Dental Health Expert Forum
Please doctors answer my broken tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Please doctors answer my broken tooth

It is really depressing...i was at work in the toilet and there was a wet foor and in a second i found my self on my face with a broken front tooth...i searched for my tooth and i found it i didnt feel any pain except in my inner lip it was bleeding my tooth too....but nothing in the gum above my tooth...i went to the dentist immeadiatly he told meafter the x ray that the nerve is exposed after removing it he found a crack a vertical one from the right to the left....he told me that he cant put a crown and an implant must be done...he put a composite instead of the tooth and asked me to come for an implant but the dental surgeon who will work with him told me to make a panoramic and a periapical before taking the decision of the implant it showed that my roots are good and i dont feel any pain but it doesnt show the crack...i saw the crack in the mirror i know it is there but no one can now how deep is it...till now i dont feel any pain...which is better a crown or an implan am really sad it makes me look ugly...if i put a crown will it be permenat or it may fall infront of people...it is a painless but it hurts deep inside my soul....what shall i do....The crack is in the middle of the tooth from the right to the left we can see it from the plan view (am an architect) but cant be seen as elevation
Its hard to detect a crack on a tooth even with an x-ray because an x-ray is a two dimensional picture of a three dimensional object so cracks can easily hide.  It sounds like your two options are an implant or a root canal/crown type of treatment.  If there's sufficient tooth structure and you don't mind taking a risk, the root canal/crown may be the better option.  But there's no way to guarantee success with that treatment due to the inability to know how deep the crack is and whether or not it is completely removed.  

An implant would be a better, more predictable option but would require a good dentist to perform it to maintain the gum/bone health after the implant is placed.  An improperly placed implant can result in some gum/bone recession and since its a cosmetic area, I would opt for the crown/root canal.  But again, there's no way to say that it would be successful.
Thank you so much..there are about 10 mm or more....i think that i may go for the crown but how long will it take to discover the failure or the successof it after putting the crown?
Its hard to say. There's a lot of possibilities for failure.  There could be pain, swelling, the tooth may break, it could get loose, etc.