Dental Health Community
Paresthesia/Facial Numbness after Wisdom Teeth Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had my Wisdom Teeth taken out 2 weeks ago...ever since then my right lip and chin have been completely numb...I went back to the Oral Surgeon who wants to wait a month to see what happens, I have a follow up appointment in November right before Thanksgiving.  Is there anything I can do to help?  Based on common experience, how long does nerve damage "usually" take to heal?  I feel like I am in the dark...I cannot stand it...I am getting married next year and want to be able to kiss my husband!  Also, what is the % chance that is could be permanent?

Thank you in advance for all answers, I am so scared!
Seeing a neurologist is advised.
Hi ,, i had mine out 3 weeks ago tommorw and i am numb on my tongue only, it feels like it is massive and eating is a nightmare, i have had a constant tingle in my tongue since day one, i am also getting mariied next year and have the same fears, although it is mainly my tongue the underneath part of my jaw suffers from tingles and numbness, i too have spoke to my oral surgeon and have to wait till december 17th for follow up... from my reasearch and reading it appears that if you ahve tingles then this is a sign of recovery and that the nerve is working but can take 6months to a year to fully recover, !!
Hello billsfan6011,

As a dental student I would recommend the following:

However, please make sure and consult with your primary care physician
that You are not allergic to CORTICOIDS

Farmacological Treatment

Oral administration as a flash treatment for 3 to 4 days.

Rx:

Betametasone (corticoid)

Dosis:
6 mg daily

let me know how your situation turns out
My boyfriend is 21 and got his wisdom teeth removed today.  He is experiencing extreme numbness from the bottom right corner of his mouth , almost all the way to the left corner of his mouth.  His mother got her wisdom teeth removed about four years ago and the side of her mouth is still numb...after four years.  He is worried that his will be permanent and he is completely flustered.  He also had a root canal about a week or two ago and it was on the same side that is now numb.  Would the root canal add to the severity of the paresthesia? Is there any way to tell if this condition will be permanent, or is it basically just a waiting game?  I want to find out as much information about this as I can so I can give him hope. Does anybody know of any remedies that might speed or help the healing process, or any advice that I could give to my boyfriend to ease is stress and frustration?

Thank you so much!
I think you better notify your state dental board as soon as possible.

The root canal would probably have nothing to do with the paresthesia (numbness).  This is a rare but possible complication of removing lower molars close to the nerve.  In most cases, the nerve is just brused and will go back to normal in a matter of days or weeks.

He needs to go back to his oral surgeon.  The best way to handle this is to wait a couple of weeks to see if the paresthesia goes away on its own.  If this does not happen, there are methods to help the nerve regenerate, but they need to be done soon after its determined the nerve will not heal itself.  Ask your oral surgeon about everything and make sure he discusses all the possibilities.  
  He contacted his surgeon and he said that it might take 6 months for the numbness to subside. That doesn't sound right to me. How would he know so early on? I can't really say, though, I'm not a doctor. But I think everything is going to be alright, and I really appreciate your help.  When you said "If this does not happen, there are methods to help the nerve regenerate, but they need to be done soon after its determined the nerve will not heal itself," that really gave me hope because at least I know there is something we can do about it.  

Thank you again!
My daughter had a root canel 2 weeks ago and the left side of your jaw is still numb. She cannot eat on that side without biting herself.

What should she do?  Her perminant crown has not been installed yet. Should she see a nerve doctor before the perminant crown is installed?

Her docter indicated that she may have reveived too much novocan. Could this be the problem?  
Just to inform everyone... I had my wisdom teeth taken out in April of 2009.  I noticed something different after 3 days, when my tongue and gums were still numb..  Called the oral surgeon, was told that I had "signed the waiver" and the feeling should come back... well here I am, almost a year later, an MRI done, to find out that severe nerve damage was done when they took out my right wisdom tooth.  I was awake for the entire procedure, I know there were things that could have been done differently.  It is a very difficlut thing to deal with... they told me that if you do not have feeling back within 6 months the likelihood that you will ever get it back is pretty slim. Please contact me if you have any questions...  I am coping but I have very bad days, as I am sure all of you do... they have medication for the nerve spasms, if you have those.. but it helps very little...I think we should have a support group for us... it is a very difficult thing to adjust to..
Hey Sarah
I'm really sorry to hear about your nerve damage.   Try and stay positive as you could still recover - I read a post from someone on another forum recently that got feeling back after a couple of years. I had two lower wisdom teeth out mid February and was left with a numb toungue, jaw, lip and chin. I rang the hospital and they didn't want to know, but I have since seen the consultant who said that one tooth was very close to the nerve (he didn't tell me that before) and that it might take up to two years to recover, but that I might never get the felling back in my lip. Well along with the numbness I've had the terrible burning sensation and have struggled to eat and talk. However, things improved significantly since then, although I am still suffering. I totally understand what you're going through as this is a truly horrible thing and I have my fingers crossed for you.  
Had my bottom right side third molar pulled about two weeks ago. At first I just had terrible jaw stiffness on the side the tooth was pulled. Well that resided but now I have chin numbness on the same side. It feels as though there's still novacaine in it & it feels rubbery/puffy to the touch. I'm freaking out because I've never had this side effect before. I'm not sure if it's from the novacaine injections or the actual removal of the tooth. I've had the jaw stiffness before from fillings but never experienced the numbness in my chin & lower lip. Is there anyway to help the numbess reside? As of now I'm not having any tingling/burning, just numbness. I just pray to god this isn't permanent!
Grrr I just wrote a long reply and it didn't work :(
Anyway, my consultant recommendedvitamin B12 as that is good for nerve regeneration. Have you had any burning/tingling or has it always been numb? The numbness in my chin did disappear for a short while, but it is fairly numb again now. When I stroke my chin from left to right I get a matching tingle on my lip from left to right. Very strange.  
Ok, you definately can have pain and numbness from a root canal...I have a permanent case of both (at the same time!) after a dentist used a root canal filling material that contains FORMALDEHYDE, lead and mercury.  Since they weren't supposed to be using this stuff, they decided to tell me that it was likely from the novacaine injection.  That is a common ploy for these dentists to divert the attention away from what they used because they know it is a malpractice suit in the making.  Look at your xrays and make sure that there is not filling material extruded out the bottom of the tooth into surrounding tissue or nerve.  If there is and you have persistent pain, the overfill needs to be removed..sooner than later.  A 3D scan can tell you if the material is in the nerve canal.  I think it is unlikely that the tongue would be affected from a root canal overfill.  Most of the time it is the lip and chin.

If my dentist had told me the truth, immediate surgery would have mitigated the horrific pain that I now live in.   Make sure this stuff, Sargenti Paste, was not used on you.  It is unlikely that an endodontist would us it, mostly general dentists.   If it was used, go to an endodontist...ASAP....and, IMHO, get the tooth out.  Then find a dental attorney.  You don't want that stuff staying in you mouth.   Myself and another lady started a website after we met while both of us were trying to diagnose ourselves because we couldn't count on our dentists to be truthful and forthcoming.

www.worstrootcanalever.com.

Numbness to the lip and chin is damage to the inferior alveolar nerve.  Damage to the lingual nerve causes problems with the tongue.  If you had a tooth extraction and have NO feeling, it is POSSIBLE that you nerve was severed.  If you have some feeling, the nerve is likely damaged or just disrupted.  For extracted teeth issues, see an oral surgeon.  For root canals, go to an endodontist if a general dentist did the root canal.  Go to an oral surgeon if an endodontist did the root canal.  There is no way of knowing how long it will take to get better and unfortunately sometimes it never does.  

Be careful about jumping into some type of nerve repair surgery.  There is a substantial risk that attempting any repair too far out from the injury can make it worse.  Do your homework.  It is best to find an oral surgeon who specializes in microsurgery.
Saynono I've just been looking at your website and I'm shocked by what I've read and I'm so sorry to hear what you havebeen through and that you continue to suffer. Have you found anything to ease the burning sensation? Mine is drving me mad (mostly my lip). All I can do is use lip balm.  
I have same burning of the lips.  NOthing helps them.  Blistex makes it burn worse and vaseline does nothing.  I am so angry and yet so sad.  My surgeon told me that with my age and the fact that my wisdom tooth was on a nerve that there was a 40% chance of having the parethesia.  He told me it would be a challenge for him and was going to leave it alone.  Then he asked me where I had problems before with my teeth and I mentioned that I had recently had an infection on that same side so he said that then he wanted to go forth with the surgery.  He told me since he wanted to focus on nothing other than that tooth, that the surgery would have to be scheduled first thing in the morning.  So needless to say, I was a bit worried to hear the word "challenge" coming from a surgeon and then when they called to tell me that I was the last surgery for the day in the afternoon!  I have two severe dry sockets and paresthesia that is affecting my chin, my lip, and my tongue!!!  Not too mention the burning of the lips.  I also am having severe tooth and gum pain--like when you have sensitive teeth and eat something too cold.  That "twinge" is constant!  I am in so much pain.  It is so difficult to eat and hurts sooo much.  And when I do eat...there isn't much taste except when the food reaches the back of my tongue.  I am crying from reading all of these posts.  My surgery was just over a week ago.  And my dr tells me that he can't do anything and dismisses it like he ensured me with a 100% chance of getting these problems when in fact it was only a 40% chance.  I feel better though, that you mentioned the burning of the lips...cuz I thought I was just making that up in my head.  Does anyone out there have problems with the lower jaw pain and the tooth and gum pain?  With all of them added up...I'm pretty sure I'm going to have this permantly.  I would've rather just had the infections every few months or avoided brushing back there.  I even told the dr that when he said that there was a possibility of this complication...but then I caved when he said that it needed to be done.  ugggh.
Gosh it sounds like you have all the same symptoms as me: toungue, lip, chin, very painful jaw, sore teeth/gums, lack of taste etc. Your post brought tears to my eyes as I know exactly what you're going through as I know how scary, painful and upsetting it is. Not to mention being angry about what has happened to you and thinking how on earth can this be better than the odd bout of pain/antibiotics? I read your post last night, just moments after I had been excitedly telling my partner that I had just realised that I had eaten a meal earlier that evening without being aware of my paraesthesia - what a breakthrough (I had two lower teeth removed in February this year). I was so excited and happy, but then I read your post and just felt overwhelmed with guilt that someone else is feeling as awful as I did not so long ago. However, I want you to know that there is hope as my symptoms have significantly improved and I am beginning to feel like a normal person. It does take time though and you have to be very patient - that is except for my toungue, which suddenly came back one evening which was a massive breakthrough.

I was told right before my operation that it would be very surprising if anything went wrong then when I came round I had an awful feeling that things weren't right. Like you I contacted the hospital a few days later and was told 'you signed the disclaimer' and 'we did warn you' etc. which was a terrible blow. Yes they did warn me about paraesthesia, but they didn't say it would involve unbearable and constant pain that would take over my life and that they wouldn't offer me any support to cope with it. The consultant did recommend vitamin B12, so I would get loats of this and start taking it straight away. I can't say for sure whether it has helped or not, but it is worth taking it anyway. If like me you are chewing on your toungue and cheeks because you can't feel them, then Bonjela is good for soothing the soreness.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful to you, but I would say hang on in there and stay as positive as you can. It is very early days for you and a lot of what you are experiencing in terms of pain and discomfort is directly related to the extraction(s) rather than the nerve damage. Hopefully some of this will have subsided by now though and you are feeling slightly better. When I saw the consultant a about a month after my operation he said that the fact that I had tingling and there had been a slight improvement was very enouraging - can you feel anything or is it completely numb? Since then things have gradually improved and now I can eat anything I want without it hurting my jaw, although I am still senstitive to hot and cold food.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I think what makes paraesthesia particualrly difficult to cope with is that you don't look any different, so it is difficult for others to understand what you are going through, and the fact that you can never escape the pain/horrible sensations is enough to drive you mad.
I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed over 3 weeks ago and was stunned that the numbness and tingling and throbbing jaw pain has not dissipated at all...my oral surgeon says everything is fine but the nerve could send "aberrant signals" for possibly 6 months or more.  I have been popping pain pills every 4 hours for three weeks but now my prescription has run out and I don't know how i am going to be able to stand it.  The numbness and tingling is bearable but the stabbing, throbbing pain in the jaw and lower teeth is excrutiating.  Surgeon has pretty much "washed his hands of the matter" is going to refer me to a pain clinic to manage the pain....I honestly don't know how to handle this.
Had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted 7 days ago of which 3 were impacted. My lips and chin are death numb.....Dr told me to wait 1 month.....any advise?

