Dental Health Expert Forum
Popping jaw

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Popping jaw
Hey everyone. Here's the story...everytime I open my mouth to eat, yawn, whatever, my jaw pops.  I mostly feel it on my right side. Esp when I yawn, it feels like it gets stuck when I go to close it, and it always makes this huge popping sound and it hurts. Any idea what this is or what causes it? And do I need to see someone for this? Any help would be great. Thanks!!
There is a disc that is present between the condylar head of the lower jaw and an eminence present on the upper jaw. It is possible that the disc is being dislocated and causing the noise. This should be investigated by a dentist that specializes in TMJ dysfunction.
basically what this means is the joint where the upper and lower jaw meet is called in short the tmj. it can make a popping or clicking or cause pain. it sometimes can be helped by wearing a device that helps with the nightime grinding or clenching. chewing gum and hard foods will make it worse. your dentist needs to evaluate by an exam and probably a panoramic xray to look at the joint themselves. sometimes a poor bite is the cause which braces can help. i hope this answers your question a bit more.
I had TMJ which caused a lot of pain and migraines.  Even though my teeth were straight and pretty, I had to get braces because my bite was off (thus causing the TMJ).  After a few months in braces, the pain and headaches cleared right up!!  I am almost finished with the treatment and the braces are coming off soon.

Best wishes!
I just came off of having braces on for 3 years, so there has to be another solution....hopefully?
Looks like TMJ. While best solution is to consult a TMJ specialist, you can try a simple way to releive pain for temporary relief. Take a small lotion or shampoo bottle, fill with hot water and press the bottom of the bottle INTERMETTENTLY on the joint near the ear, where upper and lower jaw meets. Do this a couple of times a day- but make sure you don't burn yourself. This is only a temporary relief measure, but it helped my husband who was gettin headaches from TMJ. Also, do not chew gum or eat hard foods.