Dental Health Community
Pain in mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain in mouth

I have had a nagging pain in the back of my mouth for almost 3 months now. The pain is located in the hard palate area above my molars on the right side. Dental X-rays have revealed that nothing is wrong. My wisdom teeth are still intact, but 3 dentists and 2 oral surgeons have assured me that they do not need to come out and would not be causing the pain. The pain is like a sharp pressure in that area of my mouth. Almost feels like a sinus infection in that palate/gum region. When I press on my second molar, it tends to alleviate the pain momentarily, but it comes back. At times the pain is throbbing, other times it is almost non-existent. Sinus x-rays have ruled out sinusitis. The last oral surgeon I visited suggested that it could be TMJ. He thinks I could be experiencing muscle spasms in my jaw region, causing the pain to manifest in that area of my mouth. My jaw doesn't click, nor does it hurt when I chew, tho I am not able to open my jaw that wide. Ibuprofen usually alleviates the pain temporarily and I've been prescribed flexoril (haven't taken it yet). It's been 3 months and the pain hasn't subsided. Does this really sound like TMJ? I should note that I'm usually OK in the morning and as the day progresses, the pain gets worse. I find myself getting tired very easily these days and I'm worried that this condition is not getting better. Any thoughts?
Pain that gets worse during the day sounds more like a TMJ than a tooth problem.  I would find a TMJ specialist.  Limited opening is only caused by a few things, mostly infection or TMD.
Intermittent throbbing pain  is not a common presentation of tmd. Throbbing pain suggests inflammatory , vascular, or neurovascular origin. Seeing an orofacial pain specialist and ENT  is advised.