My uncle, aged 54, had his wisdom teeth removed just over a year ago. Since then, he's been having extreme trouble - his jaw and lower lip go completely slack. He has major difficulty speaking and looks/sounds like he's drunk when he tries to talk. He's been to his dentist since then, who claims it's all in his head. We think his nerve's been damaged by the extraction. It's been over a year now since his condition has developed; the severity of it differs from day to day. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks so much.

-Neice
I was considering to have my wisdom teeth removed, but after signing "waiver" at oral surgeon office at the time of first appointment, I strated to search online.
It is painful to hear so many people having almost the same problems after so-called "routine" procedure.

Guys, if any of you do not get better, you should contact a dental malpractice lawyer. There are many around. In many case, even signed waiver can be overrulled, if dentist or oral surgeon was negligence.

There are also many articles online, especially ones writen by retired general dentist Jay Friedman who advocated against prophylactic removal of wisdom teeth naming it a public hazard.
omg i just had my wisdom teeth pulled on friday and half my tongue cheek, lip and chin are still numb i callled the dentist and she said it would go away in a few days but all i have been reading on here is that it is not going away starting to freak me out cause i cant even talk its soo bad but the worst part is that my dentist didnt even tell me anything about this before she did it absolutely nothing if i knew there was a chance of this i would have never had it done i am soooo scared now i dont want this to go on for my whole life what do i do???????
One of my wisdom teeth was removed 1 month and half ago. Since then I ve been having no feeling in my lower lip and chin,
The doctor prescribed 2 vitamins: B1 & B6
After taking 1 tablet of each per day early in the morning for 2 weeks I felt better.
5 days ago I stopped taking the vitamins and now it is getting worse - meaning.. I can t control my lip (I m 'half smiling')
Next step - I ll see a neurolog

I had also to sign a paper but I could not understand much because was everything in german and the doctor did not take the time to explain all the 'IFs'

I had all four wisdom teeth out 8 days ago (I'm 25). The bottom two were horizontally impacted and were cut out by an oral surgeon. I experienced very manageable pain during recovery and very minimal swelling.

It turns out that Percoset makes me very nauseous, so after the first miserable dose, I switched to 800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for the first few days. I really didn't have "pain" as much as I had tenderness and a sore jaw.

My oral surgeon gave me a velcro-able head sling with pockets for ice packs on both sides of my face, so I kept my jaw iced for pretty much 2 days straight (I think that's why my swelling wasn't noticeable).

I knew going in that I had a slightly higher than average risk of temporary numbness of my lip/chin because of the proximity of my lower impacted wisdom teeth to my inferior alveolar nerve. When I woke up after surgery, the oral surgeon said he didn't think there would be any complications and he didn't think he'd even come close the nerve on either side. Once the anesthesia wore off, I realized the right side of my lip and chin were very numb. It didn't feel as bad as I thought it would, and I didn't notice unless I touched it. It felt like I'd been numbed with Novacaine. After 3 days, it started to itch occasionally, but it still wasn't what I'd call "bad". I knew since I could still feel things like hot/cold when I touched it that the nerve hadn't been completely severed and that there was a high likelihood that it would heal eventually. I decided not to worry about it because it can take up to 6 months to fully heal, so there's not really anything I could do. On day 7, I woke up and had a pretty substanstial change in what I could feel - it still felt Novacained, but I could distinguish between changes in pressure when I touched it. On day 8 (today), almost all feeling has returned and it's incredibly itchy. It's healing a lot faster than I thought it would, which makes me think that it was something putting pressure on the nerve during healing instead of the nerve actually being bruised. I wanted to share so that at least a few of the stories on here end happily. Good luck to everyone who's been struggling with this long term!
  I had 8 lower front teeth pulled, and my lips are driving me crazy!  I can't say that I don't have feeling, but they burn, and even touching them hurts.  I go to the dentist today, and I am going to mention this to them, as eating, and yes, even talking is painful.....

Barbara
here's something for you all. I had my wisdom teeth (all four) removed 3 years this April and to this day the chin and lower lip at still partially numb and constantly "tingly". I was told that it would go away within 3-6 months and it never did. When I returned to the surgeons, I was told the roots were so deep and close to the nerve, it would take some time to heal. Well, 3 years on and it has not gone away. I am so used to it now that I dont notice it. Some days it gets REALLY tingly though and drives me crazy. I hope it will eventually stop, but, who knows.
It has been three years since I had my wisdom teeth out and I have not felt the lower left hand side of my face since march 2008! I am like many in pain my lower jaw hurts all the time it is driving me crazy. I consulted a lawyer who said I had no case.
I had my wisom teeth removed december 4th 2010 I couldnt open my mouth fully for a month after my tounge is still numb and my right side of my jaw is sore.
I had two of my wisdom teeth removed three days ago. First day I couldn't feel the right side of my face (even my ear was numb) but it got better. Now I can't feel my teeth on the right side, can't feel the right half of my bottom lip and my chin. I am getting panic attacks just by thinking that it will not get better. Now and then I feel a little itch on my chin but when I want to scratch it, I don't feel anything. I am so scared!
I had my impacted wisdom tooth removed on 10/01/2011 (UK) and the surgeon said it had 4 roots instead of 3. 3RD molar was on the lower right hand side of my jaw.I was awake throughout with just injections & happy gas (nitrous oxide) to make the process more comfortable. Had incredible pain a few hours after & extremely sensitive teeth around the front of my lower teeth (incisors) still have the sensitive pain ,especially when it's  been cold outside .Kept the extraction area clean & had the stitches removed on Monday,luckily no dry socket ,but still suffering from right side lower lip & chin numbness.surgeon did a sensitivity test on me to see if i could differentiate between sharp & blunt ,I could .so he said to bear with it, and wait for pins & needles or electric shock sensations which means the nerve is repairing itself. Fingers crossed the vitamin B tablets I take will speed things up. I haven't let it stop me eating normally ,well only the first few days I did take it easy , I just keep chewing on the opposite side. i do miss my half pound of toffees each day though...only joking. Good luck to all those out there who have the same issues, : )
udpates anyone? numbness go back to normal for any of you?
My tongue is now 95-98% recovered, but my teeth, lip and chin still have a fair way to go yet. It will be a year next week since I had my two lower wisdom teeth removed. As everyone here knows, recovery is slow and the condition is highly variable from day to day, week to week etc. Just have to stay positive, keep slapping on the lip balm and swallowing the B12 tablets.
I recommend this website to everyone with our condition: http://www.********.net/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
Hi, i've been crying my eyes out reading all your comments as many of you are describing exactly how i'm feeling at the moment and just reading that im not alone has been a great help. Had my 2 lower wisdoms out by local anesthetic on friday morning, after the anesthetic wore off I seemed to regain feeling in my chin and lips although i was very sore and swollen as expected.  On sunday my bottom lip and chin started to tingle and went numb, it is the right side of my chin and lip and the numbness is now like a burning sensation with tingling - keep putting vasaline on lips and it gets unbearable at night when trying to sleep.   Went back to my surgeon yesterday and he said he has never heard of the numbness going to the chin but that because I can feel slight pain when he did a pricking test this is just the nerves healing and I should be ok in a few weeks.  I am not confident as he did not make it clear before surgery that one of my tooth was close to a nerve and only mentioned I may get a tingling lip.  I have been suffering for 2 years with wisdom teeth that were permanently infected, causing me pain, ear infections and headaches, now it looks like i have swopped one set of problems for another and may be in for a long recovery (fingers crossed its not permanent) I will be getting vitamin b12 asap, how is everyone else getting on, has there been any improvement for you?
I'm so sorry to hear you're suffering like the rest of us, although it's strange that the numbness occurred a couple of days after the extraction? Is the swelling getting worse and pressing on a nerve or could there be bleeding doing the same? In my mind, the fact that you did regain feeling and lost it again suggests that there isn't permanent damage, ad in the nerve being severed, but I'm no expert. I have a level of damage called 'neropraxia', which is the least severe and it's thought that perhaps my nerves were just stratched. It is very early days for you, so try and hang in there - stay positive :)
Thanks so much for your kind words, i have had a really bad day today, the numbness and burning has increased and the shooting, stabbing pains in my jaw and front lower teeth got so bad no painkillers were working.  I had to go to hospital, my own dentist and doctor refused to see me and the maxillo facial unit i used was closed! I finally got some prescription painkillers so i can get some sleep, the doctor i saw was shocked my surgeon hadnt given me any to start with.  
It is really strange that i regained feeling and lost it after a day and a half, i am holding onto that positive, the numbness started at the start of day 3 which according to others seems to be when the swelling can be bad. I did wonder if swelling was pressing on a nerve, I do have quite a bit of swelling near the extraction site, its very sore, particularly on the side that is numb so its possible.  As you say its early days.....  thanks again
No problem, happy to help :) I know how painful and fightening this will be for you, but I'm afraid I don't really have any suggestions as to how to make it better. Have you tried taking Ibuprofen for the swelling? I'm afriad I didn't find anything to ease the pain and the burning in my lip was truly the most awful thing ever - I suffered for six months before it disappeared rather quickly (although it has been back since, but only for relatively short periods at a time). Are you in the UK? I think most people around here are American.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Yes i'm from the uk, I am taking Ibuprofen for the swelling dont know if its helping but i will keep taking them for now.  I cannot believe how painful this all is.  The pain radiating in my jaw, chin and bottom teeth is awful, i am assuming this is nerve pain as the doctor cannot see any sign of infection.  I guess a lot of the pain in my jaw could also be the bruising pain from the extraction, it was quite painful on my jaw and chin at the time so i will have to wait for that to heal to see if the pain reduces.  I'm taking the prescription painkillers which help with the pain for a short while but I dont want to become reliant on them,  The "fat swollen burning" pain in my lip and chin is just terrible,, i am finding this so disorientating, its making eating and even talking difficult.
i am getting more and more panicky that this will be permanent.  I haven't had any tingling in my chin for the past couple of days, it just feels numb but do keep getting a fluttering sensation in my lip. Did the tingling come and go on your chin as it healed?
thanks so much for your support, i've read through your story and you have given me hope and encouragement that this will improve for me in time.
I had 2 impacted lower wisdom teeth extracted last Thursday, 6 days ago. Since then, my chin and half of my lower lip is numb. I do believe I have a small sense of heat/cold things but when I touch it, I dont feel anything. My lower teeth are numb on my left side and feels tight together. I know there are worse situations people go through but I feel deformed. I cant talk right, I feel like I have big lip and chin sticking out. Its scary. I want to know if anyone has recovered from this and how long it took. I know some have and havent but I need to have hope. Ive been feeling alone in this as no one is taking this seriously. Thanks.
Hi Naygirl00
I totally understand what you are feeling and experiencing right now, its been 2 weeks since i had my wisdom teeth removed and i have the same problems as you.  I have been very distressed about it but found worrying and stressing was making the symptoms worse. My chin, teeth and bottom lip actually hurt from the numbness.  I can feel some heat/cold but thats about it.  Have you had any tingling, fizzing or tickling type feelings on your lip or chin?? Apparently this is a good sign.  I will be honest some days have been worse than others, some days I have had lots of pain and burning on my lip and chin, other days it hasn't been as bad.  I have found it difficult to talk, that seems to make it worse sometimes, also eating has been difficult.
Have you spoken to your Oral surgeon about this? Mine is convinced i will recover in a few weeks, i think its going to be slow progress, i have definately felt some progress already though, over the past 2/3 evenings i have felt a fizzing feeling in my chin and this seems to help relieve the burning/numb sensation for a short while.  My bottom teeth felt really tight and painful for the first 8 days, i was having nerve like pain on them and it was constant.  Although they still feel uncomfortable when brushing i have definately seen an improvement in the tightness feeling.  I have been taking Vitamin B12 for the past 4/5 days, lots of websites refer to this vitamin as being useful.  My surgeon said don't bother but i'm going to continue with them, cannot hurt.
You are very early days so try not to worry, i know exactly what you mean about the big lip/chin sticking out - my family and friends don't understand because i look just the same but i can feel this huge sore bottom lip burning constantly, its really uncomfortable and upsetting and I am constantly rubbing my chin.  Take care :-))
Hiya really sorry I've not responded - having a bit of a rubbish time ATM so not had a chance. I think the fact the pain cones and goes is very encouraging - mIne was constant for six months with no change. Also as you say, the sensations are good news too, even though they are horrible.

