Dental Health Community
Pain and swelling in jaw after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I am a 62 year old woman. I had a crown replaced a year ago. It continued to be sensitive and seemed to cause a bad taste in my mouth.  After new e-ray my dentist did not think it was anything to worry about.  One weekend in April 2009 my tooth started to throb and my jaw as swollen under the tooth (next to last on bottom) .  My dentist called in a perscription  for antibotic (antibiotic) on Monday.  I was hurting so bad that I went to a new denist and he said I had a massive, cronic (chronic) abcess (abscess). He did a root canal & removed the crown. Three days after that I was in so much pain in the bones in my jaw joint and so swollen the whole side of my head was affected but not the orginal area under the problem tooth.  I could not sleep or eat.  After waiting all weekend I was taken back to the dentist. He told me he had done something to my jaw and to go to the ER.  I did and my blood pressure was 220 over 115.  I was sent home but was in so much pain I could not even walk.  I went to my family doctor and she sent me back to the EM where I was admitted and given a spinal tap.  My head was hurting so badly that they thought I was having a stroke. They them sent me to a different hospital by ambulance where I underwent an MRI and ultra sound. Not finding a cause for my extremely high blood pressure the put me in intensive care for 5 days.  There that ran more test including a angioplasty (SP?) through my groan to my brain.  They found nothing wrong with my brain  but never thought it could be connected  to my dental work. After all that I am terrified to go back to the dentist or have more novacane in my jaw area.  Please tell me what caused the strange chain of events.
Most dental infections may give rise to regional lymphadonpathy, acute orofacial swelling, or fever. I don't have a logical explanation for your presentation, either.However, seeing an endodontist is advised.