Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain under root canaled tooth crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain under root canaled tooth crown

In November I had a root canal on a lower left molar. In Dec. I had the permanent crown put on it. In January I feel discomfort on the crowned tooth. It aches after chewing. I went to the dentist. All the diagnostic tests were normal, xray, percussion, bite with carbon paper, air, gel to check if nerve pain. Negative for nerve pain although sometimes I feel a little ping or shock on the tooth when I try to chew on that side. Afterwards it'll feel like the tooth is burning or inflamed and it'll ache around the gumline. Sometimes it'll feel itchy. Other times it'll ache on the side of it. I don't know if it needs retreating or if the crown is ill-fitting. Help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is difficult to diagnosis without seeing it. Certainly you should not be having these symtoms (symptoms).If the rct was done by the same dentist that put on the crown I would illicit an opinion from an Endodontist to see if the rct is ok. Sometimes there is an accessory canal present that has not been found. As far as the fit of the crown i can not help you there without seeing it. If the gum bleeds then there is inflammation around the crown and that has to be corrected.
wasn't this issue addressed already?
Its the same issue... My dentist wanted to wait a few weeks to see if it felt any better...I see my dentist on Friday... I'm not sure if my dentist put a post in there or not, it feels like I'm being stabbed by a sharp vertical object and I feel the pressure on the tooth... My dentist did not perform the root canal... the endodontist did... The tooth feels very sore and itchy around the gumline...
I am having a similar issue. I had a root canal on a back lower molar about 1 year ago. The root canal was extremely painful because the Dentist could not get the tooth numb all the way. After going through that I would not expect to go through extreme pain again due to hot or cold drinks and food. I noticed that after about 2 months of having the RC and crown done, that my tooth was very sensitive to hot coffee or anything hot. The Dentist said to take Tylenol or something and use a tooth paste for sensitive teeth. I did that and the pain went away about 1.5 months later. I was told that the nerve had to finish dieing and it would take about that long. I was happy that the pain left and eating was no problem or at least for about 7 months. Needless to say the pain is back and back with a vengeance, it hurts bad!! Some days worse than others but hard to eat drink or chew gum even, and it seems its hot, cold sweet, spicy anything makes it hurt. I have resorted to brushing with Oragel with my tooth paste just to relieve pain after a cold glass of milk.

What can I do? The Dentist says nothing is wrong, but it sure as hell feels like something is wrong! I do remember that he took extra time removing the nerves and there were 4 canals so it took a long time. Will this ever go away?

A related discussion, root canal was started.