Paresthesia/Facial Numbness after Wisdom Teeth Removal
I had my Wisdom Teeth taken out 2 weeks ago...ever since then my right lip and chin have been completely numb...I went back to the Oral Surgeon who wants to wait a month to see what happens, I have a follow up appointment in November right before Thanksgiving.  Is there anything I can do to help?  Based on common experience, how long does nerve damage "usually" take to heal?  I feel like I am in the dark...I cannot stand it...I am getting married next year and want to be able to kiss my husband!  Also, what is the % chance that is could be permanent?

Thank you in advance for all answers, I am so scared!
I forgot to mention that I was also having trouble opening my mouth. I could barely fit one finger in my mouth a week ago. Tonight, though it feels like it is really stretching, I can open my mouth to three fingerwidths! Such a relief, as I was having trouble eating and have lost five pounds this week because of it. I am not noticing my numbness as much, but it is definitely still there. I don't know if that means it is getting a little better or if I am just getting used to it or both. Just wanted to update from two days ago.
Amy, How is your pain and numbness? Any progress? I hope so!
Tomorrow will be three weeks since my wisdom tooth removal. My pain is pretty much gone, but the numbness remains. I started noticing that the tingling and bubbling sensations were less, but I don't think that is a good thing. I am now trying essential oils from Young Living essential oils to see if they will help. When I put the oils on my jaw and a bit in the back of my mouth, I notice that my chin begins tingling a lot more. Since I have heard that tingling is a sign of healing, I am hoping this is a good sign. I leave for Africa in one week! Hopefully I will at least be able to notice some significant improvement before we leave to keep my hopes up for a full recovery! :)
4 wisdom teeth removed last week. mouth is still a little soar, but most of the pain is gone. However, I still have no feeling in the left side of my lower lip and the left side of my chin. i was a 20 yr old healthy young man. i am now a freak. no one will ever love me. quite a price to pay for an unnecessary procedure. I should have never listened to my mother, who encouraged me to have the teeth removed. if the numbness is permanent, i will kill myself. james rasmussen is the oral surgeon that did this to me. he practices in manasas, va.
Hi did your feeling ever come back in lip/chin?
I've done a lot of reading and research on this in the last three weeks, and I do believe if you are patient that the feeling in your chin and lip will return. Please don't give up hope! Mine has been numb for three weeks, but little by little, I am noticing improvements. The area that is numb seems to be getting a tiny bit smaller. I know it's difficult, but don't give up! If you close your eyes, can you feel if anyone touches your chin at all or is it completely numb?
my daughter, 23 yrs old, had a lower, right side wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks ago by a dentist at the Dove Dental Clinic in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. Still, today, the entire right side of her tongue is numb, her lip is numb, she has terrible pain in her teeth and gums, sensitivity to cold/hot, has trouble speaking and pronounciating her words properly now because of numbness and she drooles uncontrolably now. She is in college to become a professional and is so very, very embarrased at the comments people make as they notice her speach being off and she is very concerned how this numbness issue is going to affect, adversely affect her career now. I understand your concerns too and your worries, having had to see my daughter suffering much as you are.  Sincerely my heart goes out to you. With respect....Carol (***@****)
It's really unfortunate that so many of you don't seem to have been made aware of the risks involved with your wisdom teeth removal. I'm sorry you're having a bad time of it. When I was made aware I was high risk, my molars were horizontal and in the canal, I was sent to a local maxillofacial surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