Will try and respond properly at some point.
i'm 57 + had  my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed  Oct. 28, 2010. After a few days  the lower left side of my lip, chin + teeth became numb. I was told due to my age to expect this but it might go away in a few months. On 2 follow up visits it seemed to be improving a good bit. About a week ago the numbness came back + now seems more intense than ever. It even seems to be a little on the right side as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm in a panic.
OMG that is EXACTLY what happened to me. My lower wisdom teeth were horizontal and the pain was bearble and barely any swelling. i havent been able to feel my right side of my lips nor my right chin. Today is the 6th day after surgery and i am hoping to get better. I am so scared :( but my chin does get extremely itchy and i feel a little bruising in that area...my teeth on that side that were numb are starting to get tingly. I just hope i regain feeling of my lips and chin again :( if it did for you then it might for me since we have almost identical problems. Tomorrow will be day 7 and i will let you guys know :)
How are you doing now I had my wisdom teeth taken out feb 8th 2011 my face turned blue and black I swelled very bad had to get steroids to stop the swelling. I have stitches on top and bottom my problem is that my right bottom lip and chin are numb, I can feel burning and tingling sensations all day long it is driving me crazy. I was just wondering how you were doing if your feeling ever came back.
Goodness it sounds like you've had a tough time, i didn't have any bad facial swelling and didn't need stitches thank goodness. My chin, lip, teeth and gums are still causing me problems but there has definitely been noticeable improvement, most of which in my front teeth/gum and one small part of my bottom lip.
Every day is different though, some days are worse than others, some days my teeth really hurt and I find eating difficult. Other days its my chin and lip that cause more pain and discomfort. I did have a week or so where the tingling and fizzing sensations in my chin and lip stopped, I got concerned because apparently these sensations are good but over the past few days they have started again along with a tickling feeling like there is a stray hair on my chin. My surgeon now expects the feeling to fully return in three months, things are slow to improve so I've just learnt to be patient and try not to get upset, I've really noticed that if I get upset the burning and pain in the chin and lip gets worse. I'm still taking the B12 as well. You had your teeth done at similar time to me, have you noticed any improvement at all?
Hi, I had my wisdom teeth taken out 4 years ago, in March 2007.  Since then, the left side of my tongue has gone numb.  At first, it was very difficult to deal with, it was all I could think about and I couldn't concentrate on anything because it was such a dreadful feeling.  However, I guess now it has become a part of me...it still bothers me at times, but I've learned to live with it.   The dentist keeps on saying that this nerve can take years to heal if it does at all.  Being a medical student, I can tell you that when nerves heal, they sometimes heal inappropriately, so you might have altered sensation.  This tongue numbness doesn't affect my ability to eat or enjoy food, it's just really annoying, but i haven't given up hope. I just go on with the hope that one day it might return to normal.  But it does get better, I promise.
Hey Sarah. Your problem sounds similar to mine, did your feeling ever come back? I have been numb for over a year and It's breaking me out, I was told it should be back by now.
How is everyone doing on this thread? I will tell u all my story soon when in front of pc not on phone...would love to know if there's any hope...
Hi! I was just going to give an update since my last post. I had lower wisdom teeth extracted on 2/17/11 and had lower lip/chin numbness. Since then, my feeling has come back about 90% and it is such a relief! There's still that unnoticeable 10% that I have in a small area in my lower gum but by small I mean like the size of pea. It only took a couple months. So I hope this gives hope to those of you who has had it done and believe it is possible to turn back to normal or at least extremely close. Good Luck to everyone!!!

Hi Naygirl and everyone else still on this thread

I am glad to hear things are back to normal for you, i am losing my mind - i have had the numbness for over a year an am beginning to lose hope, I had an abscess after an extraction after a filling that didn't work, I had to have many operations to fix the abscess and at the end of it have been left with a numb bottom lip and gums behind, it's been over a year and I am at the end of my tether, i have recently found out that my jawbone is still infected - could this be causing the numbness? My doctor and hospital are trying new antibiotics before operating again

Someone please give me some hope before I lose my mind, is there anyone else out there who ha been numb this long then got the feeling back? It's been about 15 months for me now, any advice on what i can do?

If you are out there please give me some hope!
Four weeks ago I had the removal of 5 teeth... 3 impacted wisdom and 2 other molars.  My experience was HORRIBLE. 2 days after surgery I apparently had dry socket...I was experiencing pain that  would start in my jaw and go through my face into what seemed like my brain.  I went through 6 packings which was to help the pain and it worked like magic.....at first.  However after treatment number 6 i was back again at the surgeon in EXCRUTIATING PAIN... this pain cause me to lose sleep for damn near 3 full weeks having 4-6 hour stretches of pain.  In the meanwhile the Dr. was prescribing me 750mg of Vicodin.  I am not a med taker... i believe in natural healing.. .however this pain was so intense i was feeling like I wanted to die!! Literally. It was soooooooo unbearable and unmanagable. Not to mention it felt like a lighter was being held on my chin to accompany this torment.  When My husband during week 3 called the Dr. in a panic socared for me the Dr. told him I was a "Junkie".   After giving me about 6-7 bottles of Vicodin, some tramadol, naproxen... then told me I was having muscle spasms and ordered me Valiums....  Nothing worked.  Luckily my auntie out of state is a dental assisstant for about 20 yrs.  She told me to stop taking all meds immediately.  After just a few aways aaaallll  my pain ceased!!!!  Becareful for Dr.s overmedicating you, especially if you are not accustomed to taking even asprin.  I found that ibuprophen worked well for me.  Still though my face is partially numb.. my lip chin and tongue...  at first it was to the back the left side stretching past the middle of my lip.  slowly i think its coming back.  Its now  from a little past the corner of my mouth to the same place.  I sometimes getting a deep shotting pain and tingling feeling which I hope is good.  But my tongue feels crazy!!!   I think the most important thing to focus on is not what happens just during surgery but the POST OPERATIVE CARE!!!. My Dr. failed me there by not keeping me informed and treating me like a chart and not an individual...  but they say "Everyone is Different".... yet they treat us statistically!  at this point Ive already gotten in touch with the board of oral surgeons.  They are strict.  Its important to obtain a copy of your record BEFORE you flip out and demand immediately so it cannot be alterted.. and get in touch with the board.  We all share a horror story that often could be eliminated with good after care... if you feel as though you been mistreated and not well informed to insure proper care such as myself... report them immediately.  Silence is NOT ALWAYS GOLDEN!!!!!!!!
Hello everyone. I had a tooth and wisdom tooth removed 4 days ago and my nerve was in the middle of the root of my wisdom tooth. Needless to say the nerve was stretched so i have numbness in my chin and lip on the left side along with my gum. The weird thing is the left corner of my mouth is not numb. The surgeon stated on time would tell. I was already taking B-12 so was happy to read that it might help. i do have the itching creep crawly, burning sensation. Sometimes when I am somewhere really cold my lip gets eally cold and feels weird. I am glad I found this site becuase it has made me hopeful. Also a co-worker had the same problem but hers came back  after 3 months. I am hopeful!!!
I had one wisdom tooth pulled a few weeks ago and after noticing the numbess didn't go away the next day I looked it up on the internet.  I also noticed people rarely report back and it is probably because they get better.  Needless to say it was not very encouraging. Anyhow, my lip and chin (right side) were completely numb, felt like it was burning, fat and tight. Then i started getting the tingling and unscratchable itch telling me something was going on with the nerve.  After about 3 weeks some of the pressure started going down and the feeling has started to return.  Two days ago was better than yesterday.  I was reminded just a moment ago to come back and comment because the feeling is starting to come back again as I type.  I suspect I'll lose feeling again but I'm confident at this point that eventually it will fully heal in another week or so.

So if it has only been a few days and you're still numb, I just suggest that you chill out and give it a few weeks.
I got my two top wisdom teeth and the bottom right pulled on June 22. Until July 4, the numbing went away as soon as local and general anesthesia wore off the same day but on July 4, I got a sudden episode of tingling that lasted about 5 seconds on my bottom right jaw, right side of my tongue and towards the front of my lip. Mind you this started almost 2 weeks after my extractions. I called the dentist on Tuesday since a few more minor episodes followed and was told that it could be the anesthesia still wearing off and sometimes your still numb but enough to notice and the sensations are the nerve getting feeling back as it heals. Well by Friday I went back to the dentist for followup because it has gotten progressively worse in terms of severity, frequency and spreading thru the right of my face. The dentist said it should stop in about a week, the extraction sites look to be healing perfectly and the nerve was merely tampered with as the root of my bottom tooth sat cushioned on the nerve and sensation will subside as the nerve repairs itself from the tampering. Well here I am over a week after face to face follow up and it has progressed to pressure under my chin during episodes along with pressure shooting up above my right ear leaving me dizzy, tingling and with a lump or choked up feeling in my throat. It's starting to get hard to believe it is even related to the nerve or extractions. I get thrown into panic when it happens cause I already suffer panic disorder and I think Im having a stroke or something although none of this started until after the extractions. Do these extreme symptoms mimic anyone else's? There is no pain, just tingling and pressure. It is very discomforting and scary. Im beginning to live in fear of the next episode.
I am a 24 year old male and I just had 4 wisdom teeth removed on the 18th of August (4 Days Ago). I had a tooth that was close to a nerve and my surgeon took several x-rays to ensure that he knew what he was dealing with before he went into the surgery. My surgeon voiced his concerns and went ahead with the extraction. I am still quite numb on a small portion of my lip and chin on the side that the surgeon saw a potential issue with the tooth being so close to the nerve. All in all the surgery seems to have gone well, but I have the remaining paresthesia. Parts of my lip and chin are tingly, which from what I've read here is a good sign. It is a prickly feeling as if your foot was asleep. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow morning and I am sure that he will tell me the same things as everyone else here, wait it out.
Hi I had my wisdom and 2 half toothsome from the bottom extracted 3 weeks ago tock my oral sugon 1 min for the wisdom and fee mins for the other 2 ficking them out then he removed the roots or nerves underneath he sed since that day  I been getting tiggling crawling on my face neck burning ear burned head chills tiggling am on my 3 rd week now and have more burning to my face which I never had till now tiggling seems it's fadded Dnt really get to menore I feel numbness and little chills 2day when ever I thouch someet that area gets worse I poke my ear it will get dumb for a day or 2 like senitive I rub my lip it will burn later in the day any help or hope I been doctors dentents no help I try dazepam which it made me feel them chills so I come off it stright away am only using nurofine irabofine I feel like killing myself I have 2 kids 1 2 & the other 4 am only 27 I was told after he injected me I could have lip numbness for life and it was mower near the nerve wen I asked him any hope or any 1 that has cone out of this horror
Last night I went on to emegency I wad told to use cordal mouthwash for my top burning lip that I never had till yesteday it has helped but burning is speading elsewer he has also gave me a letter for my dentist to send me to hospital for burning mouth syndome & alyncal focal plain he also sed to go his sugery on Monday which I be on holiday so when u come back I will register there I have some hope he also sed am not going crazy and sed about the crawing b4 I even spoke to him about all my systoms he knws and understands me and sed I can get antidepenties not for depesstion but to Caim down the nerves I find out after 2 weeks Dnt know how I am going be there but I will not give up I will go a & e there aswell as I think the uk don't care about our needs but only money
Hello all,

