Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain and swelling in roof of mouth and gums

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

For about two months now I have had considerable pain in the very back of the roof of my mouth along with little red dots that kind of look like spiders with streaks coming off of them. Initially, i ran a fever of 103-101 for about a week. I was prescribed Zithromax and then 875mg amox-clav.
The pain comes and goes. I had two fillings done this past week and had my dentist take a look and he recommended I see an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist for what he suspects is a problem with my salivary gland. I did have part of a salivary gland removed and biopsies in my neck when I was 19 (now 30) for chronic inflammation.
Now, the gums on the bottom behind my very back teeth on both sides are swollen and extremely sore.
I'm now on antibiotics and the soonest I can get in with the ENT is April 5th. The roof of my mouth hurts when I talk, swallow, or yawn and the gums are extremely sore no matter what. Please help!!!!
Has your dentist prescribed any pain medication to go along with the antibiotics?  

You may want to ask for some.  Also, try eating some extremely crushed ice prior to eating anything so that it can soothe and numb the area prior to swallowing, etc.  Obviously you can't do it all day but prior to eating, it may help some.