

Anyway, he took another x-ray and said my tooth was fractured in three places.  He said we could try a temporary crown, which I went ahead and had done. He said he thinks he might have been able to file down the factured areas but could not be 100% sure and if I had still had pain when chewing, I would then have to consider root canal work (which I'm terrified of).  

I'm almost afraid to eat again on the chance that the chewing pain will still be here.

I appreciate your response very much.

Thank you.

Gidget
Hi, it's me again.  Well, I wanted to test my new temporary crown by chewing something so my husband bought me an ice cream cone. Well, when I bit into the cone, I saw stars, the pain was just as bad as before and there was terrible throbbing afterwards.  Is is this a normal reaction to having a temporary crown put in or does it sound like I will wind up needing root canal?

Please advise.

Gidget
Just wrote a long detailed story and had to reset my password!.... I had a root canal 1 1/2 years ago due to a piece of molar chipping off. Had a crown put on first by dentist and proceeded to have biting pain. So had root canal done by very schooled, recommended endo. Went fine, xrays text book perfect. Only still had biting pain and also have the discomfort when pressing the sides. I can feel this if I suck my cheek on that side. I have been back to the endo at least twice and it is like he refuses to believe there is anythng wrong because the xray are so good , he practically told me I was imagining this. I now am going back again and I was told by his secretary that he feels there is nothing wrong and I'm sure I'll have to fight to have him open the tooth and look with the magnifier. By the way, It blows my mind that the specialist does not do this BEFORE the root canal.What is up with that, it does not makes sense. Anyway, it cost me loads of money and I prob should see a different endo but the closest is 1 1/2 hrs away and I'd have to pay for that too. Why is this guy being so stubborn. I can't eat on that side at all. TELL ME PLEASE, does the pressing on the sides of the tooth and feeling discomfort mean there is a crack and it needs to  be pulled.? thanks,n
no it doesnt mean the tooth has to be pulled.  this forum is patient to patient there are no dentists here.  if you were to go to the dentist forum they would tell you without xray or exam they cannot diagnose you .  that is true.  there are some people that just have odd feelings after a root canal.  this is my suggestion, either live with it, or see the other specialist.  crappy advice but at this point there is nothing else to be said.  when i said it could be a sign, its also a sign that clouds mean it could rain. meaning nobody can say for sure.  when a root canal is done they use xrays or special equipment to decide how far down the root to the tip (but not passed it) they need to go with their cleaning.  they then place material into the canals.  the xray will show it being text book perfect, but there can still be problems from time to time. he is probably stumped and cannot see a reason for the pain.  like i said earlier, cracks are not always 100% easy to determine.  
Hi, thanks for replying. I had xrays since and exam. Yes, he (and my regular dentist and an oral surgeon) do not know the reason for the pain). Oral surgeon said it is prob. a crack and needs to be pulled, dentist pretty much says the same. They don't know what else to do. I don't know what to do. It's been a year and a half. I don't think it needs more time to heal and I really can't live with it. How does a person live with using one side of their mouth. That side is getting twice as much use and I see trouble down the road. Are you saying the special equipment is the magnifier, please elaborate, I do not know what to do and the stress is really taking it's toll. thanks, n
well if two drs are telling you your options at this point is to pull the tooth, then do it.  get an implant and you will love it.    some teeth just cannot be saved.  
I wouldn't get an implant. It is the last molar on the bottom. Anyone else have the discomfort when pressing on the sides of the tooth and biting pain? thanks
it doesnt matter what anyone else experiances. it what you feel.  get the tooth out, know the one above it will continue to grow down into the place of the extracted tooth.  that is pretty much all you can do.  even if anyone says they feel the pain as you do how does that help you?  i know i seem harsh but after working in a dentist office for many years and patients not wanting to do what is needed but complaining for months or years, you gotta wonder why they wont just fix the darn tooth?