I like everyone else here has numbness in my tongue. However I just had all four wisdom teeth taken out yesterday. They spent over an hour before hand answering all of my questions and explained some of the risks associated with the removal. Now I am not a dental student or a dentists, but they explained it...I am going to try and explain it just like they did to me.  Apparently my bottom right wisdom tooth was touching the nerve that controls feeling in my lower jaw and tongue. They explained that there would be a risk of numbness if both my tongue and/or lower jaw. They also stated that the numbness would go away on its on, but they cannot guarantee how long that would take..could be a week, month, year...just never know.  Sounds as if most of you had a similar problem, but your dentist did not take the time to explain the risks with your particular situation. Everybody's teeth are different, so every situation and risks involved are different. It ***** I know, I feel great to have just had this done yesterday, but my tongue is tingly and slightly numb.  I 100% trust my dentist and the team involved, and I appreciate their being up front with the possibilities and risks.
Naygirl, Thank you for posting something positive on the wall of sadness.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed just over 2 weeks ago. After the freezing wore off, I noticed that I still had numbness on the front left side of my bottom lip and jaw (stops right above the lower jaw bone) For me, this sounds hopeful, I'm not sure how nerves work but if I can still feel everything but a small chunk (corner of my lip down to the center of my lip down). I tried calling my dentist this week to get an answer as to when this may return, unfortunately not only is the assistant avoiding answering my questions so is the dentist. Apparently the chance of the numbness is only 4-5% of patients who get the extractions done.

This week sometime I started getting this crazy itchy and tingly sensation that sometimes gets rather painful. I notice that before when I bit down with that side, that it felt like I wasn't biting down on anything, now I can notice the pressure, if I scratch at my gums, there's faint pain, and if I bite my lip, it actually does hurt. So there is some sensations there, it will just take time. I found that writing down the little things that I notice helped me notice when there was good changes.

I found that my dentist failed to inform me of a lot of things, just said that I should have paid more attention to the waiver. I do sleep dentistry.. they didn't give me the waiver until after I had taken the medication. Sounds good eh?

I'll post again when I feel more, or if any changes occur. I wish more people would come back and update and let people know if their face feels any better. Give some people some hope.

(17 days post surgery)
I experienced numbness from the right side of my lower lip all the way down to my chin 3days after my wisom teeth removal. I had all 4 removed. I was extremely worried, realizing this was abnormal and went on all these forums reading other peoples responses. Some gave me hope, whilst others worried me even more. I went to my surgeon and he performed a test on me. Basically, if you can still feel the sharp ***** of a needle, or the feeling of a sponge, even if lightly across your numb area, the odds are in your favour that you will heal 100 percent. Like 99 percent likelihood. It is VERY rare that it will be nerve damage, like less than 5 percent chance. In my case, the numbess dissapears gradually, day by day. Its a slow process and for me it took just over 2months to gain feeling back. Please dont lose faith that you will get better. Dont let the numbness affect how you live your life.
I had a compacted bottom right wisdom tooth removed.  The extraction took nearly an hour as they had to gut the gum and drill the bone.  The after pain was horrific.  I still have sensitive front teeth and numbness and tingling in the right side of my chin.  This has been for the past two months.  I wish I had not had it out as it was not really causing me any problems.  
I was told that my right lower molar could be problematic so I googled it and found this forum -- it is shocking that this happened to you as percentages given are always so low. I feel sorry for all of you.

You might find this article interesting:

The Prophylactic Extraction of Third Molars: A Public Health Hazard
Jay W. Friedman, DDS, MPH

I have decided that if the doctor can't guarantee me no nerve damage in the lower right jaw that I will tell them to not touch that molar but take out the other 3.
I got ALL my teeth removed 3 days ago, and needed a lot of stitches, my mouth is very painfull and I have a horrible taste in my mouth, it's making my breath smell very bad. I can't taste either.. Can someone give me advive on what to do next please?!
2 weeks ago today I went in to have a lower molar treated. It had cracked and become infected and if anyone knows the excruciating pain associated with that then you'll understand I wanted it out, but my Dentist talked me into saving it with root canal work.

My circumstances may have been a little different because of the obvious infection, but immediately after the initial work, the Novocain had worn off but my entire lower jaw, inside and out on the treated side were still numb, especially my lower lip - I have feeling above the join where upper and lower lips meet, but numb on lower lip - the sort of feeling like you have a fat lip. It seems to intensify when I eat or drink and then later lapse back to general numbness.

The strangest part of my experience is that I also have a goatee, and I get this sensation in the numb area that something is crawling through it, like a flea or a small bug but when I rush to a mirror to find it I see just a single hair standing erect and dancing like it has a mind of its own. The other symptoms I had, including the lock-jaw seem to be wearing off and I'm getting more movement and relief there, but the constant numbness on the right side of my face and lower lip is driving me crazy. I've been back 3 times with the complaint and the Dentist keeps suggesting alternative causes, but seemed a little too nonchalant for my liking when he said the "worst case scenario was permanent nerve damage and that there is little they can do about that." Crikey, I hope not - I can't stand the dribbling and my tongue can't leave it alone, but by reading all your comments it looks like I might be in for the long, numb and slightly tingly haul.

Thank you for all your comments, at least I can start making sense of it which is a lot better than the dentist shutting the door in your face when it comes to an explanation. I wish you all well.

Cheers,
Brad - Australia.
I have been feeling a slight tingling on the right side of my face for a few weeks.  I then noticed a hole in my back molar, from where an old filling began to decay.  I went to get 2 crowns put on and now the tingling feeling comes back more often and Im so freaked out! I thought I was going to havew a stroke last night!!! HELP
I live in constant burning pain from dental work.  I had no problem with wisdom tooth extractions or root canals, but huge problems with latex sensitivity.  I have scars in my mouth, lips, and face from contact with latex gloves that hurt and burn chronically.  I have had injections with carpules that were not latex free and the injection sites hurt and burn.  It's a chronic immune reaction, and I am wondering if some of you could be latex sensitive.  There are only two anesthetic carpule makers, SeptodontUSA and Astra that sell anesthetic carpules free of latex in the diaphragm that the needle passes through and the stopper.  Latex can leach into the anesthetic.  If the diaphram part of the carpule is left to soak in alcohol or wiped with it, it can go be introduced into the tissues when the injection is made causing injury.  Time helps and avoiding more insults to the immune system.  Also, if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, avoid anesthetics like Articaine that contains sulfa.
I am in the Military and just returned from Iraq, I had a filling done over a broken or chipped filling.  It felt fine after, now I have the same numbness everyone is talking about.  I spoke to the dentist today and we are now playing a waiting game.  They were really nice about it, because on the x-ray nothing was seen.  I am hoping that it will go away.  I cannot feel my husband’s kiss and I bit my tongue and cheek several times today.  Does anyone jaw hurt also?
Linda
I got my tooth pulled today and my jaw still hurts what should I do
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out almost a week ago. After surgery, I continued to feel numb in my mouth, lips and chin. After the first 24 hours, feeling returned (though it was diminished) to much of my face. Unfortunately, no feeling returned to my right bottom lip and right side of my chin. After nearly 7 days, I am completely numb in these areas with diminished ability to smile and speak. I am very concerned that the loss of sensory feeling will be permanent. I contacted a leading microsurgeon at UCSF with a lot of experience repairing the inferior alveolar nerve (a branch of the mandibular nerve that may be damaged during wisdom tooth removal). He told me that if there is any return of sensation to the area in three weeks (return of sensation includes tingling, burning, itching, etc.) there is a very good chance that with time, full sensation will return. If, however, the area is completely "dead" after this time frame, he would like to examine me. Still, he chooses to wait an additional 5 weeks before turning to surgery as an option. Apparently, there are three types of injuries that may occur to the nerve as a result of the wisdom tooth surgery: 1. Severing of the nerve (unlikely if operation is performed by a competent surgeon). 2. Crushing of the nerve. 3. Hematoma that results from damage by the needle that administered the nerve block. Usually patients have a gradual return of feeling in 10-14 days with this scenario. If the nerve is crushed and can't fix itself, microsurgery can remove the damaged portion of the nerve and join the healthy ends together. He said about 60% of his patients benefit from this surgery, reporting anything from significant improvement to total regaining of feeling. I hope I don't have to undergo another surgery to get my feeling back but after nearly a week with no feeling, I'm at the end of my rope. Good luck to everyone.
I had a root canal procedure last week, and just noticed numbness in my lower jaw. My first root canal procedure by the same dentist went fine. This time, there were some complications. When they were going to put in the replacement crown two weeks ago, the nerve was too inflamed for him to continue. Last week, the procedure went okay but I still have ongoing soreness in the jaw and now the numbness too. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.
I too am having the same symptoms as you are - I live on Advil.  Was told this would be gone in 6 months - it has been 3 months and I don't have any faith that this will ever end!  My gums and teeth get hard like a rock and the feeling is horrible.  We sign waivers and are at the dentist's mercy because we need them - so we have no recourse!  All we can do is pray that this really will come to an end.  Keep the faith.
JDM421
JDM421
Hey guys, I had my two tooth removed on Friday evening and I am having numbness in my lower lip even after 3 days and reading about your messages scares me. I feel very sad for people having this for years. The doctor did say something about the nerve being damaged during the operation. Lets wait and see.
i have had the same thing happen to me...i had mine removed 3 years ago and my mouth is constantly on fire.  i really wish there was something i could do for this as it is causing my relationship with my new husband to be very rocky.  i can not kiss him because my mouth constantly feels like pins and needles.  i really wish there was something i could do. :(
Good news to those who have suffered with this. I is now... 5 months later and the feeling has fully returned. I'm still unsure of when it fully came back, it was while I was sleeping one day. But it does go away!! I posted further on up for those who are curious :) Most people never come back, but I did!
HI!  Thanks for coming back and posting your status.  I had 3 wisdom teeth removed on Friday, January 27tth.  My bottom left wisdom tooth was impacted and was growing sideways.  Like everyone else, I received the "there is a chance of nerve damage, now sign the paper" speech.  It is now a little over a week and I've already been back to have the bottom tooth packed due to dry socket.  I also still have no feeling from my bottom left lip down to chin.  My lip feels like rubber and I often mistake it for the food I'm eating and accidentally bit my lip frequently. I have a dull ache in my bottom left teeth and it still feels like the inside of mouth is swollen.  I can't eat on that side of my mouth.  It is such an awkward, annoying and uncomfortable feeling that I just want to cry sometimes.  I do experience tingling so I'm hopeful that means it will eventually come back.  I take 800mg of Ibuprofren every 8 hours.  Is there anything else that anyone can recommend to help the discomfort?  Any remedies to help move along the healing process?  Thanks everyone!
I'm so very sorry for you. I hope you really recover soon. I never did. I had My lower wisdom tooth pulled almost 30 years ago and I still can't kiss eat hot or cold food, can't wear a scarf etc...My dentist back the told me the same thing they tell everybody. That is going to take a month then 6 months then a year but nothing happened. I went to a maxillosurgeon who finally told me it was a permanent damage to the nerve. He advise me to go to a specialist on nerve grafting but that  was up to me because that procedure was still not very safe. Well I decided not to go. I was afraid that I couldn't be able to even close my mouth, besides all my pain. Half of my lower lip still feels like burning and if I or something touches it it feels like they are yanking off the rest of my teeth and half of my chin. To you and whoever reads this, I wish with all my heart you get well soon. But go to see an specialist right away. The technology is very advanced now days but you have to keep asking for a second or third opinion. Don't go back to the same person. He/she won't tell you because of malpractice issues. I am a grandmother and I am 59 years old.
Has anyone here regained feeling. I have no feeling in my tongue after having all 4 wisdom teeth removed and its been over a week. I am going completely insane and I am so worried. The oral surgeon said he "hopes" I get the feeling back.. and see you in 6 weeks!! I am horrified.
Yes they have, so try to stay positive and take vitamin B12. Have you any sensation at all, such as tingling, crawling, burning?
I got three wisdom teeth taken out a month ago, two of which were horizontally impacted. I'm 33 yrs old. I was totally numb on my lower lip and chin. I wasn't too worried about it the first week since I assumed it was just part of the recovery process. Going back to work was incredibly stressful and frustrating as my lower lip burned as if it were extremely chapped, I couldn't feel my lower lip and my smile was crooked since the left side wouldn't move. The tingling would occur every now and then and it would give me hopes that I'd regain complete feeling again. Things have gotten a lot better since then. I'm at week 4, and although my lower lip and chin still feel like rubber, the burning has stopped and I believe my smile is back to normal (although in my head it still feels awkward since it's still kinda numb). I still bite my lip sometimes when I eat, and it feels like I have a scar on the inside of my mouth by my gums which drives me crazy, but when I look, there's nothing there. The sudden bursts of tingling in my chin and lower lip I used to get has stopped, but that scares b/c they said that lets you know the nerve is healing. All I can do is stay positive, pray and keep hoping for the best. I'll keep posting, especially if I recover fully. It's really good to know I'm not on my own.
Hi everyone I thought i would come back and report on my progress to give others some hope of recovery.  I had my lower wisdom teeth removed just over a year ago - see my posts feb 2011. I suffered some nerve damage which i was told was "hopefully temporary".  I experienced numbness and burning of my whole chin and bottom lip as well as shooting, stabbing pains in my jaw and front lower teeth.  I took B12 in the early days and found that the more stressed or upset i got the worse the symptoms. Gradually slowly over the past year the feeling in my lip and chin has returned and all the other symptoms started to improve.  I am now only left with a small area on the left side of my bottom lip that is numb, if i rub that part of my lip i get a tingling sensation in my chin.  This is bearable and doesn't cause me any issues with eating/drinking/kissing.
When i first had my teeth out i was told it could take a few months to regain the feeling but it has taken 9 - 12 months - dont give up hope.
I just had my wisdom tooth pulled last Wed and my chin and lips are numb and tingling. Should I give it time or go see a neurological specialist?
It has been a month and I am still numb, my chin, and left jaw(the hard one to get out) I had both bottom wisdoms out.  I have a piece of bone coming out my hole( which both our still HuGe) on the right side and the left I am still a chipmunk and it hurts to touch my jaw.  He won't give me antibiotics until he sees me in four days. Ahh.
I was awake and also felt everything because I have a high tolerance to drugs due to my pain patch.  Anyway sorry to hear about you, sounds like I have a long road ahead.
Take care.
Always,
Kelly
My lower right wisdom tooth was taken out 2 yrs ago and the surgeon managed to sever a nerve causing a complete loss of sensation in my lower right lip and chin.    Most of the time I do not notice it but from time to time, it really aggravates me by tingling and burning.   Guess I just have to live with it  :(
Hey Sara I just read your comment.....do you still have the numbeness?
I got my wisdom tooth removed 2 months ago and my bottom lip and chin is numb and my dentist said it will come back. But I just went back today because I am having SHARP pain do you have pain? He said maybe I can have surgery, Well I don't want to do that that's why I'm on here looking for answers.
Ashley
Its been 7 years since my face has been numb from my wisdom teeth extraction. The scariest part was when the novocaine wore off while I was at home but the right side of my lower lip and right chin remained numb. I called the surgeon, Timothy Simmons but was told I signed the waiver and there was nothing they could do about it. I saw neuro specialists at Univ of Md which were helpful and eased my anxiety alittle bit but it has been years and I still have complete numbness to those areas. Sometimes when I eat, I will have a piece of food on my face and I cant feel it! I have my bad days where I am upset about it but I am a nurse and I have seen ppl suffer strokes who can no longer use thewhole left side of their body so it makes me look at things in a different perspective. I do agree with having a support group because this is a difficult thing to go through.
I have a lower wisdom tooth in, impacted under gum, giving pain, dentist at hospital told me about the numbness risks, as I am 43 now, had other 3 out when was younger see. He wants me to try these other options first, like another filling done, in case its leaky etc, as the tooth caught around the nerve.