Paresthesia can happen when the nerve is plucked, vibrated or otherwise affected in the surgery. I got only a mild version that started clearing up the same day. I was told that the intensity and healing process will vary based on the initial injury, age and overall health. The younger you are the "quicker" it will heal. As you get older, nervous tissue which is already slow to heal will take longer and longer. Add to that poor diet or other health issues (especially in the same are you run the risk of taking years and years to heal if it ever does). I was made aware up front that paresthesia can be permanent in some cases.  I hope in the time since this many of you have found relief, and that anyone reading this before their procedure makes sure they go to the best possible surgeon so they minimize their risks.
it's been a little over a month since my last post. I think the region of my lip and chin that was numb was getting smaller gradually, but it was difficult to be sure. sometimes i would wake up and be sure i could feel my lip again, only to realize later nothing had changed. i good test was shaving. i couldn't feel the blade on my chin and had to buy an electric razor. but anyways, my new doctor gave me some steroids recently, and the problem has disappeared. i am back to normal. thanks for your concern. Looking back, i was being dramatic. However, I wish my doctor would emphasized these side effects more, and been more sympathetic after the fact (instead of just saying "well, you signed the consent form"). And none of my friends took the problem seriously either, which was upsetting.
Thank you for the update! I am so glad to hear that you are better! Always good to hear that someone has healed from this, giving the rest of us a little hope. It has been 10 weeks and the feeling in my chin is still not normal. I too tried a short course of steroids, and it seemed to help slightly. I am not completely numb anymore, and can detect cold and heat. But it is still very uncomfortable most of the time. I look forward to the day that I can report that I am back to normal as well. You are right though. Doctors don't seem to emphasize, and friends/family don't really get it.
I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled 5 to 6 years ago- they had to cut deeply into my bottom left tooth for its extraction.  They ended up cutting a nerve at the site and to the present day, the bottom left half of my lip and chin are still in the numb/tingling phase for nerve awakening. The nerve damage- I am almost positive of- is what caused the development of a condition known as burning mouth syndrome.  So my tongue is hypersensitive to acidic, hot, or spicy foods- which causes my tongue to burn for long periods of time.  It's annoying and painful but you learn how to cope with your burdens.  I slur a little at times but I managed to learn how to drink liquids without it leaking out the corner of my mouth.  

I don't think at any point I felt  that it mattered whether or not I lost feeling in a side of my mouth, or that I have to deal with frequent headaches and eating pain- many people in this modern age are brought up to rely on ailments the moment they experience discomfort .  Pain is a very normal part of life and we should be learning how to mentally, and medically, cope with our burdens and find long term relief.
Hello, I have read alot of these comments. I am 28, and the surgeon told me today that I would need to get all 4 wisdom teeht taken out, and there's a 50% chance that one side can impact and cause numbess to my chin, lip area. He basically mentioned this to me. Pretty much stating that this is a clear likelyhood.. So it's either become numb in the face, or have the impact cause more teeth to fall out eventually.

Confused to say the least and upsetting. I see some of you had no knowledge and feel this issue, and he basically stated this to me that it's a good chance. So I feel bad now. Going for second opinion this week.
Is it really worth the risk?

I have 4 wisdom teeth, and I am 24 years old. I know I need them removed because my bottom two are "boney" impacted.. however my doctor advised me that I have a 2% chance of permanent numbness in my chin and lip... I am contemplating if I even want to go through with this surgery now..

I occasionally have some pain but its very minor, I personally don't care to have them removed and if they mess up my teeth I'd rather just get braces again later on down the road if need be.. and as far as infections go, I'd rather have the infection and be on antibiotics then have some of the symptoms that most of you guys were describing above..

I'm at a fork in the road on what to do..

any suggestions, recommendations or opinions??..
Its been 9 days since I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed and I have almost no feeling on the center and left side of my chin, lower lip, and gums. I have constant tingles and an uncomfortable feeling of pressure, but can not feel pain and an extremely small amount of pressure when I press against the area. I hope it gets better soon rather than taking months, years, or the dreaded never.

They warned me there was a chance of this happening and being permanent very casually. I was alarmed and asked for percentages. The said a 20 percent chance of numbness and 1 to 2 percent chance of permanence. I asked if there were any alternatives, and they said no and that I should have the tooth removed, because it could cause problems later. I felt stuck and decided to go with the doctors recommendation of having it removed.

