Dental Health Community
Pain at Base of Tooth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain at Base of Tooth

Thanks for looking.  

Over the past week or so, I've had this dull pain at the base of one of my teeth (lower jaw, right side, three teeth from the back).  I took a look, and there's a "cut" right where the gum meets the tooth, and a minor cut at the same spot on the next tooth (towards the back).  I thought the gums just needed more stimulation, so I've been brushing ~4 times a day with a firm brush and concentrating on that area.  

The "cuts" seem to have gotten a little worse, and the pain has increased.  I'm going to use a soft brush now and see if it heals, but does this seem like it fits into a Gum Disease issue?  I've never had a cavity or any dental issue; I've brushed 2 times+ daily my whole life.  Thank you for any information =).
Hi, first of all you never want to use a firm brush, too hard on the enamel and your gums.  If the gum is actually cut, then I would suspect you ate something that cut into your gums, this can happen with things like chips.  Any irritation in the mouth takes time to heal, and I would suggest when you brush that you avoid the cuts gums totally, this is preventing them from healing, and may be irritating them even more.  I would also avoid eating on that side. If you use mouthwash make sure it is alcohol free.
If it were me, I'd rinse the area with Hydrogen peroxide 2 -3 times a day. Hope this helps.
Awesome - that's reassuring.  Thanks for the good info =).