Dental Health Community
Pain and Swelling after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain and Swelling after root canal

Went to the dentist on the 20th for fillings- two days later excruciating pain- left side of neck and face swollen- went back to dentist on the 26th had emergency root canal on tooth # 18. by endodontist  I have a temp filling until I can get into reg dentist for crown. Pain and swelling still present- got Penicillin and vicodin on Thursday- I still have the swelling and pain- How long should it take for the Penicillin to start working? Should I still have pain in or around the tooth they did the treatment on or is it the infection that is making everything hurt?
I assume you've gotten this taken care of by now, but for others, In my experience antibiotics take around 2-3 days to begin to lessen pain and swelling in the jaw caused by tooth infections.  If you continue to have recurring problems with a canaled tooth (which is what I'm currently going through) then you should either have the tooth recanaled to rectify a failed canal, or extracted and then look at replacement options.
What if you dont have insurance but you are in need of a root canal, actually its too late, my nerves are completely dead and i know this because at first, when food used to just slightly make contact, it would hurt soo bad, now, it doesnt hurt much unless blunt pressure lik a direct bite of food n that location, plus i taste blood daily, and have gotten lockjaw multiple times? what do i do??? no insurance and only 19
When I got my triple root canal (probably the most expensive procedure) I paid around $700 Canadian.  This was at a public clinic in a University town, where they have a history of charging non-insurance patients less, simply because they make their money off the students, who all have university provided dental.

If you can't afford this kind of ballpark, I'd suggest trying to find a local dental college.  They often do work at lower rates if you agree to your procedure being used for teaching purposes.  

Do you have a Visa or, preferably, a line of credit through your bank?  This would be the perfect time to get one.  Put the procedure on that, and pay it off (STRICTLY) in monthly payments.  Heck, many dental places offer monthly financing directly through them.  

The only other option is extraction.  Quick, Cheap, Effective, though you lose the tooth.  

Get something done, otherwise you'll end up with worse problems in the end.