Dental Health Community
Pain and absess(abscess) after Crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain and absess(abscess) after Crown

I had a cleaning in late March and was told I had no cavities. However, the dentist told me that he wanted to put a crown over two of my teeth. About a month ago, I had temporary crown put in. Not long after, my teeth began to bother me. Two weeks ago, I went back to the dentist to put in the permanent crown. I told him of my discomfort and he seemed to think it was due to a loose temp. I told him that air was hurting me. Again, he said it would be fine when the crown was put in. When he put the crown in, I hit the ceiling! I have never felt such pain. It was unbearable. He was confused by my pain and administered some novacaine to relieve my pain. He told me that if it still hurt the next day, he would have to do a root canal. I had already assumed the tooth had a root canal. Anyway, I went home and suffered in pain the whole night. No pain meds would dull the pain. The following day, I went back to the dentist. He injected novacaine into my gums, but it had no affect on the pain. He then sent me to an endodontist. The specialist tested the tooth, and told me I may have hyperalgesia or neurolgia. He then said I had three options. One was that he would start the root canal right away, but I would be in agony throughout the procedure. Two was that I could go home and load up on 2400 mgs of advil and return the next day. Three was that I could go to a surgeon and be put to sleep for the first part of the procedure. I opted for the second. I went home and started loading up on advil. However, my face really started swelling and by the next day, I looked disfigured. The pain was in my mouth, my cheekbone, my jaw, my temple and my eye. It was intolerable. The endodontist arranged for me to go to the oral surgeon, but I had to wait another day. On the day of the surgery, my face was huge. He put me under anesthesia and started the procedure by removing some pulp and draining an absess (abscess). He left the tooth open for the absess (abscess) to drain and prescribed amoxicillan. One week later, I went to the endodontist for the root canal. I told him that my cheek bone, eye bone, jaw and temple hurt. He couldn't understand why. He performed the root canal but was unable to reach the end of one of the roots because it turned in another direction. He told me I may need an apico. He filled the tooth in and sent me home with augmentin. It has been four days and my mouth is still swollen. The pain is still present. My cheek bone hurts to the jaw. There is a noticable swelling over three teeth (11, 12, 13). I called the endodontist and he told me to come in tomorrow so that he could try the root canal again. If it doesn't work, he'll need to do an apico or send me to the surgeon to go under again. I am frightened that something is being missed. The infection has obviously spread. What kind of damage could be done? Am I in danger of something more serious?
I am so sorry to hear about all the pain you are having. Maybe the trigeminal nerve was aggravated. Ask them about that. I understand the pain with that nerve can be very painful. Hope all goes well for you. Teeth/gum problems can be so uncomforatble, its hard to eat and talk. I just recently unerwent dental bone grafting and aome other stuff...of course complications happended. I go to the dentist tomorrow for a comprehensive exam to discuss how quickly I can go into major debt, I mean to discuss crowns and other work.
I hope all goes well for you. Let me know how you are doing.