Well I never heard the top tooth will keep growning ,not from the dentist, oral surgeon or from people who have had the back tooth taken out. That's just great, just what I need to hear.  And as far as doing the right thing and fixing the tooth, that's what I'm trying to do!!!!! . I am getting no answers from the "professionals" who should know better. My dentist told me he is stumped , oral surgeon said it sounds like a crack, could be a missed canal. The endo practically came out and told me I'm  imagining it. He will not do his job and help me or advise me. So, yes, you are being harsh. I have been thrown to the wolves by the "professionals" , to do all my own research, to figure out their job. What is the problem with dr.s and dentists today?  All I want to know is what is wrong with my tooth, what to do about it. The oral surgeon was supposed to test me for TMJ but he decided  againist it for some reason, doesn't care?, I never  even got the panoramic xray. No one wants to help. It's not me, I have been living with this uncertainty and discomfort for one and a half years. I am SICK over it. How is it right that the patient has to try to find out what is wrong with them and tell the doctor what to do?  I have been searching the web, books and asking people for all this time, trying to figure out what to do. If this were a pain in my arm etc, would they same thing happen? My endo has a superiority complex, they are all not helping me. I'm  paying you. Take the time to check all my teeth, the bite, the root canalled tooth ,whatever, I am not a thing to be disregarded. Thanks
I have the exact problem.....after 9 mos no one knows what is wrong with my tooth and why I still cant chew on that side of my mouth.
yes a tooth needs to oppose something. so when a tooth is removed it will continue to "grow" up or down till it reaches something  usually the gums.  it very well could be a missed canal.  it coud be a crack.  i dont understand why you arent getting the attention you need or deserve other than maybe they are stumped and they should admit it if they are.  how are you with them? i mean are you cordial or fiesty? lol.  might make a difference sad to say.  how many dds have you looked at?  again im not a dds, but have many years experiance in the field.  maybe you need to contact a dental school and see if they will see you.  sometimes the younger hip dentists are very excited to be able to do more than the previous guy.   id find another endodontist if i were you.  the dental field is a tight group where they all know of each other.  hopefully you can find one that isnt best friends with the dr that did your procedure.  its very possible for a tiny little canal to be missed.  or some tissue to not have been cleaned out all the way.  find another endo, if he feels he can treat it then try to get your money or part recovered from the previous dds.  good luck on that one though.  maybe the o.s didnt feel you suffered from tmj.   really its not hard to diagnose if there is a problem.  do you grind your teeth at night? do you walk around with a clenched jaw?  is there pain in your ears?  is there popping when you chew and are hard or chewy things uncomfortable to chew?  the pano is to determine how much wear they may be on the joint.  there are occationally the tooth that with proper treatment and all , it still fails. its not the dr fault or your fault.   it just happens.  so that is an iffy thing too.  
Fionagirl,.. So  do you have biting pain and does it cause discomfort(not the right word really, it is just a feeling that is not supposed to be there) to press on the sides of the tooth or try to wiggle it? What are you going to do?  Please keep me posted and if  you have time, I'd love to hear your story, thanks...............Pertykitty, Yes, I am cordial, maybe overly. I like my dentist very much and I understand where he is coming from. He is candid and told me he's seem this before and believes I did the right thing by going to the Endo (who did the root canal) and the oral surgeon. It is those two who have me up in arms. I thought about seeing another endo but if my original one missed the canal he should fix it. I don't have a lot of money... I clench my teeth. I even had a bite guard made but I am sensitive and can not wear it. I do have tmj also. My jaw goes to one side. I am so angry that the oral surgeon/tmj specialist did not do a work up on me.  He could see I had tmj. I realize maybe the tooth did just fail. All I want is confimation. I don't want to pull my tooth if the problem was a missed canal that can be fixed, does that makes sense. Or in your opinion is opening the tooth and looking inside going to make matters worse in some way. The nurse/receptionst  told me it was a simple procedure and doesn't need novacaine and they don't remove the gutta percha Is this true. I do thank you for all your knowledge and replies. I am just so frustrated as you can imagine! N