I went in today for a follow up, the surgeon said he is optimistic, but their is always a chance of permanence. I strongly considered not having the high risk tooth removed, and now I wish I had waited.
15 days post surgery
I'm beside myself with pain, tingles and numbness.
If I had of known I would not have gone through with the surgery either.
I believe I wrote some in this section sometime before. For those of you suffer from traumatic nerve injuries, please read following writings, and I am not going to rewrite again.
Firstly, third molar surgery is the most common cause of inferior alveolar nerve and lingual nerve injuries. Clinical radio graphic exam and/or cone beam CT do provide significant information of risk. If highly risky, surgeons may inform you in advance or perform coronoectomy.the worst scenario of not removing impacted third molar is probably loss of second molar due to caries or periodontitis. Other complications are rarely associated with impacted third molar.
Secondly, if implant or other dental treatment is the cause, early removal of implant or offending tooth is indicated.
Thirdly, if symptoms persist more than 3 months, permanent dysesthesia, anesthesia, or pain is a likely event.
Fourthly, early intervention is helpful for nerves healing.nutritional supplements, such as Vitamin B1, B6, B12, folic acid, omega3fatty acid( fish oil)  are helpful. Pharmacologic intervention, such as tricyclics antidepressant ( amitriptyline, nortriptyline), anticonvulsants( gabapentin, pregabalin),
ssri( duolexitine), or minocyline, either mono therapy or poly therapy are helpful nerve healing. Pharmacologic management require prescriptions from neurologist or Orofacial pain specialist.
good luck
Hi all, well it has been 9 days since I had 4 wisdom teeth out at age 41. Like many I was told there was a chance of nerve damage but no where along the process was it mentioned that this could mean constant numbness and burning. Unfortunately I have suffered bruising to the lingual nerve and for the past 9 days have a numb,burning, tingling tongue. As everyone else states was told it will go in time but again my oral surgeon as not said anything it being permenant which now reading could be the case. I still have some swelling and jaw pain but this gets better each day. Like some others I sometimes feel some very slight improvement but don't know if it is me getting use to it or just being hopeful. Hate having to constantly take pain killers and to be honest they don't really seem to help much with nerve damage only the jaw pain which is only bad when I wake up, most likely from laying on it overnight. Sleeping is a nightmare as my tongue just has this ongoing mild burning/tingling and I tend to just focus on it when I lay down. I could not imagine having this for life. If I had been told that an outcome of wisdom teeth removal could be permanent burning/tingling I would have cancelled then and there.funny thing is two days before the surgery I was fit as an ox and was going to cancel but got sidetracked. Feeling very stupid now. Anyways will keep updating and hope for the best. I don't believe a word my oral surgeon says so online has been helpful, just wish I had done the research beforehand.
You getting any better ?
Did it get better ?
Day 10 @ the burning tongue is driving me crazy..no relief with painkillers...went to doctors and they just prescribed me more meds that haven,t helped....I still am grieving and doing the " why did this happen to me, why did I ever get my wisdom teeth out as I feel I didn't have too " ...I'm so mad at my dentist who said I should. I'm 41 and only had 2 infections from my wisdom teeth my whole life and would get over then in about 3 days, now I have constant pain which could be for months, years even life. I'm day 10 and am suicidal, how the hell will I make a month. Anyone know of good online supports groups ? I,m back at work tonight..luckily me works in a call centre so I,m sure my saintity and tongue will be red raw by the end of my shift. I need help but I don't think there is much to do but just wait....
Got all four wisdom teeth taken out my sophomore year of high school... I am now a freshman in college and I have not gained full feeling back in my mouth yet. Apparently my mom wisdom tooth grew in sideways on my lower right side and was resting underneath my tongue nerve. APPARENTLY there was no nerve damage, but it's been over 3 years and some days I have the tingling feelings all over my mouth and today is one of those days. No fun. I feel all of your pain. I was a musician in high school, I played saxophone and I was on a fast track to success. That dream went out the window very quickly.
Glad to hear ack that for you some days seem better than others..gives me some hope that I may get some straight no pain days sometime..sorry to hear though u are still going through tis burning tingling hell.... So it is day 12 and still numb as on right side of tongue and that always constant burn...I c the oral surgeon tomorrow but I know he ain't going to help much and will just it will take time...feeling low and still thinking why the hell did I listen to the dentist and get my wisdom teeth out as I didn't need too....love to know of any success stories as all seems a bit doom and gloom at the moment.                
