Dental Health Community
Pain after temp crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain after temp crown

I had a temporary crown put on exactly one week ago. I was fine until about 3 days later when it started to ache (I equate it to the slight discomfort after having braces tightened.) Since then it has been intermittent. One 200 mg advil takes care of it, however if I do not take one right before bed it wears off and wakes me up in the middle of the night. I think I grind my teeth at night, which could explain the pain at night.  I called my dentist this morning after waking up last night and having to put ice on it to ease the pain. They said it is completely normal to have this kind of sensitivety until I get my permanent crown. I am still not convinced. Anybody have similar situation? Please help ease my mind.
Does it feel like you are hitting heavy on that tooth?  Like it's the only one or first one touching when you bite down?  If so, the bite will make it sensitive.  It also could be sensitive just from the procedure, and the fact that temporary crowns aren't completely sealed up.
It does feel like the bite is off. I am going back to my dentist today to get it checked out.  Thanks for responding. I am terrified of the dentist and was worried that it might be something that would require a root canal or something.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! HAD A TEMPORARY CROWN ON, WHICH NEVER FELT RIGHT. I HAD SOME DISCOMFORT. THEN WHEN HE PUT THE PERMANENT ONE ON, IT FELT EVEN WORSE, NOW I HAVE TO GO FOR A ROOT CANAL AND THEY HAVE TO CUT A PEICE IN THE PERMANENT CROWN HE PUT ON!! THE PAIN GOT TO THE POINT WHERE ITS UNBAREABLE SHOOTING TO LEFT EYE AND EAR... BEFORE HE PUTS THE PERMANENT ONE ON I WOULD TELL YOUR DENTIST ANY ISSUES YOUR HAVING.. CAUSE ONCE ITS THERE ITS THERE. NOW IM LOOKIN AT GOING TO AN ENDODONTIST. YES.. MINE FELT LIKE THE BIT WAS OFF AT FIRST TOO AND WAS SENSITIVE. THEN HE ADJUSTED IT TWICE... NO LUCK. THEN THE  PAIN. STRANGELY ICE OR HEAT DOESNT NOT DO A THING. ITS A STEADY PAIN. HE GAVE ME TYLENOL WITH CODEINE WHICH KILLS IS SOMEWHAT. NOT MUCH.   HE TOLD ME TO USE SENSITIVE TOOTHPAST AND RUB IT AROUND THE CROWN ....NO HELP THERE. ..I HOPE YOUR OUTCOME IS BETTER THAN MINE.. ITS ALSO HURTS ME TO SMILE.