Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain/discomfort 20 days after Dental Implant

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a dental implant on a pre molar on the left bottom last Dec. 14. The first week after the surgery went well. However, I started having pain, soreness, sensitiveness on all teeth (both top and bottom) on the implant side about a week after the surgery. Follow-ups with my oral surgeon discover the wound heals well and fluid diet is suggested (which I didn't strictly follow because of the holidays). During the past two weeks, my situation sometimes is better, sometimes I feel much pain and discomfort. I took antibiotics and pain medications. Last night my left cheek is swollen again and I could not sleep because of the pain. I feel like knocking out all the teeth on the implant side.
I didn't have much luck with this tooth (root canalled it when I was 14, re-root canalled it in May 2005 because of abyss--found in routine annual check but I didn't feel pain, and I cracked it in Nov.2005).
I guess I was a little bit overjoyed during the first week after the surgery, and may have pushed things faster than I should regarding eating and physical activities.
What possibility went wrong? Am I ever going to get better and recovered? Has the implant failed?
Thanks,
Troubled Tooth#20
This is not the normal post op symptoms of having a implant placed. Is it possible that another tooth on that side is the culprit? I would return to the oral surgeon and get a definitive diagnosis. There should not be swelling during the integration of the implant.
films may need to be taken to evaluate the boe around the fixture, and the bite needs to be checked to make sure it is even with the other teeth. if your oral surgeon, or the dentist who restored the implant, finds nothing wrong than I would seek another opinion through another dentist and/or oral surgeon with implant experience.
I actually had a cleaning/routine checkup last week, my regular dentist said my other teeth on the implant side are fine. He suspects a bundle of minor nervous damage and recovery. I went into see my oral surgeon again this afternoon, he gave me a different type of antibiotics, and told me not to panic at this moment. I am going to take them and follow fluid diet strictly and give it a couple of more days. Will seek for a second opinion if I am not feeling any better.
Thanks for your comments.
A related discussion, implant was started.