Dental Health Community
Post Dental Implant Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Post Dental Implant Infection

I recently had a dental implant placed.  The surgery was only 4 days ago now.  Prior to the surgery I had no signs of any infections and was not sick.  I was prescribed antibiotics by the oral surgeon as a preventative measure for any post surgery infection.

about two days later I had a lot of inflammation and pain and what felt like a large abscess.  I have continued to rinse with salt water after each meal and have followed the guidelines my oral surgeon gave me, along with taking the antibiotics regularly.

As of today, 4 days post surgery, the swelling has gone down and it is not as painful to touch, but I still have pain at the site.

Is it possible the infection came about during the surgery, since I had no pre-existing infection?  How soon should I contact my dentist/oral surgeon to have them look at it?  I really want the implant to work and I did not have any complications during the surgery.  In fact the process felt completely painless.

Also, since I'm on amoxicillin, was prescribed for 8 days, I want to make sure the infection is gone before I am no longer on antibiotics.

Any advice?  Is this normal?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
A dental implant infection can occur any time after the implant either immediately after surgery, few days to few months after the surgery. Poor sterilization, dental implant contamination, poor oral hygiene, poor material quality, improper implant placement etc are few of the predisposing factors for post implant infection. It is very important to find and treat the cause of the dental implant infection. Treatment of the cause is very important to treat it and prevent recurrences. The dentist will normally clean the area and prescribe antibiotics to fight the infection .If the inflammation is due to improper crown size or shape removal of abnormal crown restoration may be needed. See your dentist as soon as possible. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!