Dental Health Expert Forum
Post Root Canal and swollen lymph nodes

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Post Root Canal and swollen lymph nodes

I had a root canal done 2 weeks ago. I was put on one antibiotic and then another. The pain went away with the second antibiotic. The tooth does not have pain, but feels different.

I noticed that my lymph nodes on my neck are swollen, the same side that had the root canal. Does this mean I could still have an infection in the tooth or could the lymph nodes being swollen related to something else? How can the dentist find out if I still have an infection in my tooth without opening the tooth? I just got my permentant filling done yesterday, since I have not been in pain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It might take awhile for the radiographic infection to   clear up. It is possible that the lymph nodes are involved with the periapical infection that was present. It is too early for the dentist to see any change in the x-ray so I don't think it is necessary at this point. It would make no sense to open the tooth if it is asymptomatic. It can take a long time for the infection to clear up.
1 Comment
A related discussion, root canal/tooth pain was started.