Having the numbness on your jaw and lip, is this very painful?
Does it make you dribble or lose bodily function of your mouth?
My back went years ago and I have part numbness down one leg from damaged nerve at time and it felt like pins and needles for ages then all of a sudden the pins and needs went, I had it down to my foot to. I still have slight numbness in part of my leg and foot one side. But not painful and gotten used to it now. My body has adjusted.

Surely since my tooth in impacted to it will cause probs with my other teeth in the end?

I dont want to end up with this numbness in my face and lips that people here describe, but at same time, dont want wisdom tooth pain either.

What do I do for the best?
Hi Guys, I am from Japan and I just had my tooth removed last 3/23.
Since then I have suffered numbness on my left lower lip. It was so frustrating that the doctors is just saying they don't know when it will last.

Right now, they gave me vitamin b12 (500 mg) / day. Is this he right dosage?
I am also eating a lot of liver and other b12 enriched foods to help, however I noticed that
the gums that where the wisdom tooth was removed, I noticed a white inside... :(( do i have a dry socket?
it hurts a lot when I drink hot or cold water :(

Let's think positive and help each other cope up with this. It is very difficult to eat and you can't even notice if food is already dripping or you already have bitten your lip. I also have canker sores because of the biting.

I will keep you posted guys. But do try to eat foods rich in vit b12 and such. Also try to minimize the stress and sleep early.

I think the best way is to eat healthy and live a healthier life here on to help the nerves heal.

Neri
Good news. My last post was on Feb 28 2012. But 4 months later from my original surgery in January, I'm pretty much finally back to normal. The numbness on my chin and lower lip just faded away very slowly. I didn't take any meds for this, it just happened on its own.
If your face is numb after the second day, use tiger balm at night. Its uncomfortable but it worked for me.
hi - i had my rt lower wisdom tooth out by a dentist.  he never warned me of any problems that might occur or signed ppwk.  i too, was scheduled the very next morning b/c of an infection.  i was not put out and was told it was an extremely difficult extraction.  i have numbness in my bottom lip to chin on the rt side and all my rt side bottom teeth.  after a painful dry socket episode the first week, the pain went from just pain, to pain and extreme burning in my bottom lip. like a hot coal was placed on your lip.  nothing helped but pain meds, which made it tolerable. after several weeks of living on ibuprofen the burning has seized (thank God) and the pain is tolerable where i am managing it with 2 advil usually once daily.  it is over a month now from the surgery and my gum is still really swollen where my cheek basically hangs over it.  i am always biting it.  the worst part is still the numbness and also pain where your jaw and ear meet.  i constantly hold it for comfort.  especially if i am speaking for a period of time.  when i bend over (even for a few seconds) there is a horrible pressure on that side of my face and i have to stand up.  my question to you is, did you ever recover?  i hope you can give me hope that i will not have to live like this forever. i have seen an oral surgeon who i am following up with and may have to see a nerve specialist.  just as an FYI for everyone...BURNING IS NOT GOOD.  my dentist told me it was healing. wrong!  the oral surgeon told me it does not mean healing, in fact, it may mean a neuroma is forming on a nerve and after 3 mth's, never damage is perm if not corrected earlier.  sorry so long...i guess i needed to vent. totally fed up, oh, and just received the rest of the dentist's bill in the mail!  looking forward to your response.  thanks.
I'm 31, had my left lower wisdom tooth removed 1 year ago.  I was having a lot of pain, seen a dentist as an emergency appointment, she did a spot x-ray and said it was impacted and needed to come out.  There was very little conversation, seemed like a routine thing and she stated it could be done in office.  I asked if I needed to be put on antibiotics for a certain amount of time prior to surgery and told no and she fit me in 2 days later.  I was happy because I was pretty uncomfortable.  The appointment: I was nervous of course, the freezing went well which made me think ok this is going to be fine.  Well WRONG!! I felt like I was a part of another SAW movie.  I've never experienced pain like that and she seemed to be getting frustrated with me although I hung in their like a trooper.  The pressure was of course uncomfortable which she thought I was upset with, but that wasn't it.  Every time she would pull I would get this severe intense shooting pain in my face, she would ask, pain or pressure and I would moan PAIN! It was such a terrible experience, but the worst was yet to come.  I was never explained or told about the possibility of nerve damage.  I was stressing because I felt like the freezing wasn't wearing off, I'm a nurse and my husband is a medic so I knew that this wasn't normal.  I phoned her at home the next day, as directed if I had problems, and she casually states oh the numbness can take 6 months to come back.  I was so upset, but also in so much pain.  I became very sick because I also had a bad infection which was not being treated properly.  After a week and numerous phone calls and visits (some she didn't even show up for and had her colleague see me) I finally was given proper pain control and antibiotics.  I was told to take advil for my nerve damage.  I lost the feeling in my left lower lip, chin and gums!! As the months go on the complete numbness has been replaced with severe hypersensitivity in my lip and chin.  Food gets caught in my gums and I have to be constantly checking because I can't feel it.  I get severe pain in my face, under my ear.  It's painful to kiss my new husband (very upsetting this was all going on during our wedding day). The worst part: the DROOLING.  I'm taking medications which help but doesn't take the hypersensitivity away, and of course the best side effect:25 lb weight gain.  WHAT a NIGHTMARE!! I did contact the dental board and told she has done nothing wrong and she is feels she has done absolutely nothing wrong! I do know things could be worse, I'm healthy, have amazing support systems but it is frustrating that something which could probably have been prevented is now something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life!

**please contact me with any questions!! I'm here to help and support if needed**
I get so sad to hear such painful story. Yes things happen sometimes that shouldn't supposed to be. As a dentist I know that it's quite common and its painful for the patient and the doctor as well. So sorry for this mishap and also glad that you understand. Wish you a early recovery from this complication and have a normal life.
I had all 4 wisdom teeth out 5 days ago. I was able to eat solid foods the day after surgery which was nice, but similar to stories im reading on here initially I experienced complete numbness in my tounge, chin, both lips and lower gums. Happy to say that now tounge and top lip are fine.

However with the pains I have been I'd prefer it all to be numb, it feels as though someone has put toothpicks inbetween my gum and each of my lower teeth, my bottom lip gets random 'electric shock' type surges and my chin constantly tingles.

To be honest I thought that the areas where the teeth came out would be the sore parts but have had no trouble at all with them, I guess the best thing to do is try to remember that its all in your head and the pain is not actually real!

Jarred Tomas
hi,i had my 4 wisdom tooth pulled thee last january,but my lips is still numb,sometimes,it numbs but also sometimes its not numbing..what is the medication for these??this will not be permanent right??please reply,by the way,im filipina and my name is aiko:)nice to meet you
im having a 4 wisdom teeth removed as well as a 5 tooth that was a root canal, one away from the bottom right wisdom tooth. i have read most of the things one here and my surgeon has informed me that ALL my wisdom teeth are wrapped around the nerves so i have little to no faith ill be able to feel anything anymore. what i wanna know is can you speak normal and my upper nerves are wrapped and head to my sinus cavity...so will i lose sense of smell and taste? and one more thing, is it like the symptoms of a stoke??
Have you had them removed? Are they causing so much pain that you are willing to risk a lifetime of loss of sensation, pain and horrid sensations?