another thing is do you feel you are hitting this tooth first when you bite? maybe they need to adjust your bite.  yes your original shoud fix it, but if he refuses to see it could be a possiblity what do you do?  sorry i cant think of anything more.  if your jaw actually is being pulled to one side, you should have something done.  your bite is off, and it needs to be corrected.  its very painful, i know i wear a nightgaurd for this too.  do you have periodontal problems? maybe that tooth has issues there?  that could be a concern too but i would imagine at this point the 3 different drs would have already checked that.
Not hitting this tooth but one of my teeth is hitting, that's another thing. And the odder thing is , on certain days I feel it more than other days.  I have been to the dentist so many times to check this and when he does it comes out that my bite is fine. The endo checked too . But still, I feel one tooth hitting first. This is another example of them not being able to fix a simple problem.  My jaw is not painful,thank God,  but if my open my mouth wide, you can see w here it veers off to one side. No peridontal problems. Thanks for the input......N
New here to posting.  My husband had a postivve sensitivity to cold on tooth 14 and 15 -- he chipped 14 and had it temporarily filled as we were living the country and was told to come back for a potential root canal when we returned.  the Dentist send him to an endo who started a root canal on 14 -- prior to the root canal there was no pain just this sensitivity to cold -- since the start of the root canal on 14 my husband has this dull constant annoying pain as he describes it on that side of his face.  This is Feb when this takes place -- in July he started complaining of more tooth pain and in Aug at the beginnig of the month he went back to the dentist and he practically jumped out of the chair when he repeated the cold test on tooth 15.  It had NEVER  been that reactive.  He sent him back to the endo for ? root canal on 15.  The Endo seems to be running scared and tried to tell me his wife that he never started the root canal on 14 -- there is nothing wrong with 15 -- the endo disagrees completely with te dentist and my poor husband who is a health care professional himslef is suffering like a ginny pig inbetween.  They are saying they think he has some sort of idiopathic facial pain??? are they trying to politely tell him it is all in his head -- I'm an RN and simply want to advocate for my husband as I would for any other patient.  PLEASE PLEASE LET THERE BE SOMEONE QUALIFIED OUT THERE -- can you please tell me should we persue the dentist beliving this is a dental issue which can be resolved and have tooth 15 checked out by a different endo?  or should be go see a neurologist as suggesed.  He did try elavil and had some relief but eh dose hit 100mg and made him to tired to work.  if that FYI helps.  It does not hurt at all when biting down on it or chewing -- it gets worse as the day goes on and he eats or drinks or talks in general.  he feels best in the morning when he wakes up from sleeping.  another FYI he uses CPAP and te band for the facial mask does go acrosss that area -- is there a chance that they started the root canal and the pressure from the elastic facial band is plaing a role in this???? PLEASE SEND ANY HELPFUL ADVICE AS SOON AS POSIBLE.  tHANKS.
Hi Paddycakes here -- where and how do I get tto the website for 5.00 to ask a DDS a question? that might be an idea as well.  thanks for any info -- i meant to add i believe my husband had a crown put on 14 before the root canal was mentioned it was needed.  does that pose a problem and would he be having this facial pain as they call it if they did the root canal on the wrong tooth be cause 15 seems to be a big problem now -- i'm wondering if 15 was the problem all along not 14 -- and if they cut healty nerve and tissue at 14 is that the pain???? the endo seems to be running scared and we're really decent people and can't figure out why he is acting so bizarre.  Thanks
Paddycakes again -- need to clafiry something -- I spoke to my husand and he actually started with this dull throb of an achy pain after the tooth started being prepared for a crown.  The dentist did and x-ray and said it looked a little faded so maybe he'd need a root canal -- sent him to an endo who did not agree that a root canal needed to be done on 14 but wasn't sure -- so the dentist sent him to a different endo who said well " since the dentist thinks you need a root canal on 14 let's do it" and it was done and the pain still exists and is worse in some instance.  NOW WHAT DO WE DO???? i dont' want my husband to be labeled with this idiopatic facial pain bec ause people are afraid to help him -- looking for advice as to what direction to go in at the moment for some professional hlep.  
