Dental Health Community
Pain in tooth/jaw after replacement of ceramic crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had a crown installed 2 years ago on a lower molar on the right.  When I attended the periodontist she said she thought she could see decay in the tooth under the crown so the dentist came in for a look and they booked me for a replacement crown and removal of the decay.  When the crown was removed (I have most work done without local anaesthesia) the dentist commented that he did not see any decay but some discolouration from the bonding process of the previous crown.  The tooth was prepped and 2 days later I had a new ceramic crown installed and it has been painful ever since.  The pain wakes me at night and the bite is wrong so I phoned the dental surgery but had to wait a week for an appointment to adjust the bite.  For this crown replacement he charged my health fund but I was not requred to pay any surcharge.  I am wondering/hoping that I will not need a root canal because this whole procedure it seems was not necessary and I am going to have to argue that fact with the dentist.  It is interesting to read that others had similar problems and I am hoping against hope that this pain will subside when the bite is adjusted.  If I have to get a root canal done on this tooth do you think it should be done free of charge?  

This discussion is related to Jaw and ear pain after crown.