I got my 4 wisdom teeth out a week ago tomorrow (none impacted, none of them even had roots), and I'm having all these same symptoms. My lower lip and chin are numb (mostly on the right side) and a couple of my front teeth have that "squeezed together" feeling, that is driving me nuts. My chin and lip aren't really bothering me, they're just numb, I do feel some tingling and I definitely had the "itchy" feeling, but it's nothing unmanageable, just kind of annoying. I had a very good recovery, no dry sockets, and the surgical sites themselves don't hurt at all. I'm partially relieved to read that this is a common thing, but now I am terrified that it might take so long to regain feeling. I am seeing my oral surgeon tomorrow, and now I'm very nervous for what he will say. Luckily it doesn't seem to affect my smiling or eating habits, I'm already back to eating normal non-soft foods again. But now I am so afraid it will take so long for the numbness to go away or that it will never go away.

In an info packet they gave me, they did warn me this could happen, but in the packet it said it should go away in a couple days and I didn't receive the packet until post surgery. But now it's been more than a couple days and I'm starting to get real worried! I'll probably start taking B12, hopefully that helps.
Hi. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out on June 2 of this year, and I continue to have altered sensation (semi-numbness) in the lower right hand part of my lip, chin, and tip of my tongue in that area. I have seen my oral surgeon twice after the surgery and after doing touch tests with a toothpick, he believes the feeling will come back, but he does not know when. Initially, I experienced considerable tingling but now that is mostly gone. Is my oral surgeon doing the right things and is there anything else I can do? When can I expect to recover from this? Thank you.

Nish
Please help!!! Any positive stories would help out greatly!

I'm a 32 year old male. Had 4 wisdom teeth removed on 8/3/2012 + an impacted/infected molar on bottom right.

Day 1 post op (day of surgery): slept mostly after surgery (8am)  but woke up later in the afternoon  and noticed the left side of chin/lip from corner of mouth to center of chin/lip was numb. This was different than the other side that was no longer feeling the anesthesia.

Day 2: No pain. The left side of chin and lip from the corner to the center of the jaw is STILL numb. My extraction sites are a bit sore but no real pain to speak of. JUST THE NUMBNESS and now my teeth feel like they are being squeezed together but only on the left bottom toward the front.

Day 3: Still no real pain but the numbness is getting me very very worried :( and the squeezed teeth feeling is still there. I have been noticing an itch every now and then but cant feel anything when I try to scratch it. Also, a tingle or crawling sensation every so often too. Is this a good or bad sign??

I've read almost every post on here and some else where and am quite worried! Alarmed, panicked, scared, worried is more like it.

I will be posting on here with updates so others can gain from this, too. Any stories would be welcome!! ...especially the positive ones. HAS ANYONE HAD COMPLETE RECOVERY???
Hi...

I am also hoping others can share their experiences, too. I had surgery on two lower impacted wisdom teeth. Both were taken out on June 13th. Intially, I had bruises on both sides of my face. The bruises subsided within 5 days. However, I never expected the numbness to remain. My right side was never numb but my left lower lip and left side of the face up to the lower left chin has this numbness. Very rubbery feeling. The lower left gum are very bruised on the inside of the lip and my lower left teeth are  squeezed so tight that I feel I have to shake them to loosen them.Took neurobion (vitamin B1, B6, B12)as recommended by surgeon. The numbness has improved a little but the teeth are still so squeezed that it is making me frustrated.  Had reviews twice by the surgeon and he tells me that it will take me 6 months to recover. He reminded me that he had told me that one of my impacted tooth was near to a nerve and there was a risk.

I am praying that my situation is not permanent. ...
Ann252

With the amount of recovery that you have seen, do you think you will recover completely? Like you I am praying that this goes away. I have been very depressed and scared over the thought of this being permanent and all that that means.

OMG! I feel your pain!!! I've gotten my bottom right wisdom tooth extracted 6 days ago. I was in excruciating pain for 2 & a half weeks before that! My oral surgeon prescribed me Vicodin extra strength which i thank GOD for because it really helps. I dont need it as much any more maybe once a day because of my numbness/burning on my bottom lip & chin when it becomes unbearable. It takes the edge off a lot. It is really irritating & I want it to stop!! It is not as bad as it was but its still a pain in the ***!! My numbness started before my wisdom tooth was removed so after surfing the net i was sure it was going to be permanent but i feel like its making progress. The only other relief i can offer is a hot rag/washcloth placed on the problem area its temporary but it helps alot. another thing does anyone else feel a crawly feeling on there chin from time to time its creepy and uncomfortable!
Juicy

I have the creepy crawling feeling every now and then. From what I have read on here an other sites, mostly blogs and not from professionals, that these feelings are good. One site said that burning is bad but another said sensation was good... not sure what to believe or trust. Be sure to keep posting on here since there are obviously others that can benefit from the progress. Did you go to a surgeon or a dentist? (just curious)
to add to the above; I am on day 4 after surgery
My bad... didn't see the part you said surgeon.
Hi Jay,

My numbness did improve after I took neurobion. Like others, I had the creepy crawling feeling along the numbed area. It's been 1.5 months. I understand from what I read of others' experiences here, I may have to wait longer. During my initial numbness, I couldn't feel a thing on the area that was numbed. After two weeks with the neurobion, the area became more softer/rubbery. So, it did improve and my surgeon told me that it was a good sign. However, he said I had to wait longer for recovery.

I hope above helps. If I should recover fully, I will come back and post here to let you now. Till then, here's wishing you speedy recovery, too!
Thanks ann252, I appreciate you sharing your experience with this. God, I hope this goes away. It scares me that this horrible experience will last even longer.

I just found out today that I have nerve damage and is a horrible feeling I talk soo wired that people make fun of me:(
That is horrible that people are making fun of you. How long ago was your surgery/nerve damage?
I had my wisdom teeth removed 20 yrs ago, my lower right side is still numb, and most likely this contribute to me getting bell's palsy on the right side of my face. (Facial paralysis, caused by nerve damage) I am sorry to say that the numbness might never go away, just try to prevent further damage, ask a neurologist.
Lulise

My heart goes out for you and I'm so sorry that you have been dealing with what you described.

Question; So, are you saying that you first had feeling numbness that turned into muscle paralysis? Can you please describe how you first experienced what you are going through? Was it just numb at first... did it get better then worse... was is muscle paralysis or???
Thanks for ur concern, I do not have the facial paralysis anymore, thank God, but it did last over 2 months and it is the worst thing someone can go through. Mydoctor said because I had so much nerve damage with the wisdow tooth extraction already, it was easy for my nerve to give out completely, that along with stress that I was going through. One day I woke up and could not move the right side of my face. I had physical therapy and after 2 months 10 days I started to smile normal. Its been years since the paralysis and I can say that I have not fully recovered from it,it is not noticable, but I feel it, and by the way half of my tongue and gums are still numb. That has never gotton better. I've learned to live with it, but no way I could live with 1/2 of my face paralysed. People look @ u like u r a freak. That is why I wanted to share my experience, hopefully this does not happen to anyone that has had nerve damage due to an extraction.
Can you speak freely and quickly?
I had all four wisdom teeth removed today, my bottom right was very close to the nerve and they knew this. They said they would do everything they could to make sure it's okay. Well the ENTIRE left side of my face from my cheek bones down to my jaw line is COMPLETELY numb. And the left side of my lip and chin. This doesn't feel like novocaine numb. I can't feel anything even around my ear. I'm totally freaking out,  will this ever go away? I'd be devastated completely
Breckn

How long ago was your surgery?
There is good news, I have been numb for 2 weeks and am now seeing slight improvement. My Dr. had to give me corticosteroids to bring down swelling and am now feeling tingling and what not. Still not even close to how it was but there is improvement. We feel your pain and share your concern. I think the reason why there are not more stories of "I'm all better" is because it takes time for the nerve to heal and when it does get better people have it out of their mind and just never come back to post the story. I fully intend to post regularly on here with updates to give peace of mind for others going through this.
Keep a journal of the days and how you feel. Also, note any sensation like burning or tingling or creepy crawling and the frequency. This helps! More for you to keep track and be conscious of positive changes! This will get better!

Ask you Surgeon what he thinks and if there was any noticeable contact with the nerve. Do this sooner than later because he may not recall exactly the longer you wait.

Post here with updates and god speed :)
Yes I speak normal, and most people can't tell I had the paralysis unless I tell them, then u can notice some differences. If I laugh too hard the right side of my lips won't go up as far as the left. My right eye seems slightly smaller than my left ( again, if u look closely). But inside I know I'm not 100% recovered, and there is days when its depressing, and there is days when I forget that I'm still partially numb, and partially paralized.
I removed all 4 wisdom teeth April 2012 and notices I had hug swelling on my lower right jaw.

I honestly didn't realize my face was number then usual until about 2 months after the surgery, so I had assumed it was something totally more severe ...bell's palsy and started taking nerve treatment:(

Today I went to the dentist to get some cavities taken care of and noted the dentist of my.problem and just to knock it out the water, I had asked him if it could effect my face... he tapped my face with a cotton. I have severe nerve damage where at some points my whole right side just falls asleep-

Advise:
Go see you''re doctor and explain the dental surgery.

See a neurologist to see how bad the nerves are.

Do facial physio  

Take the prescription pills

Good luck
did you ever gt the feeling back from the wisdom tooth removal thank you
fraim735
did the feeling ever come back and how old are you- i am going to be 46 and have to have my bottom wisdom teeth taken out should i suffer with the pain
i had a tooth extraction early this morning. .i had numbness at my lower lips and chin. .i have this feeling that it wasn't normal. .i search in the internet to know the cause or is it normal. .then i fount out that it is because the interior alveolar nerve was it. .and the numbness may take three to six mos. .in rare cases, it is permanent. .I cried and Asking GOD to help me. .it is like that anytime i wud collapse. .but thank God! just for a matter of 3 minutes. .the numb disappear!. .i really love God!
This sadness my heart :(  its going on 3 year since I had my wisdom removed.  I to suffer with lower lip numbness/gums.  Now I'm getting lock jaw.  I very self conscious about the way I talk and also feel.  I pray someday someone could repair this problem.  If I would have known this was going to happen to me.  I would have chosen to live with bitting my check verses this.  Of the course the Dentist got paid very well.
Hey All,  I had 3 wisdom teeth taken out 6 days ago and I have severe numbness in my lower lip and chin and I am starting to panic that it will be permanent.  I went back to the dentist and he said to give it 6 weeks.  I was reading the stories posted above and wondering did anyone recover or are people continuing to have issues? Thanks

Gosh, I just wanted to do a little research on wisdom teeth removal and now I am terrified! I feel so terribly awful for all of you that have to deal with the horrible misfortune of parasthesia or worse. I would be heartbroken if kissing the person I love felt anything less than amazing as it does right now.

I am about to turn 20 and have one wisdom tooth that is completely on its side. I have had little to no trouble with any of them though. The only trouble is that some of them have cavaties and my dentist is insisting that I might as well just take them all out.

So here is my dilemma. I'd rather just have them taken out and hope for the best while I am young because I don't want something to happen when I am older and possibly at higher risk for nerve damage or complications. Is that even right? Does age really make that much of a difference? How old were all of you when you had the procedure done? The other part of my dilemma is that if there is a good risk of damaging any nerves, I would rather just keep them in and fill the cavaties and hope for the best since they arent giving me any trouble otherwise, rather than suffering numbness of the tongue, lips, chin, jaw, or anywhere for more than a week.

Please just let me know. I am so scared and don't know which decision to make.
Hey, I was just checking on what I can find about this and now am more freaked out.
I had an appointment with my dentist. He told me it is a slim chance but am very scared to do it. He is saying that it is necessary that I do take out the wisdom teeth but am nervous. Is there anyway I could prevent the nerve damage? It is already  very uncomfortable to live with the teeth as it hurts once in a while and thought I should do it when I am young (19). What do you recommend? #dilemma
I have the same experience, 3 months ago got all 4 wisdom teeth taken out.  Didn't think there was going to be any problems but I was wrong!

The initial numbness was there when I woke up.  I ended up being in pain so much that weeks later I could not open my mouth to eat a hard boiled egg.  Went back in, they said there was something in my root canal, probably a bone fragment.  Went back in for surgery (this was my lower left which was impacted) and they removed it.