Day 13...saw oral surgeon today and said what everyone else says....it takes time...i am starting to wonder reading more horror stories than good that any nerve bruising or stretch of the nerve has permenant outcomes...has anyone ever actually truly recovered fro nerve damage. It seems a bit bleak. I have started processing this all more healthily in my mind for the sake of my mental health...it hurts, it is annoying and those that have it know how such a constant but small pain grinds at u...not a moment goes by where I don't feel the burn and tingles but the severity of the burn is going up and down..oral surgeon said tingles/burn was good but I have read about those that these sensations have never gone and he did this too me so what else is he going to say...all I can do now is take it day by day and try to remain mentally well...I am luckily as I have a partner, so don't have to go through this alone but no one truly knows the extent of constant pain unless u have it so I try not to unload all the time as it becomes the centre of discussion too much.  I am going to get on with things from here and prob will stop writing here for a while but will visit, read posts and provided up date in say 2 weeks..oh..one more thing..oral surgeon gave me steroids and Tegretol..I will take the one course of steroids as still have some very minor swelling and pain on the right jaw but the Tergretol I'm not sure of...does it really help with tongue pain from lingual damage and it has some very nasty side effects? Anyone tried this ?
I've just had a wisdom tooth taken out and my lower jaw was numbed for it...I now am completely numb along my lower jaw but it's also spread to my ear and up towards my temple and along my eye, I'm wondering is this normal or has a nerve been affected? Would really appreciate some advice on this.
MY REG DENTIST TOOK OUT MY BOTTOM RIGHT WISDOM TOOTH AND I HAVE BEEN NUMB FOR ALMOST 2 WEEKS, i WAS ALSO WIDE AWAKE FOR IT. i HOWEVER DID NOT SIGN ANY WAVER OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER, I HAD NO IDEA THIS COULD HAPPEN?? WHAT DO I DO?
I have the same thing sarah... 2 years after and the right side of my lip/chin is numb, as well as part of my tongue.  You are not alone!! As hard as it is, lets work hard to find a solution.  Doctors are wrong about MANY things; I refuse to accept that this is permanent, and I believe there is a solution out there somewhere.
Hey Everyone,
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted about 5 months ago and right after the surgery I felt a stabbing electric shock pain emanating from the right side of my tongue. That feeling went away after a few days, then I felt no pain but lots of tingling, tongue biting, speech impairment but no pain. At the 2 1/5 month mark I started to feel progress, I could feel hot and cold, I can taste, could feel spicy and I could feel pin pricks. Now I am at the 5 month mark and today I think my tongue is about 75% healed. Istill feel tingling and my tongue still feels heavy when I talk but I haven't bitten my tongue in 3 months, I can chew normally. Talking is still a little bit challenging, also I feel hypersensitivity when I eat something hot it is super hot. I went to the the maxifacial surgeon and he told me I didn't need surgery but just monitoring of my tongue. He also recommended I do sensory re-education exercises to help re-train my tongue. It is like conditioning but for your tongue so it can remember to be a tongue again. He explained it like this: Your tongue doesn't remember how to be a tongue and by having your brain open new neuropathways to your tongue you can make it feel like a tongue again." At first I thought it was just a placebo but I am just 3 weeks into the exercises. I really hope I do not receive any additional pain in the future as this is somewhat bearable right now. Let me know if anyone else feels this way and I will make sure to keep updating my progress.
Thank you for sharing. This gives me hope. I had my wisdom teeth removed 11 days ago and my oral surgeon said it's likely the nerve was bruised. I feel tingling and can distinguish hot/cold. I will continue to take b12 and try to just forget about it. Hopefully it will return to normal soon.
Just wondering how you are now? Are you still numb?
HI Im having the same effects as you and im stressed out its been a week and a few days now.....is ther any help for it?
Atleast I feel better now knowing I'm not alone in this. I though its because I smoked before my the wound was fully recovered and got an infection. The dentist didn't even tell not to smoke before the wound was healed. atleast the is hope for me now
I am happy to say that I had the numbness too, and was on a mission to make sure it went away. I iced it over and over and when I woke up this morning it was almost completely gone. I say it is worth the try since it is a nerve, I thought maybe icing would help stimulate healing. Hop this helps someone else too, as if I had to go years like that I would be devistated.
Has anyone here filed a lawsuit for their parasthesia?  My bad luck was inflicted upon me three weeks.  It's hell.
I am still numb on the bottom left side of my lip and bottom le side of my chin. got  my bottom wisdom tooth taken out 2 weeks ago.. still waiting.. Went back to the oral surgeon for a check and  i told him i was still numb and he told me it is normal and it should come back  soon.  i also talked to mt uncle who is a dentist and he  said the feeling will come back. can take up to a month.  I hope this is the truth..
Hello.   I was just wondering  exactly where did you ice it.. I can't feel  my bottom part of my lip or chin.. I am tired of  being numb!! I just want it to go away already.. i am hoping ice will work for me as it did  for you..  
