Dental Health Expert Forum
Post Root Canal Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Post Root Canal Pain

Hello!
I had a Root Canal done 10 days ago and have finished a round of antibiotics also. I am still having pain in that tooth. Most of the time I am ok as long as there is no direct pressure. Does it take a longer time for some Root Canals to heal? I go back in two weeks for the filling and to have some more work done on the opposite side of my mouth. It is a possibility that I may have to have a Root Canal on one of those teeth. I am scared I may not be able to chew at all after that. Any suggestions on what should come next? I appreciate anyone answering me here. Thanks so much.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It i s important that the tooth that has had the root canal be taken out of occlusion. This means that if you close your mouth normally you should not be able to touch the tooth. I would not fill the tooth until it was asymtomatic.At times it does take a while for the tooth to settle down. I can't give you an opinion on the other side.Go back to the dentist if you feel the bite has to be adjusted, it is very important.
sometimes it takes a while for the tooth to calm down. make sure that when you gently close your mouthm you do not touch this tooth with the opposing tooth. if you do, thed bite needs to be adjusted.
Does occulision include AFTER the tooth has been crowned?
excellent question!!   usually not--typically a crown shold not be placed on a tooth until you can tap on the tooth and not feel pain. even then, though,  you do want a crown to have "light" or "even"contact, not heavy. Sometimes it is indeed preferable not to have any contact on a crown-- for instance possibly on a substantially weakened (due to decay or fracture or sometimes the existence of a root canal/post) front tooth where esthetics is the primary concern, and where allowing chewing forces on the tooth could cause it to break becasue it is more fragie. remember front teeth by design are already thinner and "skinnier" than back teeth. they also have only one root and are not as well supported in the bone.
hello~
My tooth is slowly starting to settle down. I am down to taking motrin once a day. I also posted at experts.com and an endodontist wrote back and said it sounded like I had Endodontice Flare-up. Has anyone had this problem before? Does it heal all on its own or will I need some other kind of treatment? I tried to look it up on the web but did not find much. This is all confusing to me, especially when I am scheduled to go back and possibly have another root canal. My general dentist did my first RC, I am thinking I may need to see a specialist.
Sorry spelling typo above, I meant to say Endodontic Flare-up^_^