2 months later, my bottom lip is still very numb.  At times it feels like braces are pushing my bottom front teeth together.  My chin has itched so bad that I rubbed skin off of it using a wet washcloth.  It is bad.  I hate it!
Hi All, had bottom wisdom tooth out on Nov 19 '12 and am now just starting to recover from numbness in one side of bottom teeth, chin and lip. Lip is still very numb. I had no idea of any of these effects. Planned to go straight back to work next day, instead had a week off and pain-killers for over a month. My point is to give some of you hope regarding the recovery process if you are just going through this awful time which can be quite over-whelming and depressing. It is certainly quite a shock. No support from the dentist either who just looked at me quizzically when I went back after ten days. Sheesh. Stay hopeful, it will heal. I've been taking a spray Vit B12, but to be honest I'm not certain it really makes a difference.
I just wanted to give everyone here some hope.  I had two wisdom teeth out on my left side about three months ago and after the standard pain and bleeding stopped in the first few days, the front of my face from lip to chin was still numb, my front four bottom teeth felt like they had braces on them and the bottom tooth next to the extraction was in terrible pain to the point where I could not close my mouth.  This continued for well almost two months and then about two weeks ago I started getting pins and needles on my bottom lip which slowly spread to the whole area of my face which was numb and now the feeling is almost completely back.  In addition, the pain in the front four teeth and next to the extraction went from terrible to almost non-existent over a matter of a couple of days last week with almost no warning.  I just wanted to let you those of you know who have had a recent extraction and were panicking that it is not unusual and there seems to be a good chance everything will get back to normal eventually.
Thank you so much for your reply
I also had my wisdom teeth removed.
The numbness however happened a few days after the removal.
It started with a tingling feeling and then it went numb at times. No painful feeling yet. Itchy at times and my teeth feels weird
This is the end of the first week after the operation and I feel it has getting a bit worse day by day
I started taking the vitamin b yesterday
Also my doc prescribed strong antibiotic called cortancyl

Hope that willremedy the situation. I'm a
Yikes, Im wishing I hadn't stumbled upon this site! Feel so sorry for you guys. I'm due to have my lower wisdom teeth out in 7 weeks (both impacted) and was told by the dentist that my nerves look like they are very close to the roots and she warned me that I may have permanantly numb lips as a result of the op (having it done under ga) Hence why Im doing a bit of re search and not likin what Im seeing...seriously thinking about not going throug with it. She told me that the impacted teeth are starting to decay though and that the infections may get worse. So confused!
Im a 38 year old mum of 2, and my job entails speaking to customers face to face so Im really worried about my face being lop-sided etc! How long did you need to take off work to recover? (my employer isnt keen on me taking more than a few days but reading through some of the comments on here, Im thinking its going to be longer than that)
Should I go ahead or not?.....
thanks for your story . my daughter just has 4 teeth removed 2 days ago and has numbness in chin and bottom lip. she also has slight itchiness. what u wrote gives me a little hope. thank you. Hope you are feeling good.
Hello, I just read your post and yes its a difficult decision but the consequences of not having it done can be worse, repeat infections can lead to osteoporosis in the jaw and bone infections can be very difficult to remedy.  I also had repeat infections, for 5 years!  I got my top 2 out in the chair but had my lower two out under general anaesthetic.  My anaeasthetic was amazing, no nausea, absolutely no pain.  Like many other posts I too have lower chin/lip numbness on the right only and have been feeling like theres popping candy in my gums and lip for the last 3 weeks. To be really clear the nerves involved in these teeth are for sensation only, not movement, so you won't have a droop!  I know that nerves take weeks/months or even years to repair themselves and if your surgeon is experienced they won't go near the nerve.  I was told by my surgeon that he saw the nerve and left it alone, needed to leave the root of the tooth in place.  Its very uncomfortable but not going to let it get me down.  I'm keeping my mouth really clean, lots of salt water mouth washes etc and needed antibiotics straight after as my teeth were infected on removal.  I'm going to see my surgeon this week so fingers crossed I don't have a 'dry socket'and all is healing as it should.
Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
I had a third molar extracted two months ago. It was really close to nerve and had a large cyst around it. I went from oral surgeon to oral surgeon but nobody wanted to do it. Finally, I found an expert who told me about the risks but accepted the case. I paid him a lot of money too ($5K and the insurance covered about $3K). I had almost complete numbness after the surgery on my chin and my front teeth felt really weird. I was pretty depressed, although the doctor told me that over time things will improve. Well, it turns out he was right. On my chin I have 100% sensation back and my front teeth have probably 2% odd feeling left. Doesn't bother me at all. So for all of you out there scared and depressed: there is hope! You just need to be patient. I know it is hard but it does pay off.
I had my 2nd molar out at the beginning of Feb 2013, my dentist never discussed the possibility of paraesthesia with me, and once he extracted my tooth he did comment on how long my root was.  After 48 hours and no feeling in my left lip and chin and my lower teeth, I contacted the dentist and he advised that in may take up to 6 months for it to fully heal. I got an x-ray and you could see how close my root actually was to the nerve, I started taking vitamin B and vitamins for bones…not sure if this helped but anything was worth a shot, some days it was really bad and felt so heavy. I always had some slight tingling and on week 5 I began to feel the bottom of my chin, from then, as the weeks passed the feeling started to work its way up my chin and finally to my lips and teeth. Today, 16 weeks later, it is not 100% but I it’s getting there, I’d say its 95% back to normal  so there is hope, after the scare I vowed of sugar and haven’t looked back, I do not want to get another bottom tooth out….ever, even if it did come good in the end!!!
Good luck all out there with this,I really hope you all get back to normal
I had a third molar extraction a year and a half ago and it took about 4 months to regain any sensation other than complete numbness in my lip, chin and front teeth.  Odd that it doesn't hurt at the extraction site, but where the inferior alveolar nerve leaves the teeth line and enters the chin.  After I started to regain sensation the pain was horrendous.  I can't explain how this has affected my life.  I can be really depressed about at times and people have a hard time understanding what I am going through.  I am seeing a pain management specialist who is providing me lyrica and norco to deal with the pain.  It helps, but certainly doesn't get rid of the pain.  It just allows me to forget about it for a while.  If anyone would like to discuss this more please post and I can get you my email address.  Sometimes it is nice to pop on here to see that I am not the only person in the world who is dealing with this menace.  I would have never thought this could happen with a tooth extraction.  Also, Cannabis works really well for my pain, but my doctor has said that if I continue to use they will not continue to prescribe my other medicine.  I completely understand, but it did help almost more than the others.  
A word of encouragement.  After removal of four teeth and one that was coming in kind of 'sideways' and quite impacted, my son had total numbness of half of his tongue. The Dr said the 'average' is 12 weeks to slowly regain some feeling based on the test he did on it..  8 weeks in I"m happy to say he is 'starting' to feel something.  It was so numb that he didn't even feel a surgical needle poking him but now he can kind of feel it if we touch it with a toothpick.  We were SO horrified and discouraged when this happened, because the dr. kind of brushes it off as 'well thats a risk'...just be patient...but when it happens to you and you don't expect it, it is totally scary and awful.  My hope and prayer is he will regain all feeling as I hope and pray the same for all of you.  When they say be patient, that is really all you can do.  We were so relieved when he started feeling something again, so hang in there!
I realise you posted yeaaars ago but if you receive my comment please reply! Anybody! Just (about 3 days ago) had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed and its awful. They had to drill into the bone to get one and the surgeon said that one of them was especially difficult to remove. Ever since, I've not been able to feel the lower left side of my lips and half of my chin and ITS HORRIBLE! After reading some of these comments and seeing that there could be a possibility of it LASTING FOREVER I am terrified! Please can somebody reassure me that this extreme pain and numbness will go down. I know its only been days but the surgeon said the numbness would only take a day to go! If anybody reads this BEFORE getting there wisdom teeth removed- DO NOT GET ALL 4 DONE AT ONCE. ITS AGONY. WAY TOO MUCH PAIN.
Hi, I'm Amy, 16, and have just read your post (as well as the millions of others) and I'm now terrified! Had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed the other day and I experienced what you had- numbness in my lower lips and chin which isn't going away! I had it done less than a week ago but reading all these comments makes me want to cry! I know you commented years ago but PLEASE tell me that it all got better?! Thanks
thank you for posting this! Reassuring to have hope after all these sad and depressing comments that are making me terrified!!!
My 17 year old daughter just had 4 wisdom teeth removed 11 days ago and every since her lower lip and chin are both completely numb.  She is in a band and is now thinking about quitting her favorite instrument.  Can you tell me how you are doing now?  Do you have tingling/itching sensations?
I have a daughter who is now in the same situation; numbed chin and lower lip after 4 wisdom teeth extracted.  I am wondering how your daughter is at this point.  If she has recovered, how long it took her or how long it took her before she started regaining her feeling.  Thanks for your help.
I had root canal surgery last week and have numbness of my left jaw and lip. Please don't be permanent.
I had one wisdom tooth taken out eight days ago. The first five days, the right side of my chin and lower lip were completely numb, except for maybe a twitch in my lip. The doctor said that I should start feeling some tingling or like the area has gone to sleep and that is a good thing. I did some research online and found that a quick burst of steroid treatment can help reduce inflammation quicker which helps the nerves. I forwarded the article to my dentist and he called in a prescription for me. Since starting the steroids, I have begun to have a tingling feeling in my lip and chin so I am hopeful that is a sign of healing. I am trying to remember that there are a lot worse things that people have to endure in life, but of course when it happens to you it is difficult. The fear that this will be permanent could be overwhelming if I was to dwell on it. Just trying to work on focusing on the other important things in life while being patient for this to heal. I am traveling to Africa with my family in three weeks, and I am praying this will be better and healed before we leave, but we will have to see what God's plan is for me. So sorry for any of you going through this tough situation.  I will try to update to let you all know how it goes.
For anyone interested, this is the article I found that recommended the use of corticosteroids for inflammation. The article is about numbness after dental implant surgery, but I felt it could apply for numbness after wisdom tooth removal as well.

http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/news/mandibular-nerve-neurosensory-impairment-following-dental-implant-surgery-management-and-protocol/1001604108/

I still have numbness tingling and a little bit pain under my teeth on the right side today.
Still same situation. I am going to get the tooth pulled next week. Maybe that will help.
I forgot to mention that I was also having trouble opening my mouth. I could barely fit one finger in my mouth a week ago. Tonight, though it feels like it is really stretching, I can open my mouth to three fingerwidths! Such a relief, as I was having trouble eating and have lost five pounds this week because of it. I am not noticing my numbness as much, but it is definitely still there. I don't know if that means it is getting a little better or if I am just getting used to it or both. Just wanted to update from two days ago.
Amy, How is your pain and numbness? Any progress? I hope so!
Tomorrow will be three weeks since my wisdom tooth removal. My pain is pretty much gone, but the numbness remains. I started noticing that the tingling and bubbling sensations were less, but I don't think that is a good thing. I am now trying essential oils from Young Living essential oils to see if they will help. When I put the oils on my jaw and a bit in the back of my mouth, I notice that my chin begins tingling a lot more. Since I have heard that tingling is a sign of healing, I am hoping this is a good sign. I leave for Africa in one week! Hopefully I will at least be able to notice some significant improvement before we leave to keep my hopes up for a full recovery! :)
4 wisdom teeth removed last week. mouth is still a little soar, but most of the pain is gone. However, I still have no feeling in the left side of my lower lip and the left side of my chin. i was a 20 yr old healthy young man. i am now a freak. no one will ever love me. quite a price to pay for an unnecessary procedure. I should have never listened to my mother, who encouraged me to have the teeth removed. if the numbness is permanent, i will kill myself. james rasmussen is the oral surgeon that did this to me. he practices in manasas, va.
I've done a lot of reading and research on this in the last three weeks, and I do believe if you are patient that the feeling in your chin and lip will return. Please don't give up hope! Mine has been numb for three weeks, but little by little, I am noticing improvements. The area that is numb seems to be getting a tiny bit smaller. I know it's difficult, but don't give up! If you close your eyes, can you feel if anyone touches your chin at all or is it completely numb?
my daughter, 23 yrs old, had a lower, right side wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks ago by a dentist at the Dove Dental Clinic in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. Still, today, the entire right side of her tongue is numb, her lip is numb, she has terrible pain in her teeth and gums, sensitivity to cold/hot, has trouble speaking and pronounciating her words properly now because of numbness and she drooles uncontrolably now. She is in college to become a professional and is so very, very embarrased at the comments people make as they notice her speach being off and she is very concerned how this numbness issue is going to affect, adversely affect her career now. I understand your concerns too and your worries, having had to see my daughter suffering much as you are.  Sincerely my heart goes out to you. With respect....Carol (***@****)
It's really unfortunate that so many of you don't seem to have been made aware of the risks involved with your wisdom teeth removal. I'm sorry you're having a bad time of it. When I was made aware I was high risk, my molars were horizontal and in the canal, I was sent to a local maxillofacial surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

