Dental Health Expert Forum
Possible Infection After Filling
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible Infection After Filling

A month ago I had several fillings done on the left side of my mouth, a week later i had the right side done. All together I had about 10 fillings done, varying severity. About 4 days ago i started feeling pain in the left side of my gums and jaw. Then 2 days ago the jaw stopped hurting and now it just one tooth that I have severe pain in, so bad i can't bite down at all without pain. I went to my dentist this morning and after being in there for all of 10 mins and him looking at a new xray of my tooth told me it was a deep filling, but its possible that the nerve is dying and i need a root canal. He gave me a script of penicillan and told me to call him tomorrow and if it wasn't any better we'd do the root canal tomorrow. I'm just not sure I really trust what he's telling me. First if the nerve was dying wouldn't he be able to tell when he took the full mouth xray and the bitewings just a month ago. And he really didn't spend anytime looking at my tooth. Also one day on antibiotics isn't really enough time for them to do any good.