Dental Health Expert Forum
Post tooth extraction bone/gum healing issues

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Two weeks ago I had tooth #21 extracted. Several days after the extraction I did develop a partial dry socket that has since felt much better and the open hole is shrinking now. As the gums around the tooth socket continue to shrink/heal I have developed a very sore spot on the lip side of my gums 4mm below the edge of the socket. Upon feeling & looking at it it appears that the top part of the tooth socket cracked and there is now a rough edge along this fracture with a sharp edge below the gums. (This fracture feels like it goes all the way down to the base of the gum area but is more subtle further down). Whenever I smile or move my lips it is sore. There is no bone protruding from the area and no bleeding/swelling.

My question is, over time will the bone underneath the gums restructure and smooth out or if not, what procedure would be done to correct the issue. I don't want to go in for an un-necessary procedure if it will heal on its own. I am scheduled to go back in two more weeks to start the process of getting a bridge.

Thank you!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Over time the bone will resorb and get smoother where you had the extraction.   The procedure, if you feel that your issue is too painful to tolerate, would be to open the gums up, smooth the bone and suture closed.  Only if it doesn't get better or you can't tolerate it.  It usually gets better and it's not necessary to surgically intervene.  Discuss this with your dentist when you start the bridge process.
these are questions you need to ask the dentist who did the extraction. A film should be taken. In an ideal situation, a loose bony fragment should be removed (not difficult--it's already loose) so proper healing can take place and the tissue heals properly. you do not want problems under the bridge.