Paresthesia can happen when the nerve is plucked, vibrated or otherwise affected in the surgery. I got only a mild version that started clearing up the same day. I was told that the intensity and healing process will vary based on the initial injury, age and overall health. The younger you are the "quicker" it will heal. As you get older, nervous tissue which is already slow to heal will take longer and longer. Add to that poor diet or other health issues (especially in the same are you run the risk of taking years and years to heal if it ever does). I was made aware up front that paresthesia can be permanent in some cases.  I hope in the time since this many of you have found relief, and that anyone reading this before their procedure makes sure they go to the best possible surgeon so they minimize their risks.
it's been a little over a month since my last post. I think the region of my lip and chin that was numb was getting smaller gradually, but it was difficult to be sure. sometimes i would wake up and be sure i could feel my lip again, only to realize later nothing had changed. i good test was shaving. i couldn't feel the blade on my chin and had to buy an electric razor. but anyways, my new doctor gave me some steroids recently, and the problem has disappeared. i am back to normal. thanks for your concern. Looking back, i was being dramatic. However, I wish my doctor would emphasized these side effects more, and been more sympathetic after the fact (instead of just saying "well, you signed the consent form"). And none of my friends took the problem seriously either, which was upsetting.
Thank you for the update! I am so glad to hear that you are better! Always good to hear that someone has healed from this, giving the rest of us a little hope. It has been 10 weeks and the feeling in my chin is still not normal. I too tried a short course of steroids, and it seemed to help slightly. I am not completely numb anymore, and can detect cold and heat. But it is still very uncomfortable most of the time. I look forward to the day that I can report that I am back to normal as well. You are right though. Doctors don't seem to emphasize, and friends/family don't really get it.
I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled 5 to 6 years ago- they had to cut deeply into my bottom left tooth for its extraction.  They ended up cutting a nerve at the site and to the present day, the bottom left half of my lip and chin are still in the numb/tingling phase for nerve awakening. The nerve damage- I am almost positive of- is what caused the development of a condition known as burning mouth syndrome.  So my tongue is hypersensitive to acidic, hot, or spicy foods- which causes my tongue to burn for long periods of time.  It's annoying and painful but you learn how to cope with your burdens.  I slur a little at times but I managed to learn how to drink liquids without it leaking out the corner of my mouth.  

I don't think at any point I felt  that it mattered whether or not I lost feeling in a side of my mouth, or that I have to deal with frequent headaches and eating pain- many people in this modern age are brought up to rely on ailments the moment they experience discomfort .  Pain is a very normal part of life and we should be learning how to mentally, and medically, cope with our burdens and find long term relief.
Hello, I have read alot of these comments. I am 28, and the surgeon told me today that I would need to get all 4 wisdom teeht taken out, and there's a 50% chance that one side can impact and cause numbess to my chin, lip area. He basically mentioned this to me. Pretty much stating that this is a clear likelyhood.. So it's either become numb in the face, or have the impact cause more teeth to fall out eventually.

Confused to say the least and upsetting. I see some of you had no knowledge and feel this issue, and he basically stated this to me that it's a good chance. So I feel bad now. Going for second opinion this week.
Is it really worth the risk?

I have 4 wisdom teeth, and I am 24 years old. I know I need them removed because my bottom two are "boney" impacted.. however my doctor advised me that I have a 2% chance of permanent numbness in my chin and lip... I am contemplating if I even want to go through with this surgery now..

I occasionally have some pain but its very minor, I personally don't care to have them removed and if they mess up my teeth I'd rather just get braces again later on down the road if need be.. and as far as infections go, I'd rather have the infection and be on antibiotics then have some of the symptoms that most of you guys were describing above..

I'm at a fork in the road on what to do..

any suggestions, recommendations or opinions??..
Its been 9 days since I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed and I have almost no feeling on the center and left side of my chin, lower lip, and gums. I have constant tingles and an uncomfortable feeling of pressure, but can not feel pain and an extremely small amount of pressure when I press against the area. I hope it gets better soon rather than taking months, years, or the dreaded never.

They warned me there was a chance of this happening and being permanent very casually. I was alarmed and asked for percentages. The said a 20 percent chance of numbness and 1 to 2 percent chance of permanence. I asked if there were any alternatives, and they said no and that I should have the tooth removed, because it could cause problems later. I felt stuck and decided to go with the doctors recommendation of having it removed.

I went in today for a follow up, the surgeon said he is optimistic, but their is always a chance of permanence. I strongly considered not having the high risk tooth removed, and now I wish I had waited.
15 days post surgery
I'm beside myself with pain, tingles and numbness.
If I had of known I would not have gone through with the surgery either.
I believe I wrote some in this section sometime before. For those of you suffer from traumatic nerve injuries, please read following writings, and I am not going to rewrite again.
Firstly, third molar surgery is the most common cause of inferior alveolar nerve and lingual nerve injuries. Clinical radio graphic exam and/or cone beam CT do provide significant information of risk. If highly risky, surgeons may inform you in advance or perform coronoectomy.the worst scenario of not removing impacted third molar is probably loss of second molar due to caries or periodontitis. Other complications are rarely associated with impacted third molar.
Secondly, if implant or other dental treatment is the cause, early removal of implant or offending tooth is indicated.
Thirdly, if symptoms persist more than 3 months, permanent dysesthesia, anesthesia, or pain is a likely event.
Fourthly, early intervention is helpful for nerves healing.nutritional supplements, such as Vitamin B1, B6, B12, folic acid, omega3fatty acid( fish oil)  are helpful. Pharmacologic intervention, such as tricyclics antidepressant ( amitriptyline, nortriptyline), anticonvulsants( gabapentin, pregabalin),
ssri( duolexitine), or minocyline, either mono therapy or poly therapy are helpful nerve healing. Pharmacologic management require prescriptions from neurologist or Orofacial pain specialist.
good luck
Hi all, well it has been 9 days since I had 4 wisdom teeth out at age 41. Like many I was told there was a chance of nerve damage but no where along the process was it mentioned that this could mean constant numbness and burning. Unfortunately I have suffered bruising to the lingual nerve and for the past 9 days have a numb,burning, tingling tongue. As everyone else states was told it will go in time but again my oral surgeon as not said anything it being permenant which now reading could be the case. I still have some swelling and jaw pain but this gets better each day. Like some others I sometimes feel some very slight improvement but don't know if it is me getting use to it or just being hopeful. Hate having to constantly take pain killers and to be honest they don't really seem to help much with nerve damage only the jaw pain which is only bad when I wake up, most likely from laying on it overnight. Sleeping is a nightmare as my tongue just has this ongoing mild burning/tingling and I tend to just focus on it when I lay down. I could not imagine having this for life. If I had been told that an outcome of wisdom teeth removal could be permanent burning/tingling I would have cancelled then and there.funny thing is two days before the surgery I was fit as an ox and was going to cancel but got sidetracked. Feeling very stupid now. Anyways will keep updating and hope for the best. I don't believe a word my oral surgeon says so online has been helpful, just wish I had done the research beforehand.
You getting any better ?
Did it get better ?
Day 10 @ the burning tongue is driving me crazy..no relief with painkillers...went to doctors and they just prescribed me more meds that haven,t helped....I still am grieving and doing the " why did this happen to me, why did I ever get my wisdom teeth out as I feel I didn't have too " ...I'm so mad at my dentist who said I should. I'm 41 and only had 2 infections from my wisdom teeth my whole life and would get over then in about 3 days, now I have constant pain which could be for months, years even life. I'm day 10 and am suicidal, how the hell will I make a month. Anyone know of good online supports groups ? I,m back at work tonight..luckily me works in a call centre so I,m sure my saintity and tongue will be red raw by the end of my shift. I need help but I don't think there is much to do but just wait....
Got all four wisdom teeth taken out my sophomore year of high school... I am now a freshman in college and I have not gained full feeling back in my mouth yet. Apparently my mom wisdom tooth grew in sideways on my lower right side and was resting underneath my tongue nerve. APPARENTLY there was no nerve damage, but it's been over 3 years and some days I have the tingling feelings all over my mouth and today is one of those days. No fun. I feel all of your pain. I was a musician in high school, I played saxophone and I was on a fast track to success. That dream went out the window very quickly.
Glad to hear ack that for you some days seem better than others..gives me some hope that I may get some straight no pain days sometime..sorry to hear though u are still going through tis burning tingling hell.... So it is day 12 and still numb as on right side of tongue and that always constant burn...I c the oral surgeon tomorrow but I know he ain't going to help much and will just it will take time...feeling low and still thinking why the hell did I listen to the dentist and get my wisdom teeth out as I didn't need too....love to know of any success stories as all seems a bit doom and gloom at the moment.                
Day 13...saw oral surgeon today and said what everyone else says....it takes time...i am starting to wonder reading more horror stories than good that any nerve bruising or stretch of the nerve has permenant outcomes...has anyone ever actually truly recovered fro nerve damage. It seems a bit bleak. I have started processing this all more healthily in my mind for the sake of my mental health...it hurts, it is annoying and those that have it know how such a constant but small pain grinds at u...not a moment goes by where I don't feel the burn and tingles but the severity of the burn is going up and down..oral surgeon said tingles/burn was good but I have read about those that these sensations have never gone and he did this too me so what else is he going to say...all I can do now is take it day by day and try to remain mentally well...I am luckily as I have a partner, so don't have to go through this alone but no one truly knows the extent of constant pain unless u have it so I try not to unload all the time as it becomes the centre of discussion too much.  I am going to get on with things from here and prob will stop writing here for a while but will visit, read posts and provided up date in say 2 weeks..oh..one more thing..oral surgeon gave me steroids and Tegretol..I will take the one course of steroids as still have some very minor swelling and pain on the right jaw but the Tergretol I'm not sure of...does it really help with tongue pain from lingual damage and it has some very nasty side effects? Anyone tried this ?
I've just had a wisdom tooth taken out and my lower jaw was numbed for it...I now am completely numb along my lower jaw but it's also spread to my ear and up towards my temple and along my eye, I'm wondering is this normal or has a nerve been affected? Would really appreciate some advice on this.
MY REG DENTIST TOOK OUT MY BOTTOM RIGHT WISDOM TOOTH AND I HAVE BEEN NUMB FOR ALMOST 2 WEEKS, i WAS ALSO WIDE AWAKE FOR IT. i HOWEVER DID NOT SIGN ANY WAVER OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER, I HAD NO IDEA THIS COULD HAPPEN?? WHAT DO I DO?
I have the same thing sarah... 2 years after and the right side of my lip/chin is numb, as well as part of my tongue.  You are not alone!! As hard as it is, lets work hard to find a solution.  Doctors are wrong about MANY things; I refuse to accept that this is permanent, and I believe there is a solution out there somewhere.