Good luck paddycakes. I have been suffering for 2 years and these "experts" I have paid money to, can not find a way to figure out my problem or help me. I hope you find someone who spends some time and is honest with you.
I cannot believe how many people have teeth pain with no answers from their dentists.  I am the same way. I have worn a night splint for 14 years, but 8 years ago I have a crown and r/c done on tooth # 16 (right upper, second last tooth).
It took along time to settle down, but I tried not to irritate it, so I would chew mostly on the other side.  2 years ago, same tooth on the other side needed crown, and then r/c on this one.
About 1 month after, the tooth on the right side that was crowned and r/c started to bother me.  It would ache, burn and occasionally jab.  Saw my regular doctor and when he tapped and blew air, all was fine.  He recommended I see the Endo who did the root canal.  Saw him, and he took ex-rays and tapped on the tooth but it didn't hurt and the ex-ray was fine.  Continued to go back to my regular dentist, and he thought maybe it could be a nerve problem.  I went to see a TMJ dentist who have me wear a day splint and a night splint.  He said have TMJ and my bite is off.  Did this treatment for 1 year but it didn't help the achy, burning tooth, which was now aching in the teeth all the way to the right front tooth, but not crossing over to the left front tooth.  I now have seen yet another dentist who recommended taking the anti-depressant Elavil.  I haven't tried it yet, I'm alittle scared of the side effects.  But don't know what else to do.  This whole thing has given me so much anxiety, and just wondered if anyone has tried Elavil and it has helped, and how were the side effects.
Snowgal, I hear you! I have not eaten on the right side of my mouth in years. I do not even know if the pain is in more than one tooth. I believe more than one thing may be going on. Maybe I need a root canal in the original annoying tooth but I'll be damned if I put myself through that and get no relief. This has cause me immense, and I really mean that, stress. You would think the dentist or the endo would at least try to find another dentist endo to look at you and help you set up appts. etc to get to the bottom of this. This problem is causing me a great deal of stress every day and I am  worried and it shows physically and mentally. Please feel free to post to me any other info or gripes you may have. It is good not to feel so alone but on the other hand I feel your pain. Literally. Please let me know if you get any answers or any kind of relief. This sucks beyond words. May I ask your age? Thanks and good luck finding answers.
umm hi  if this works i just had a tooth done meaning a rootcannel done when he was doing the tooth i had some crazy pain anyway after its about 1 month i am having pain this tooth is a bottom right molor about 1 month after it was done i am having pain
at what seems like the "root" part of the tooth so the bottom of my jaw
kinda like a throbbing feeling could this be a crack ??? i have seen my dentits since
and he said there was no crack but now it has acted up again  and he is on holidays summer for 2 to 3 weeks he will be back on august 26 it is august 11th now
its monday and it started acting up again on saterday could this be a muciel that i could have pulled? under the jaw i'm hoping that's all it could be please any help would be helpful also i have a medical condition i kinda have very bad angsiaty and panic problems sorry im a bad speller please any help would be great also is there anything anyone can tell me to take for the pain ?? cause i don't do pain well at all
advil the caplets  don't really work i use the extra strength ones 400mgs  also on another note i had a tooth that had a root canel done a while ago and it had to come out i went through pain for over 5 months and was told no there's nothing wrong with the tooth i went to a dental specailest and they did x rays too and could not find anything wrong anyway long story short the tooth did come out and it was cracked it had a hairline crack in it at the root i was so scared before it came out to the point where i was freaking out  this was a dentist i no longer have as my dentist i have a new dentist now anyway that's it for now
my tooth had a root canal and crown and after 6 years it still hurts sometimes. i have a root fracture (it doesnt show up on xrays but there is no other diagnosis) with no infection. my dentist keeps his eye on it so if it gets infected i can pull it before bone loss occurs. sometimes its sensitive to hot/cold sometimes pressure. another poster mentioned pain after flossing, sometimes i get that too.  most of the time its a barely there ache and other times everything causes a lot of pain. i will keep it as long as the pain isnt constant and its not causing damage. those are for the most part he only options for a root fracture..... live with it or pull it.
thnks lynn  and hey my mom has your name cool i have a dentits apointment today to have him take a look at it i hope its not a fracture that will suck :( but thnk you for responding to my post i will let u know what he says cross your fingers
good luck!
well back now the dentist i saw took an xray  and he could not see any cracks? but saw what could be an infection he told me to see my regular dentist on the 26th he gave me some antibiotics for 10 days 4 a day also got a call from my dentist office today and i was talking to the lady there and she made an apointment for the 26th at 9:30 am im wondering if may be i pulled a mucile under my jaw there cause the pain is kinda like a throbbing but if i put my finger under my jaw where the pain is it goes away ??? i got a new xray today and the dentist gave me a copy of the x ray to give my regular dentist
cracks dont show up on xrays very often. i am doubtful that a pulled muscle is your problem. it is very difficult to pull a jaw muscle. it sounds like the infection is causing your symptoms. wait and the antibiotics should make it feel better soon. remember to take all the medication even if it starts to feel okay.
I fianlly got dental insurace and went to dentist back in feb.  took xrays and said i need a root canal in one of my molars.  i never had any pain or sensitivity and asked why i couldnt get it filled.  they said if they were to fill it then it would put pressure on my nerve and hurt.  stupid me i went through with it.  worst experience of my life.  i have problems and infections, swelling in cheek and gum right near tooth.  at first i thought the pain was b/c i just had my tooth worked on.  just touching with my tongue hurt like hell.  i did not eat on that side.  i went back and they gave me some presrips for infection and inflammation.  then i got ear infection- now i think it is due to tooth.  then i got bronchitis- who knows maybe infection moved to lungs- so i was on antibiotics for a while and not much pain.  then a few months pass and my tooth, gum gets inflammed and painful- i go back to dentist and they adjust my bite and give me more meds.  Now I noticed that my tooth rises when it is swollen and painfull.  last month the pain came back so bad- like someone punched me in my jaw and i wanted to pull my crown off -it hurt so bad.  of course the dentist was on vacation for 2 weeks at this time and their emergency doc didnt call me back for 2 days and left message saying that she cant do anything but write  scripts.  just so happens i got bit by nasty bug and went on antibiotocs for that and i guess it helped my tooth as well.  so now it happened again.  cheek is swollen, gumline swollen and pain.  i go unnannounced and they take xray and say-well its probably a root fracture. i ask if caused by root canal procedure and they say no way.  i dont believe them- i had no pain whatsoever before my root canal and immediately after procedure it hurts and keeps reoccuring.  i just want to know if anyone has similar situation and what they did and what they suggest i do. oh, the dentsit referred me to oral surgeon for tooth extraction that i should be responsible for (now no insurance) and then get a dental implant from them- ha.  
please any suggestion i appreciate
It is well worth it to get an Endodontist to do a root canal.  Doing so may save pain, money, and maybe the tooth in the long run...see my post below:
This is about a top rear molar (second from the rear of the mouth) perforated root...  
The Dentist who performed the initial root canal told me the cause of my post procedural headaches and pain was my grinding my teeth when I slept.  After more than three years, I went to an Endodontist.  He x-rayed the tooth.  He didn't say anything about a little glob of filling material protruding from the tip of one of the roots, but he did recommend doing another root canal. He put me on Amoxicillin 500 mg three times a day for 7 days prior to the second operation and then added another seven days of the same dosage of Amoxicillin after.  After the second procedure, he did another x-ray, and I noticed that there was a larger glob of filling material protruding from the tip of the root. The Endodontist didn't make any comment about it.  He said the Dentist had missed a hairline root during the first procedure, and if the infection didn't clear up, dental surgery would be necessary. I am 62 years old and can handle the complete truth. I was so trusting, I didn't even question either one about the excess filling material at the tip of the root.  A friend who had been a dental assistant ,when hearing my story of pain after both procedures, made the comment that it sounded like the first Dentist had perforated the root tip.  It was then, that I remembered the globs of filling material in both the before and after x-rays.
