Dental Health Expert Forum
Possible Infection After Filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Possible Infection After Filling

A month ago I had several fillings done on the left side of my mouth, a week later i had the right side done. All together I had about 10 fillings done, varying severity. About 4 days ago i started feeling pain in the left side of my gums and jaw. Then 2 days ago the jaw stopped hurting and now it just one tooth that I have severe pain in, so bad i can't bite down at all without pain. I went to my dentist this morning and after being in there for all of 10 mins and him looking at a new xray of my tooth told me it was a deep filling, but its possible that the nerve is dying and i need a root canal. He gave me a script of penicillan and told me to call him tomorrow and if it wasn't any better we'd do the root canal tomorrow. I'm just not sure I really trust what he's telling me. First if the nerve was dying wouldn't he be able to tell when he took the full mouth xray and the bitewings just a month ago. And he really didn't spend anytime looking at my tooth. Also one day on antibiotics isn't really enough time for them to do any good.
1 Comment
no just by taking an cray you cant really tell if the nerve is dyin....thats why he started with the filings, if you still having more sensitivity and the filling is deep he is probably right and that nerve is dying and you need a root canal.... i agree you should be on antibiotics for more then just one day but if no infection no need for them... he probably just making sure infection not starting,,,,

sounds like hr is a good dentist and know whathe is doing....good luck