Dental Health Community
Post Root Canal Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Post Root Canal Pain

I have had three root canals in the last four years on teeth  #'s 5, 12, & 18.  Although they are in the upper left, lower left and upper right, the pain is identical and only around or in these three teeth.  There is just a little dull pain in their normal state but just by barely tapping these three teeth with a fingernail the pain is very bad and even when brushing these teeth it hurts. It is painful when chewing and I have to be careful not to bite on anything hard.  There is also pain in a space in the gum area around # 5 when brushing or flossing.  Hot or cold things do not seem to cause any pain.  I have been to three endodontists and three dentists and they all took x-rays each time and they all say that the root canals were done correctly and they have no idea what is wrong and the only solution is to extract the teeth.  I have also been given antibiotics to no avail.  I don't understand the correlation between three different teeth in three different locations and all having the exact same problem and with no problems to the other teeth or gums.  I would appreciate your opinions and help.
I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say that I am having the same problem following a root canal in lower molar.  Same irritation you described (tapping tooth and flossing, etc.) and I've been to my dentist and endodontist and both have examined and taken x-rays of tooth and can find no problem with the root canals (clean) or gum area.  My dentist said he sees no cause for extraction.  I am also at a lose to get this resolved.  I wish you luck.
Thanks for your comment.  I am going to my dentist in a couple of weeks and it looks like I will have to have these three teeth extracted as the pain is getting much worse.  Hopefully the pain will go away but they offer no guarantee of that either so will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Thanks again.