Permanent retainer fell off
How long does a permanent retainer meant to stay glued on your teeth?

I have my braces taken off 8 years ago, I wear my retainer 24/7 for a few months after and I've been wearing my retainer ever since the orthodontist allowed me to wear at night time only. I've missed a night or two if I'm staying a night at some other place or when I travel and it requires overnight journey. I got my front teeth wired, and it just fell out today. I wonder if it meant to fall out after a few number of years wearing it or is it meant to stay on the teeth for life?

I just got my orthodontist appointment booked, however I'm a little concern because my usual orthodontist is in another country and I know that not all orthodontist work with the same method - and plus I haven't been in an orthodontist since my last and final appointment 8 years ago. Anybody has any pointers? I'd appreciate it very much.
btw, I forgot to mention that the permanent retainer is behind the bottom front teeth, and I wear my retainer on my upper teeth everynight even until today.