Dental Health Community
Painful White Sores on Gums

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Painful White Sores on Gums

I scratched my gum right above one of my upper teeth a couple of weeks ago, the toothbrush was not soft enough and I tend to brush to rough, anyway, the cut hurt for several days and seemed to go away.  Then about a day later it started hurting again and I thought I had rescratched my gum. But after a week of the pain still being there I looked in my mouth and found two small white blister looking sores above where the orginal cut was. The cut seems to be gone, but the blisters hurt to the touch as well as when food or drink gets up there to them.  And I've been getting a slight headache the last few days as well, not sure if it's from the mouth pain or not.  I don't have dental insurance so wondering if I can get some advice before knowing if I need to go in or not.  Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are many possible causes of your condition. It could be canker sores, trauma after toothbrush, gingivitis or dental abscess. Strong toothbrush bristles can lead to canker sores. These canker sores usually heal within 8-10 days. You may try home remedies like application of salt and baking soda for at least 3-4 times a day. Avoid extremely hot or cold food and beverages .Mouth rinses will help reduce any swelling and pain in the gums. Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water .If the symptoms are severe seeing a dentist will be helpful. Do write to me again.
Best luck and take care!
Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer! Yes, I found out it was canker sores and have been using a hydrogen peroxide mouth wash and finally a few days ago they were completely cleared up.  Very painful things and have come to find out any trama to the mouth can cause them as well as certain foods, stress, and a few other things.  Thank you again for the info!