Dental Health Community
Pain in Teeth, Face 9 months after extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had three wisdom teeth extracted on January 13th, 2010 - all except the lower left tooth, which had been taken out two years earlier.  They also removed a cyst from my right sinus cavity, which turned out to be nothing harmless; to do so, they cut through the gum to get at the cyst.  For a few weeks afterwards, maybe a month and a half, my upper right gum was numb because the surgeons cut through a lot of nerves, but otherwise nothing felt wrong with me.  

Recently, however - the past 2 months, so starting about 7 months after the operation - I've been getting sudden stabbing pains in the right side of my face, feeling like it's just behind the cheekbone; I've also been getting lancing pain radiating quickly and briefly, but intensely, up the right side of my head, just above where the jaw connects to the skull, as well as on the right side of my head, in a small spot just around the corner from my right eye.  Finally, I've been having tooth pain in the rearmost two molars in the upper right, as well.  You can probably imagine the general area I'm talking about.  I've had headaches before, and these most certainly do not feel like headaches.  The pain is never anywhere other than that area - no pain in the front, top or back of the head, just that small, palm-sized region around the cheekbone-jaw-temple.

I'm comvinced that this has something to do with the cyst removal, or possible the wisdom tooth extraction, but I can't imagine how that could happen 7 or 8 months after the operation with nothing going funny in between.  Might the cyst be growing back, or is this just somehow normal?  I have been having a lot more mucus at the back of my throat recently, since the operation in general but especially in the past 4 months or so.  Might that have something to do with this all?  What's going on?  Any advice you could give a poor hypochondriac like me is welcome! :)
Going back to your ENT surgeon to have a post -op exam is advised. If no result, you may need to see an orofacial pain specialist or neurologist.