Dental Health Community
Periodontitis and bridge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Periodontitis and bridge

I had a bridge fitted a couple years ago. Never had any problems with it until recently when I noticed my gums bleeding on the inside of the bridge. After careful inspection with the mirror, I realised I might have periodontitis in that area. I have done some research of the Internet and some of the symptoms are there... swelling, bleeding, larger spaces in between gums, gums that are beginning to detach from the prosthesis. I have an appointment with my dentist next week for proper diagnosis and treatment. I am concerned about this situation and have tried to find some information on the periodontitis around teeth with a bridge fitted, however I have not being able to find anything useful. Have you got any suggestion? Any help would be really appreciated. Many thanks YayaY
-8 Comments Post a Comment
Half peroxide/half water rinses will help the gums as far as swelling and bleeding.  You probably also need to have a good cleaning around the bridge to make sure there isn't tartar/calculus built up around the bridge.  Periodontal issues usually stem from not keeping areas clean.  It's harder to clean around bridges because of the gap between the two natural teeth.  You can buy floss threaders to help in flossing underneath the "middle" part of the bridge.