Dental Health Community
Possible root fracture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Possible root fracture?

While eating a soft cookie, I heard/felt a loud cracking sound from my mouth followed by pain below my 2nd molar. The pain was intense for the 1st 24 hours, but has subsided somewhat. When I chew even very soft food on the other side, the pain begins to intensify to the point that I can barely finish a bowl of chicken noodle soup.
I visited my dentist who advised that he could see no issue. 3 weeks prior, I had my lower wisdom teeth removed. He flushed some food from the hole and suggested that I wait about a week to see if the pain improves. He did advise the possibility of a fractured root (the tooth had a root canal and crown about 3 months ago) but wanted wait before settling on that conclusion.

He had no explanation for the cracking sound. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The pain seems to be mostly in my jaw below the tooth and maybe not at the tooth itself - hard to tell... The pain intensifies with chewing on either side of even the softest of foods. Could it possibly be a jaw bone fracture related to the wisdom tooth extraction? If so, what should I expect from a pain standpoint? How long is the healing process? Etc...

Any advice and/or insight is greatly appreciated. Havn't eaten much in 3 weeks, lost over 25 pounds the hard way! Thanks for your help!
Hi...you need to call your dentist because something is obviously wrong.  Did he xray the area to look for a fracture of any sort?  You shouldn't be suffering like this, and he needs to look further.  If you don't get any answers for him, look for an emergency dentist in your area and get a second opinion.  This should have not been allowed to go on this long and it makes me question the integrity of your dentist.  I hope you can get some relief.  Do take care.
I guess a proper dental check up is required.
Dentist in Hamilton
I trust the integrity of my dentist completely. He is one of the very few doctors whom I do trust. Excellent in every facet. He did xray and could see no problem. Not wanting to assume the worst (root fracture) he suggested waiting a week to see if the pain improves. If not, he will probe further. I have improved some. The pain is more manageable now though eating is still a problem. Even with an extremely soft diet, any chewing even on the opposite side causes the pain to return and intensify. Today, I did a tap test on the tooth and noticed a sharp pain. Hoping and believing for the best and will check back with my dentist on Moday to see what he advises. Going to travel for vacation next week. I will just have to make the best of it! Thanks for your comments.