Dental Health Community
Pain in jaw / ear after implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain in jaw / ear after implant

Hello.  I had an implant a little over a week ago on tooth #3 (upper right molar).  The tooth was extracted 6 months ago because of severe infection - nothing we did could get rid of it.  Everything calmed down after the extraction, but I never felt like the infection completely cleared out - teeth and gums around it were still sensitive.

During the implant process (with a bone graft), the periodontist could never get the tooth numb all the way, so the process itself was quite painful.  Settled down afterward and was not that bad (took care of it with Aleve), but I couldn't stomach the antibiotics prescribed.  By end of second day tooth started hurting and throbbing in earnest, all thorugh jaw area and ear and spreading into lower jaw, and by the next morning I was taking vicadin like it was candy to try and get it to stop hurting.  Doc prescribed different antibiotics so started taking them, and by the end of the next day (day 4 after surgery) the pain finally stopped - I was so happy.  However, then my stomach started having issues with next round of antibiotics, so I stopped taking them (again) - pain started returning within 24 hours.  Primary care physician sent me to hospital to get IV antibiotics since it was mainly my stomach causing the problems, and I have been MOSTLY pain-free since getting full rounds of them.

However, although the throbbing / aching pain is gone, I still feel a lot of pressure at implant site.  It just feels like there is something stuck in there that doesn't belong there, and it needs to come out.  Occasionally I still get ear and jaw pain.  Is this normal for only a week after the implant?  Should I still have concern about it?  I just felt like it didn't go well at all - the doctor just took normal x-rays (no head scan thing available).  Or should I just keep waiting; will the pressurized feeling and pain eventually go away now that the apparent infection is (hopefully) gone?  

Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.
Going back to your dentist to have a post -op exam is advised.