Doctors and Dentists may want to be aware that full disclosure  should be considered, especially now that patients can do a Google search.  
As stated elsewhere: It would be a good idea for a patient to question everything and do his or her own research.
well I wrote a reply but it disappeared. I am still having tooth problems almost 4  years later. I had the molar pulled after a crown and a root canal and thousands of lost dollars. Now I feel like **** because I have one less tooth already. Well, the tooth next to it is now sensitive to very cold and biting and my dentist want me to try a night guard since I do not have typical root canal symptoms. Which, btw, I did not have the first time either. I am so tired of this and am shocked it is so hard to figure out what is wrong with me.... Also, anyone wear a night guard? I am afraid I am going to choke on it ! N
I had almost resigned myself to getting the problem tooth extracted until I read your last post.  I really do understand your frustration, and right now I definitely know the pain...I just researched Dental Malpractice Attornies practicing in my local area on Google...I have been very cordial with my dentist and my endo both..and they are both thousands of dollars richer because of my pain and suffering..so if I'm not getting results the "nice way", I'll try the aggressive way...and I can't believe more of us in this forum haven't done the same....This **** has got to stop...
Hi 50cal, I don't know your situation ( if you could give me a little info. I'd appreciate it, I'd like to hear your story)  but mine , like others I presume, is like this: Nothing shows on xrays. We are told by every dental professional that dentistry is like this, it is at times, hard to figure out what is wrong. I  don't even blame every doctor. Yes, I am upset with the oral surgeon and the endo. I don't believe the oral surgeon took the time to really help me, not even an xray. It seemed liked he made a guess and to be done with it (me) just pulled my tooth. I am a person that now has to live with this, not just an invisible patient. When you do not live in or near a big city, the chances of you getting an answer to your problem and having it fixed are slim to none in my experience and I very very much count General practioners, eye doctors etc in this. Please let us know what your outcome is.N
HI, 50cal, sorry just read your post about your tooth, don't know how I missed it! N
4 weeks after 2nd root canal. Pain slowly waning, but I'm not chewing on the problem side of my mouth...The consensus seems to be that pulling the tooth is the only other option if pain persists...I read your post and understand your pain and frustration.  So many others seem to be getting the same lack of concern from their dentists.  The money they charge should give them plenty incentive to treat everyone with compassion and do everything to find solutions to any discomfort the patient feels after an $1100 procedure that takes less than an hour.
hi, started getting a root canal on right back molar 1 year ago and still in the middle of redressing due to the dentist making sure that the infection is gone as i was always complaining of pain after the procedures.  Just had last dressing 4 weeks ago and there was pressure pain straight after it for two days until i thought of chewing sugar free gum on it for a day. The pain of doing that was bearable and almost soothing until the pain totally went away.  three weeks later I have pain when biting down and the gum doesn't work any more.  Thinking about pulling the thing out becuase I am so sick of this ****.  Any way my dentist says if i do this i will have no choice but to have a SINUS LIFT. So scared of this, has any one else had this procedure.
For all of you experiencing pain take organic olive oil and hold it on the tooth. Keep it there for as long as you can, and you'll be amazed when the pain will subside. Don't spit the oil out ingest it because it has amazing therapeutic effects. It will work wonders for everything, not only pain in your teeth.

