Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain in the gum....

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain in the gum....

Hi Guys, really need some advise about my case. Its quite complex but here is it..
Around 1 months plus ago i suddenly had the pain in my lower left gum...and had bad headaches at night...
went see a dentist and had x ray...he says the pain is most likely becos of the wisdom tooth...
the dentist is quite flesh i guess cos he don seems sure about things...
he says my wisdom tooth is too deep inside and it is lying on one of the nerve...quite risky to extract it...
he suggest if i extract the tooth beside the wisdom tooth (which is like only half expose from the gum), that might give the wisdom tooth space to grow, thus relieving the pain...so i did...

After a week or so, the wound is ok and the gum starts to grow back...
just when it seems like everything is going fine....i felt pain again...
the pain was not from the wound area..it seems to come from the 2-3 teeths beside the extracted tooth...
the pain was like inside the gum...
Its almost like there was a small sensitive bump in my lower gums. It happened to be right under the tooth that was hurting too... I dont wanna say its only gum pain though cause it hurts when i put pressure on the tooth.
The dentist says it might be cause be irritating during surgery and will recover soon...
but its been 2 weeks and the pain didnt go off...
is it gum disease or something? i am freaking out...please help!
So you extracted the tooth in front of the wisdom tooth?  

When was the last time you had a cleaning and check up?  Did they do any of that at your last visit to your dentist?  
My son is a year old and his gums in the front top are inflamed and his gums on his lower right has an ulcer. Took him to his pediatrician found out it was gingivostomatitus. Before knowing what he had we were drinking from each others cup and I have been giving him kisses. Now my gums are inflamed and swollen and sore. I cnt even eat. It started on my left back lower molar and worked its way to the top gums and its making its way to the front. May I have it too? And if so wat do I do?
Herpetic gingivostomatitus is a viral infection, same as herpes but its in the oral cavity.  What did your pediatrician recommend for your son?  I assume it's mostly palliative treatment to help with the discomfort.  For you, its unusual for a cold sore (which is what it is) to be so severe.  Have you had cold sores before?  You may want to go back to your own personal doctor and get a prescription for an anti-viral although it may be too late and you may have to just let the virus run its course just like a flu.  
A related discussion, herpes simplex one and gingivostomatitis was started.