Dental Health Community
Pain in tooth after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain in tooth after root canal

I had my bottom two left teeth, the ones in the very back prepped for crowns back on April 14, the following weekend I had severe pain in one of those two teeth. The next week on April 23, I had a root canal done on the very back tooth. The following weekend my temporary crown came loose (it covers both teeth). I got into my regular dentist on April 28th and had the temporary crown put back on, also complained about my teeth still being sensitive. They put me on some antibiotics and said to wait 2 to 3 weeks, because its like a bruise and it needs to heal. But, the thing is I can push on my tooth with my finger on the root canaled tooth and I will have pain. The only time I have pain is when I eat and some food slips over there and I chomp down on it. So now its been a week I have been on the antibiotics and still not any better. Do you think I should give it more time or go back to my dentist that did the root canal and disregard what my regular dentist said (give it 2 to 3 weeks)?  How long can pain last after a root canal?
I'm curious, are you hitting on the temporary first when you close down?
what do you mean? I have a temporary crown that covers both back teeth, its not a seperate temporary crown, its joined together
When you bite down, do your teeth hit your temporary first, or do all your teeth meet at pretty much at the same time?

If you are hitting on your temporary crown first before your other teeth, then that could cause your tooth to hurt and feel more bruised.  It does take a little while for your tooth to recover from a root canal---depending how bad the infection was, etc.

It may just take some time for all to heal.  
I didn't have a infection, as far as I know. I don't know if getting the teeth worked on one week and then having a root canal on one of those two teeth a week later had anything to do with. But whenever I accidently chew on that side, I know it. But I really don't know what to do, the root canal guy only said to do the very back one and to put the permanent ones on both teeth with temporary cement and see if the pain goes away, so who knows. Do you?
The same thing happened to me about 5 yrs ago.  had large cavity in my mid 10's dentist told me to come back for a crown, i didn't due to financial reasons.  fast forward 10 yrs and started having issues with tooth.  got a root canal and crown.  tooth continued to hurt intermittendtly when i'd bit down on it.  saw a specialist, said root canal and crown are good, but could have a hairline fracture that wouldn't show up on xrays yet.  continued to get sharp pain sometimes when i would bite in a specific spot but nothing excruciating.

fast forward 4 years and i get an absess (abscess) on that tooth and had to have it extracted, bone graft and implant.  luckily absess (abscess) did not really hurt because of dead nerves.  however, extraction was pretty bad.  could not get the tooth out and very painful even with lots of novacaine.  recovery was fine, but i have yet to go in for the implant part of the procedure.  i'm in the middle of getting crowns on upper teeth (another nightmare story) and implants are pretty expensive so it's on hold for a few months.

Good luck but make sure you watch the tooth.  if it's a fracture, it will get worse and best to take care of this sooner rather than later.  it still amazed me that fractures don't show up on xrays :(