OK I landed here because obviously I have the same problem as all of you.
I tooth with two root canals done it and still in pain.

After the first root canal, I would only experience pain on really hot foods. I was fine for two years because the pain wasn't intense. A month ago I went to put a crown on it and when the doctor opened it up I experienced pain. He did a second root canal and the tooth ached for a few days and then pain subsided. On the second root canal the doctor found a parallel canal that the previous doctor missed. He cleaned that too and he explained what happened and son on.

Last week I had something really hot and the pain came back. Same as all of you, X-rays look fine. I took another x-ray today, and I saw something on the tooth like a faint black line which looks like the a root. Treated root canals are very obvious to x-rays. But this one looks like it is not treated. The doctor looked at it and he did not tell me anything about what I noticed. The medical assistant saw the same thing. He said I might have a fracture he could not see, and recommended that I should byte the bullet and get a crown, which will help hold the tooth in place.

The last x-ray revealed healing on the tip of the roots that the second doctor discovered. However I am still concerned with this faint black line that just looks like an extra root. I mean  if get a crown and the ache is still there then the last thing is extraction. I would really suck if they take the tooth out and then they find out that in fact there was an extra root, or an additional root canal that was missed.

So that is my concern. I the mean time the olive oil worked marvels and I can barely  feel the tooth when I clench my teeth. Before I started reading this forum, I could barely chew on a freaking banana, Now I'm going to get dinner. The only part that is permanent and messed up is the uncertainty of the diagnosis. I just wish that life should have its do overs and undo's, at least three for each person. one at the age of 10, 20 and 40, or maybe one every 10 years. that would bee ******* awesome!!!! I hate this permanence!!!

After further research into the matter I found this comprehensive answer.

This is perhaps the most plausible answer ever. In addition this answer is talking about 4 roots so mine on the x-ray had only 3 visible and treated. I am going for a third opinion to a another doctor.

Q: I recently had to have a root canal done on a tooth that the dentist had just done a crown on. This was not my first root canal, but it was extremely painful and had an infection in it. It took a while before I was pain free. Now, three months later, I am having pain in the tooth again. What could cause this?
— Jane, Rhode Island
A:
The current pain you are experiencing in the tooth that previously had root canal therapy may be caused by the following:

1. The tooth has an extra canal that was not cleaned out and filled. This means there is an extra physical root.

2. The tooth has an accessory canal, which is a tiny piece of nerve that is rarely cleaned out and filled. These accessory canals are hard to see on X-rays but are small branches of the nerve trunk.

3. The tooth may be fractured, since root canal teeth do get dried out internally.

4. The root canal has become reinfected.

The process of performing root canal therapy is typically quite successful. Over time, however, problems can occur because the tooth no longer has internal fluids or blood supply. During root canal therapy, the tooth is cleaned out, and a rubbery material is often packed inside the canal. At any time prior to the root canal, the tooth may become fractured and go unnoticed by the dentist. A fracture or crack in a tooth may create the need for root canal therapy and the pain leading up to treatment. Once the tooth has had its root canal therapy, things may be fine for a while, but then this crack starts to trap bacteria and cause pain.

An accessory canal is a canal that is impossible to see on an X-ray, but it can leave a tiny amount of nerve tissue after a root canal is performed. These branches of the main nerve are almost impossible to fill. Oftentimes, the nerve will die, and there is no problem since it is such a small area.

There are situations in which a tooth has more roots than it is supposed to. Single-rooted teeth can have a second root, double-rooted teeth can have a third root, and multirooted teeth can have an extra root canal. Sometimes they are visible on X-rays, and sometimes they are not. A qualified root canal specialist will usually pick up this extra canal and may even find an extra third or fourth canal. There are times when even a specialist can miss these extra canals, and a few months later you feel pain from the untreated canal. I would go back to your root canal professional and see if this is the case. Sometimes the pain is just clenching and grinding on a tooth that had a root canal and no further treatment is needed except a bite adjustment. There are also other situations where the root canal can get reinfected, but these are rare.

Learn more in the Everyday Health Dental Health Center.