Dental Health Community
Post Root Canal Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Post Root Canal Pain

Several years ago I had a filling done in #20.  The dentist told me then that the filling was so deep that eventually the tooth might need a root canal.  It lasted about 7 years.  About six months ago I went in for my cleaning and I had been putting it off due to a retiring dentist.  I had sensitivity to cold and hot.  I was told after an exray that I need an root canal and that I could wait if I wanted to until it really hurt.  Which I did.  About two weeks ago I was in extreme pain.  However, I really didn't know what pain was until now.  As of Friday I went in for a root canal.  They took it out and said that it was dead.  It was small and grey and very smelly.  I was told I had an infection and they put me on 150mg of Clyindmican (sp?).  I have been in extreme pain for the past few days.  Yesterday was excruciating.  I can not begin to tell you how bad I hurt.  The lortabs and ibuprofen is not helping or just barely taking the edge off.  I don't know what to do.  I was told to hang in there that with the amount of infection I had that this is pretty typical.  My head hurts, my ears hurt, my tooth area hurts.  I can't chew on it as of yet.  What do I do?  Any suggestions would be great.  Do I get a second option?  I am fairly certain he got all the root b/c he  did take an ex-ray after with that instrument inside the canal.  But what do I know.  I am not a dentist.  Help please.  
It does sound like you have quite an infection going on. That's the cause of the pain. You are going to keep the tooth, right? If so, you have to let the infection get under control before having the root canal. Did your dentist put a temporary filling in the tooth? If I were you, I would give the antibiotics another day or two. If you are still having this pain, get back in to see the dentist. You may need stronger antibiotics. Are you taking your meds 3 to 4 times a day?  
Oh, yes I do believe I have a bad infection.  I was on clyndimycin and as of last night they switched me to Augmentin.  I have taken two pills and I am still in pain.  I take these twice a day.  But still in pain.  So bad that I am just popping lortabs and advils as often as I am allowed.  I will be ok for a few hours but then it starts pounding.  So bad I want to cry.  Yes, my dentist put a temporary filling in the tooth.  This is day 5 and I am still in pain.  I would most likely like to keep the tooth.  Its #20 so you would have to have an implant and I know that is really expensive and I am self employed so no dental insurance.  I am going to wait until tonight and see what happens.  But at this point what are my options?  Extractions? Can they open it back up and let it air?  I don;t know...So tired.  Headaches, toothaches.  Dang stop the pain.  I am a 35 year old healthy woman.  I have a 4 year old that I have to take care of.  I dont need to be in excruciating pain.  Sorry I got off on a tangent.  Thanks for your thoughts.