Dental Health Community
Pediatric Tooth Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Pediatric Tooth Fracture

I moved to Mexico City a few months ago.

My daughter is 18 months old and about 4 weeks ago she fell and broke her four upper incissors. The breaks were horizontal and at about the mid portion of her teeth.

In addition, she has tooth decay in those same teeth related to drinking from a bottle through the night. We have since almost taken her off the bottle (whe now drinks one before going to sleep and one in the morning (as opposed to bottles every few hours through the night, as she used to do before).

She seems to have a little bit of tooth sensitivity, but does not seem to be in pain. She eats most things we give to her.

We took her to a pediatric dentist the same day of the accident. He told us she needed to have crowns on her four incissors and may or may not need a pulpectomy (pulpotomy? spelling?)... Given her age, the doctor said it would have to be done under general anesthesia.

I know the risks of pediatric anesthesia are nowadays relatively small. However, I would personally like to defer this if it won't have any negative consequence to the integrity of her teeth.

My question is: what is the risk/downside of waiting let's say 18 months or so until she is 3 years old and is old enough to understand what is going on and can cooperate and have the procedure without general anesthesia?

Thanks for your help!
It appears that injured teeth are vital. However, the pulp tissue may turn out necrotic later on. Assuming pulp vitality test was performed when you brought your daughter to the pediatric dentist. Another pulp vitality test needs to be performed 2-4 weeks later. If pulp is non-vital in the future, root canal treatment is indicated.