Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain with temporary crown...

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain with temporary crown...

How long should I expect to have pain in my gums around a temproary crown?  I was told 3 days, it's been 4 now.  All the discomfort from the other work (2 onlays) is gone,but the area around my temp crown is still very sore.  I have never had any previous gum problems and no pain in my gums until this temp crown.  Could there be a problem with the it?
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is always the possibility that the temp is ill fitting and irritating the gum. Onlay temps are easier by the fact that they usually don't impinge on the gum. Rinse with warm salt water--as warm as you can--if the discomfort persists then call the dentist.
sounds like the temp is bulky and poorly adapted around the gum tissue-- or perhaps it extends too far under the gum tisse. gum tissue reacts to ll fitting, rough or bulky temporaries like it is a foreign substance, like a piece of food or a popcorn kernel that is stuck between teeth. eventually, an inflammatory reaction happens. My real  question is why has there been a temporary on the tooth for so long. Usually it only takes a week maybe two for the lab to make the permanent restoration.
you said its only been 4 days right? well the possibilities of it being ill fitting could be the problem. we dont know how extensive the work was. did the margin (area where the crown ends) extend below the gums? one thing to do is massage the tissues with your toothbrush. rinse with salt water. keep the area very clean and if by monday it doesnt feel better call your dentist. if the temporary cement extended outside the crown it could also be very irritating to the tissues.
sorry- thought it said 4 weeks, not days...... still, the reasons for gum irritation are the same, except that 4 days is not a long time-- the tissue just may be irritated fom the work that was done in the area. i'd wait and see how things go with the permanent restorations. if y0ou are not scheduled to have it put in in the next few days, why suffer:? call and ask for an appointment to have your temporary looked at.
Thanks for the info. I've never had anything like this done before and didn't expect discomfort for this many days.  I'll have my dentist take a look at the gums around the temp crown since I'll be returning to have a new temporary onlay put on as one fell out yesterday.

Thanks for this site:)