Dental Health Expert Forum
Post Wisdom Teeth Extraction: Food stuck in gums
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post Wisdom Teeth Extraction: Food stuck in gums

I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed aboved 2 weeks ago. It didn't require any surgery, and there were no stitches applied afterwards. Everything has healed well since then. Unfortunately, after eating I'm left with pieces of chewed food jammed into the holes where my teeth used to be.

I contacted my dentist's office, and all they suggested was to rinse with warm water. That helps a little bit once in a while, but rarely works completely. I end up trying to gently dig out the particles with the curved end of a tooth scraper. I recently purchashed a dental irrigator to (hopefully) help flush things out more effectively, but it has not arrived in the mail yet - and regardless, I can't carry it around pick with me everywhere to use after every meal.

The situation is not painful, but it's outrageously irritating. Can I expect these holes to close up at all? Will I be dealing with this nuisance long term? Any tips on how to take care of these new holes in my head? Thanks a lot!
Tags: irritable