Dental Health Expert Forum
Post-Root Canal Hot/Cold Sensitivity

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Post-Root Canal Hot/Cold Sensitivity

Four weeks ago, an Endodontist performed a root canal on a lower molar.  Since that time I continue to experience senstivity to hot and cold that seems to be coming from that same tooth.  I can feel when I tap on that tooth, but not when tapping on the surrounding teeth.

Is this an unusual problem?  When I return to my Endodontist, what questions should I ask to make sure he deals with the problem appropriately?  In calling him he has said that it could not be the tooth that had the root canal, but must be a surrounding tooth.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You may be experiencing the hot and cold sensitivity from another tooth and the tapping sensitivity could be from the root canal treated tooth.  That would make the most sense to me from your explanation.
I had an infection in a tooth which had a root canal performed over 10 years ago (tooth #29).  Since the tooth's root split in two pieces and a post was inserted into the tooth prior to a cap, it was determined that I had a 50 / 50% chance of saving the tooth.  I had the tooth extracted (was planning on an implant).  Donor bone was used to fill the hole.  It is now 5 days later and I am still having pain.  Could the pain be attributed to the infection / abcess (abscess) or the donor bone?  What else could be causing the pain?

Hi!  A few weeks ago, I went and saw an Endodontist about pain that I had on a upper molar.  He did a serious of tests including, taking x-rays and performing a cold sensitivity exam.  He reassured me that everything look normal and there was no need for anything to be done.  What has me somewhat worried however, is that when he did the exam to see how sensitive my teeth were to the cold, the one which was bothering me didn't feel much cold at all.  He said i was ok.  But was this normal?  Thank you for your time.