Dental Health Community
Pain in teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain in teeth

I have been to my dentist seven times for a presistant but mild pain in my teeth.  I know the area that is hurting, and the dentist has looked at the teeth each time.  I have had two root canals and those teeth prepped for crowns and three cavaties filled on my eye tooth that were previous fillings that were leaking.  The pain starts very dull, then it seems to  increase when I drink coffee, beer, or work out.  The dentist has done all the tests and x-rays to determine if the root canalled teeth had fractrures.  I can eat on the root canaled teeth with no pain.  I have had one of the temporaries on three months and the other less then a month.  My insurance is used up for the year, so we were waiting to make it to January.  Could my temporaries be leaking and causing pain in the gums and into the root canalled tooth?  I have put cold ice on the bottom and middle of both those crowned teeth and feel nothing.  There is very little heat sensitivity.  I sometimes feel the pain very deep.  My dentist also sent me to an endonotics specialist and all he didn't find anything wrong with the first root canalled tooth and this pain has been since after that.  Please help, I don't know what else to do but dentures...
Welcome to the world of sensitive teeth.  You have my sympathy.  I'm not sure if my problem is like yours, but I have found that the only thing that works for me is toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  Nothing else has helped and my dentists all have nothing to offer.  

When the tooth dentin gets thinned, by brushing or gum recession, or perhaps periodontal disease, the nerve inside the tooth is exposed via tubules in the dentin.  The tooth paste for sensitive teeth starts to slowly (it does take about two weeks) plug the tubules up.  This blocks the sensation to the nerve.

Problem is you have to keep it up.  I have to brush at least twice a day with tooth paste for sensitive teeth or I know it!  The pain also starts to creep up and can get quite severe.  It makes my gums feel inflamed and ache, too with pain that shoots into my ear.  Xrays and repeated check ups would show nothing.

If you can isolate the pain to one tooth, you can also try this stuff from orajel that you paint on the tooth itself.  It lasts about a month.  They make a three month product also.

Do you grind or clench your teeth?  That can make your teeth ache ALOT.  Try to become aware if you do either.  Night time clenching and grinding is especially difficult to become aware of unless someone can tell you if you do it.

The last thing would be to get an appt with a neurologist and be tested for trigeminal neuralgia.

Hope this helps and that you are painfree soon.

Gellia