Dental Health Community
Pain in old root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain in old root canal

I have been having a pain in an old root canal, mostly caused by heat.  I had this root canal done initally two years ago, crowned, then retreated due to pain eight months ago.  After the retreat, the tooth hurt horribly.  The pain subsided after about two weeks.  I have had no problems since then.  The molar behind this tooth also had to have a root canal and was eventually pulled eight months ago due to a cracked root.  

I am not sure what to do about this tooth pain.  Does it mean that this tooth may also have a cracked root?  Are there any treatment options other than getting it pulled?  Why would it start hurting all of a sudden after eight months of no pain?
Seeing an endodontist is advised.
What happened with your root canal pain problem?
I agree, have an endodontist look at the tooth again.  Unfortunately, there are some times when a root canal does not work.  If you have an infection in a tooth and they do the root canal right away without doing a course of antibiotics first, it very often can cause further problems.  Our endodontists tend to wait until the infection is gone before doing the root canal.  It keeps you from having pain and makes the whole process easier.

Either way, good luck!
i had a 5 yr old root canal just get infected outta the clear blue.I have never felt that much pain in my life(i'm not a mom)! Come to find out that I did the right thing at the time of getting the canal but found out from the dentist that looked at my tooth and face that looked like it came right outta the movie "Mask" w/ Cher well i looked like her son Rocky, that this can just happen after 4-8 yrs 10-30 yrs and it can go wrong.pain! ruined my whole week couch bound!
What was the treatment and outcome of your situation? I am a mom and this pain is on the same level as childbirth! Can't get into the dentist until tomorrow. Hope I can handle the pain until then. Almost considering going to the ER but not sure if they can help!