Dental Health Community
Pain when pressure applied to tooth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pain when pressure applied to tooth

A couple of weeks ago I began to notice that one of my molars was becoming very sensitive to cold and hot.  It also hurt if I sucked air in and was sensitive to pressure.  This tooth had a lot of silver filling in it.  I went to the dentist and he x-rayed it.  He said the root looked good.  He also pressed on the tooth and surrounding teeth and this didn't really hurt.  The dentist said he felt the tooth was cracked and he would put a temporary crown on it.  He did this about a week and a half ago.  As soon as the novicaine wore off, I noticed the tooth was no longer sensitive to hot or cold.  However, it continues to be sensitive to pressure.  If I press the tooth hard or chew on hard foods it hurts for a few seconds.  This crown does not feel high at all, if anything it feels low if there is such a thing.   also had braces a while back and have a clear retainer that covers my teeth which I wear a couple times a week.  When I put this in the tooth hurts so I can't leave it in.  I've had crowns in the past and don't remember this feeling, but it's possible I just forgot about it.  I go back to the dentist on Oct. 12 for him to re-evaluate and if all is OK to take the impressions for the final crown.  Do any of you know if it's normal for the tooth to be like this?  I'm hoping it's just going to take a while for it to "calm down".  If it doesn't would a root canal help or would the tooth have to be extracted?

Thanks!
root canal could help, that would take away you pain in that tooth. yes the temp crown can be "low" as you say , they usually dont want it to hit your other teeth cause it is a temporary and it is easier to break... tell your dentist that your still having pain and ask him your options....did he mention about taking the amalgom filling out ?
No, the dentist didn't mention taking the amalgom filling out.  Could this be causing the pain when i put pressure on the tooth?  I know he really drilled a lot and will ask him when I go back how much filling is left.  I was really hoping time would take this away since all sensitivity to hot and cold is now gone. Looks like a root canal may be my next step.  Thanks for your input.