Hi all. I just had my wisdom tooth operation 3 weeks ago. Until now I still have numbness on my front gum, half lower lip and half chin. It is gradually come back to normal. But I still have partially numbness. And feels like something push my front below teeth. I don't feel pain but I'm uncomfortable with this situation. I will update my progress and hopefully there will be a significant progress and I will be normal again. I stop taking vitamin b12. Now I try to eat healthy, no alcohol, not smoking and exercise regularly.  And I take fish oil. Hopefully it will help and also trying not to be in a bad mood because somehow all the negativity influence my healing. Hopefully people here update their success to be normal again. Cheers
The bottom left of my chin is numb for about 2 years now, I am still hoping it will get back to normal one day. Lesson learned - don't do any surgery to your body.
not to smoke is a common sense just like if you are having a baby if you are a female.
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! I am on day 3/4 and I am just hoping for the best... Do you think doing exercises might help?
It's almost 3 months now and my numbness is still about 20 percent more. I'm healing gradually but really slow. My below teeth is back to be normal again, no more Pain sensation on my gum. I still have numbness but it's almost gone now. There is a hope. The most important don't let yourself become negative because of your numbness. Your happiness is influence your healing. I will update again about my numbness if it's 100 percent gone. Cheers
Yesss exercises really help me. Make sure you are not stressed with your numbness. Cheers
Had both my bottom impacted wisdom teeth removed in hospital 4 weeks ago.Both sides between the end of my jaw by my ear and my chin feels swollen!Its the most irritating feeling in the world!!!!The specialist doesnt belive me he says that my face wont go "dead" there that it would be my lip and chin!Please help i'm not talking nonsence.It feels swollen but isnt!Please help
I had a friend who had some wisdom teeth taken out and his face and tongue were numb for about a month and a half, but then everything got better. I just got four wisdom teeth taken out and the right side of my face is still numb inside and out. It's been three weeks only though, so I don't think I will have any trouble with recovery. I'll just keep praying, because that is what counts :)
God is great!
My right lower chin, gum and lip were numb right after all four of the wisdom teeth were taking out. For two weeks I thought it wasn't getting better at all but then the feeling started to come back. 54 days later, I can feel my gums as well as before, pretty much all of the right side of my lip and 80% of the chin. I was worrying like crazy but there is definitely hope for everyone and from what I've heard it comes back most of the time. There are methods like medication or electrotherapy that can help bring the feeling back. Stay strong you guys!
hi Sarah, sorry to hear your story. How are you? Does the numbness go away?
Hi ,just wanted to say to the people suffering of the numb chin and lip on left side after wisdom teeth removal,there is hope I had my surgery done 15September it is now 3November and I'm extremely happy to say mine has gone back to normal.So give it patience it does return :)
I had my wisdom tooth extracted on 31st january 2017 i had my top right wisdom tooth extracted and now my chin down to my bottom of my chin right side lips to lower right side lips is getting numb and like having like sensation feeling i never used to have this before, my chin mostly on the left side is slightly numb but im very scared why this is getting worse for me also my bottom right side is slightly swollen
Hey dear...hw u doin??...i am facing similar issues...did your numbness improved??
Hey i am having the same syntoons worried about it. How long did it take to go away?
Hey did you recover?
Hi. I had my lower wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago and still have some symptoms. My left side chin, lip and gums are partially numb and my right side tongue feels like it was burnt and is slightly painful when I rub it along my teeth. I get a pain in my chin like it's trying to burst sometimes and my front teeth are being pushed together.  After reading some positive and negative I will defo keep everyone updated. I'm only 2 weeks post op so I have a sore jaw and extraction sites aren't 100% yet. I did have an infection in one site which was horrendous pain I can't even describe but my week of antibiotics has just finished so hopefully it's cleared up. I had this done under GA at the hospital and there is no follow up so I am seeing my dentist from now on.  Please ask questions if you like.
Do you tightness stiffness too in chin
Yes it feels like a tightness in the chin and sometimes like little electric shocks or fuzziness.
I had my wisdom teeth removed last week and I'm having the same Exact numbness on the right side. I'm also having a weird sensation of soreness and pain under the numbness if that makes any sense.. it's really hard to explain . I wonder is that normal?
I'm getting my wisdom tooth taken out next month. The specialist says I may end up being numb because of the nerve the tooth is on. Hoping it won't it be permanent. Reading all these comments is scaring me since being numb doesn't seem fun at all.
I'm having mine removed next month, same case, please update on yours