Dental Health Expert Forum
Painful Bridge

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Painful Bridge
I had a bridge done 5 days ago and I am having pain every once in a while. Pain is very very bad and I am taking Advil alot. I have talked to a few of my friends and they told me that they never had pain at any time after the bridge was done. I just have a temporary in now. My teeth never hurt befor I had this bridge done. The bridge is ancored on one tooth with a root canal on one side and the other tooth was a good pre molar. This is my first bridge why does it hurt so much and should I get the permanent one put on? I need help it hurts thanks.  
Let your dentist know and see if they can figure out whats going on.  Its possible that the bite is off or there may be an open margin on the crown resulting in food getting stuck and exposure of the root resulting in pain.  If they can't find a reason, the premolar may need a root canal also prior to placement of a bridge.
Thank you for your advise. I went back to the dentist and the bite was corrected. Not sure why he did not make sure it was ok befor I left his chair in the first place. The tooth from above put a hole in the temperary bridge leaving the tooth on the bottom exposed to food and cold. He told me that the temporary bridge was not as good a fit as the permenent one so it is exposing the tooth that he shaved down for the bridge. He put some sort of awful tasting stuff around the bottom of the exposed teeth. He said that would help untill we get the final bridge on. He wants to see if I am still in pain befor he puts the permenent bridge in place because he is not sure  if the tooth is dieing from the procedure. He said it still might need a root canal. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Sounds very reasonable and prudent to do.  Best of luck.  Hopefully that'll fix the problem.