Dental Health Expert Forum
Post Root Canal Pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post Root Canal Pain

Hi
About 4 years ago i had a root canal performed on my upper right molar tooth.  3 and a 1/2 years later the root canaled tooth became infected (abscess) and my endodontist performed another root canal to make sure that all the canals had been "sterilized".  After the re-treat, the pain went away.  However, my root canaled tooth has become infected once again.  The problem is that right now i do not have access to any dental care since i am working on a very small island in the Caribbean.  I will be going back to the US in 2 months, so until then i was wondering if there is any temporary treatment i can use to relieve the pain of the infection (maybe an Antibiotic? If so will that antibiotic prevent a reinfection for atleast 2 months?) Do you think i will have to have my root canaled tooth extracted when i go back to the US, since this is the second time an infection has happened in this tooth even after a retreat?
Thanks
Related Discussions
If you're not allergic to penicillin, that is the best antibiotic for your situation.   As for when you get back, It's tough to tell without seeing you or an x-ray.  It may need  an apicoectomy or possibly an extraction.  Apicoectomy is surgical procedure to clean out infection from the root tips end of the tooth.  Good Luck.
2 Comments
Blank
I work in the dental field and see things like this periodically.  If infection is present...ie a gum boil, swelling, fistula tract, ect...then an antibiotic will help.  You may also try taking anti-inflammatory pain med..like advil, etc...or have a pain med prescribed.  Most importantly please check with a dentist, doctor, etc... b/c you definitely need to address the tooth.  Remember you can always get a second opinion on the rct treatment.  Is the tooth crowned, broken, or does it still have a temp. filling in it?  Good luck
I-believe-n-u
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker